UKC

Walls near Southampton/Portsmouth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 19 May 2009
It's looking like I'm going to be based in Gosport during the week for 10-11 months from the end of September. I'll be keen to climb in the week as I wont get out much at weekends - where are the walls in the area and which are good?
Cheers
Si
 alan ashmore 19 May 2009
In reply to Si dH: There is Calshot just west of Southampton
 Oli 19 May 2009
In reply to Si dH:

Fort Purbrook
Calshot
Craggy Island (at a push)
Bognor Regis (I think)

I'd go to Purbrook as it's cheap and reasonably good for training.

Perhaps try the search function in the databases?
 Reach>Talent 19 May 2009
In reply to Si dH:
There are a couple of Calshot groups on facebook for climbing partners. Failing that drop me an email and I can put you in touch with a few potential partners.

Mike
 AJM 19 May 2009
In reply to Si dH:

Sounds like fun

I've not been doing Calshot as much since the new wall opened in Bristol, but its not too bad for routes. Would possibly pop down every now and again. Long distance commuting at weekends again?

AJM
Polhemic 20 May 2009
In reply to Si dH: I've no idea what it's like, but theres this place smack in the centre of Southampton.

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/leisure/leisure-centres/stmarys/climbing.asp

Looks like it's council run, so your mileage may vary.
 AJM 20 May 2009
In reply to Polhemic:

It's a squash court with holds and ropes. It's about 6m high but you have to tie in.

AJM
 owen1988 20 May 2009
In reply to Polhemic:
not been to the wall in centre of soton for a while so not sure about the routes etc, but from what i remember it was about £3 but was just a converted squash court so pretty small.
I recently looked at the calshot site and saw that it is charging more than £7, and that was for concession members, more if not! I think that is pretty obscene... and after the petrol to get all the way down to where the wall is and the cost of entry, if the weather is good you are better off driving another 50 mins and going to swanage for the evening for the cost. if you have the time that is...
 BazVee 20 May 2009
In reply to Si dH:

Alton and Midhurst both operated by high sports and the wall at the top of portsdown hill (located in fort purbrook) and one at Chichester

You need to check opening of Midh & Chi as not open to public all week
 bouldery bits 20 May 2009
In reply to AJM:

You leave my wall alone you! Seriously, St.Marys is a good little Wall to train at. Downside is that you'll have to park your car in St Marys, not for the faint hearted!

Calshot's Amazing and Fort Purbrook will turn you into a beast!
 AJM 20 May 2009
In reply to bouldery bits:

I guess I'm spoilt because the wall in Cambridge (that I'd previously thought was rubbish being a squash court covered in matting) is better because it at least had the plus side that you could climb the whole time rather than spending half your time tying in and untying in order to climb boulder problems.

AJM
martypants 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Si dH:

Alton is fab! well worth the journey, excellent bouldering, regular route sets, and the like. they have a rock club for adults on a monday night.

enjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...