UKC

Rucsac choice for the D of E?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dek 13 Mar 2009
Hi
Any recommendations for a 6ft lanky teenagers gold expedition? Needs to be around 55-75Ltrs for the four day walk carrying all the usual tent, sleeping bag, stove and 4 days food in the Welsh hIlls.
Appreciate any Info Thanks!
 GarethSL 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek: karrimor panther (60 i think) our school had a pile of them for our expeds, they were really rather comfortable.
 Wingnut 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek:
One that fits! A good outdoor shop should let you try various models with a load in . . .
In reply to dek: i have a macpak bag. they do some good stuff its heavy as bags go but its pretty comfy and seems hard as nails
 CarolineMc 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek: I've got a Karrimor Panther 75 litre with an adjustable back up for grabs... it's the pre-cheapo Karrimor and tough as nails, hardly used. Email me if you're interested! C-:
 Rawstron1 13 Mar 2009
In reply to CarolineMc: YHM dek
 Only a hill 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek:
Always used to be the Eurohike Wilderness 65 in my day! Not sure they're still made, but they're really good value and pretty solid.
 Shandy 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek:
I give my group Vango Sherpas - they are cheap (about £65, i think) but comfy.
 Gareth T 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek:

Don't go looking for one too big managed to do silver with a 40 Litre (and carry my share of the kit).

Used a 55/60 for Gold though, if you take more space you just pack more than you need and it just weighs a ton.
 MJH 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek: I'd agree with the poster that says if you have too much room you will fill it with stuff that isn't needed.

Karrimor used to be standard for DofE but I don't think the quality is as good now they are owned by Mike Ashley (IIRC).

If you can go to a shop to find one that fits properly when weighted.
 SFM 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek:

I guess it depends a lot on if they are going to use it again. No point in spending loads on something that will get used once then live in a cupboard. Maybe army surplus type place would be a plan if only going to be used once?
CMM and Decathlon if you have one near are always a good shout too.

Something comfy is probably the main criteria. Way back when our group used a mixture of old external frame rucsacs and things like Vango Eastwinds and our shoulders ached(and we moaned) the whole way.

I'm probably just stating the obvious here though!

SFM 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek:

Cotswold (online) have a couple of Macpac sacs for £70 so might be worth a look if going to be used again.
OP dek 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek:
Thanks for all the info folks!!
 flaneur 13 Mar 2009
In reply to dek:

External frame bright orange nylon Cobmaster.
OP dek 13 Mar 2009
In reply to flaneur:
Hah!
Sounds like I did the D of E!
 ianslade 14 Mar 2009
In reply to dek: If you are only going to use it for D of E once or twice I would say a Vango Fitzroy 60+10 / 70+10 is a good choice. if you plan on using it for other trips then send the extra money and buy a Lowe Alpine Wilderness Pack
Removed User 14 Mar 2009
One more tip if she is quite skinny / boney then sponges maybe useful. buy cheap large ones and cut them in half to provide extra padding around hips and collor bone. I'v worked on an assessmet before and they came in very useful for the girls on it. (sorry bout spelling)
 ben b 15 Mar 2009
In reply to dek: Borrow one that fits - has the advantage of being cheap and comfy. Don't do what I did and buy one on price / size - 20 years later (eek) I still have the scars, both physical and mental....

B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...