UKC

had acciedent but dont want to loose out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Killianmurphy 09 Mar 2009
hey there

a week ago i was at a climbing wall which i often work at with my brother and sister and while abseiling my brother lost control and i fell a good 15ft on my back thank fully only occuring hyper tension in my muscles nothing broken or fractured my brother on the other hand lost use of two of his fingers due to him gripping suddendly he now has to do alot to get use out of them again.

anyway i was wondering considering its gona take a good 6 weeks (the docter told me) before i can climb properly again is there any exersise i can do in the mean time to build up/back any strength i may have lost or could loose.

i know full well not to climb at all until week 3-4 of my recovery but is there anything i can do that wont strain my back

i currently have borrower a grip master for finger and fore arm strength but i feel i may loose some core strength due to the bed rest i have had

any ideas ?
OP Killianmurphy 09 Mar 2009
In reply to killianmurphyjade: noticed an error

my brother only has to try and get his tendons back in to shape they still move alittle
Removed User 09 Mar 2009
In reply to killianmurphyjade:

Nice one, but a Troll is still a Troll despit all of the effort!
 Trangia 09 Mar 2009
>
while abseiling my brother lost control and i fell a good 15ft on my back
>

I am puzzled. What has your falling whilst abseiling got to do with your brother losing control? Why weren't you in control?
In reply to Trangia: My guess is that his brother was lowering him off...but you knew that already

I've taken a few newbies to the wall and when they say "I really liked the abseiling" I haven't got the heart to correct them.

indoor wall and top rope .. ok so i was being lowered id rather advise on stuff i can do rather then the correctness of what i am say thanks
 liz j 09 Mar 2009
I would be more concerned about tha fact that you both work at the climbing wall, hope it's just serving coffee and not keeping an eye on people and their belaying techniques!!!!
 Matt Vigg 09 Mar 2009
In reply to various:

That's the way, kick a man while he's down.

To the OP:

You're best bet might to talk to a sports physio, they'll appreciate you want to keep fit and strong until you're better and might be able to give you some exercises to do until you've recovered.
RichD 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Matt Vigg:

At last someone without their head in their arse.

Yeah, the above is good advice. If you want to get back quickly and even more powerful than before speak to a physio.
 speekingleesh 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Matt Vigg:
> (In reply to various)
>
> That's the way, kick a man while he's down.

Wouldn't worry, it'll be 6 weeks before he can get up again by which time you can be long gone...
 jkarran 09 Mar 2009

3 or 4 weeks off won't do you any serious harm. If you're still anxious to do some training then speak to your doctor/physiotherapist about it, see what they recommend.

Get well soon and have some patience.
jk

P.S. If you want a better response from people on here then make an effort to post clearly and check your spelling. Your post is almost indecipherable.
 dunc56 09 Mar 2009
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to killianmurphyjade)
>
> 3 or 4 weeks off won't do you any serious harm. If you're still anxious to do some training then speak to your doctor/physiotherapist about it, see what they recommend.
>
> Get well soon and have some patience.
> jk
>
> P.S. If you want a better response from people on here then make an effort to post clearly and check your spelling. Your post is almost indecipherable.

"I'm a student at Staffordshire univesity, that has recently taken up climbing due to a friend that took me up a HVD on my first climb"

hmmmmmmmmm

jkarran 09 Mar 2009
In reply to dunc56:

Hmmm... I assumed he was a troll but sometimes it's worth giving people the benefit of the doubt.

jk
 dunc56 09 Mar 2009
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to dunc56)
>
> Hmmm... I assumed he was a troll but sometimes it's worth giving people the benefit of the doubt.
>
> jk

I know, I know. I was so close to going off on one about the standard of education these days, but I didn't.

Oh sh1t - yes I did.

To be honest, I thought it was going to be a "sue the wall" troll.

sankster 09 Mar 2009
Hi, sorry to hear about the fall. Bed rest is a bad idea, keep moving, gently and don't let your muscles get stiff. Core stability exersises would be good, get a big gym ball and practise balancing (seated!) on the gym ball. Gentle swimming might be good for fitness whilst being gentle on your back? xx
just to clear things

1 im the only one that works at the climbing centre and it probably my fault that i didnt check my brother was still able to lower off properly, but he has done it many times before without fail

2 im a design student that suffers from dyslexia, so im sorry my wording is crappy but i do my best

3 im doing my SPA course and the climbing centre i work at offered me a job because i put in lot of work in assisting in session as a volunteer

all i wanted was some helpful advise from anyone who has been in my position not to get criticised over Spelling and Grammar

thanks to all those that have been giving advise im going to ask my GP about some of the things mentioned
 jkarran 09 Mar 2009

> just to clear things...

Much clearer

> all i wanted was some helpful advise from anyone who has been in my position not to get criticised over Spelling and Grammar

There's a difference between advice and criticism. I tried to word my spelling/grammar comments as friendly advice after I'd attempted to answer your question. Clear presentation will help you get a clear response, if you make the extra effort then so will others.

> thanks to all those that have been giving advise im going to ask my GP about some of the things mentioned

Good luck.
jk

mrjonathanr 09 Mar 2009
Hi killian hope you got the boots ok. My advice is that dead-hanging will put minimal strain on your back and the stretch might be good for your spine. Gentle swimming when possible is always good for mobility.
Hope you and your brother get better soon.
Jon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...