UKC

Explain something about rock shoes to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 09 Jun 2009
Why do rock shoes not have treads moulded into the heels as standard? It would make steep grassy or muddy descents from climbs so much easier, and would not impair climbing ability in most situations. I can appreciate that for performance shoes this is of secondary importance, but I can't understand why normal middle-of-the-road shoes don't have some grippy treads on the heel.
 JoshOvki 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Only a hill:

I could see it causing problems when smearing with your whole foot. Less rubber touching the rock less friction.
 jamestheyip 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Only a hill:

La sportiva Rock Jock

5.10 Ascent (replaced by the new Vertical Mile)

Scarpa Marathon

Mad Rock Frenzy

Red Chili Spirit Impact Zone (2007)

They all have treads moulded into heel for what you said. However all of them cost more than average. I assume it's just more expensive and complicated to put a thicker heel (which often comes with mid-sole).

Personally for long descents (off multi-pitches) I'll just carry a pair of light trainers, party to keep mud off my climbing shoes. For short descents I wouldn't bother and the lack of grip doesn't worry me too much.
 Silum 10 Jun 2009
In reply to JoshOvki:

I cant remember ever 'smearing' with the entire foot. In fact, if the entire foot is in contact with the wall, its because im on a jug.

OP, some of the mad rocks have a ribbed heal as well as a few of the 5.10 cross breads.
OP Only a hill 10 Jun 2009
In reply to jamestheyip:
Ah right, cheers for the clarification--I wasn't aware of these models.
 petellis 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Only a hill:
> Why do rock shoes not have treads moulded into the heels as standard?

Because it would stop them working so well when heel hooking...

and probably becase then they would have to use the rubber differently, normally its one piece from the toe all the way up to the back of the shoe and into the heel and I think its cut from a flat sheet of rubber. If it had to have tread at one end they could only cut it one way rather than heel-toe, toe-heel, heel-toe if you see what i mean.... see also "Tessellation"... obviously there are other ways round the problem...
 tallsteve 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Only a hill:

On long trad routes to the top of a big cliff I occasionally clip sandals to my harness that have a good tread. Light, and safe for the descent. I bit of a bugger when chimneying though as the bulk gets in the way...
ice.solo 11 Jun 2009
In reply to Only a hill:

some shoes do have grippy tread on the heels - but its usually only the full on bouldering and roof shoes it seems (ones you cant walk in anyway).

i actually like the feature for what little heel stuff i do.
 muppetfilter 11 Jun 2009
In reply to Only a hill: Why would you want to walk any distance in your rockshoes anyway, apart from getting te rubber covered in mud it wouldnt be too comfortable. Most people would rather carry shoes to wear instead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...