UKC

Via Ferrata - Campsites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Evil John 10 Jun 2009
Hi

Me a few mates have booked to go to Italy for some Via Ferrata action in August. Flights are booked and care hire is sorted.

We just need some accomodation. Which, as we are on a budget, means campsites.

Has anyone got any tips on good campsites around Arabba? Anywhere 40 miles around Arabba would be good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 Rich 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Evil John: Campsite between Corvara and Cofosco is good. There's only one and it's marked on the map. Also stayed just outside Cortina on road 51 going North, Camoing Olympia. Have used both sites for via feratta. Colfosco site has great swimming pool nearby.
 peterd 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Evil John:

I have stayed at a campsite in Canazei. However in my experience Italian campsites tend to be on the expensive side, although the facilities are good (at least you get what you pay for). It might be worth googling apartments if there is a group of you. The cost per person per night might be comparable.
 Ian_Whitfield 11 Jun 2009
In reply to Evil John:

As previous posts say, there are good campsites around. We have stayed at Camping Rocchetta in Cortina which was fine and Camping Olympia looked good too. Olympia is probably better for climbing convenience as two good via ferrata are within easy walking distance of the site. Unless I am mistaken the only downside for campsites in the Dolomites is that you cannot book in advance and so must take pot luck. Arriving early afternoon gives you a better chance of getting a pitch at a campsite.
 Andy Hudson 11 Jun 2009
In reply to big_whitty:
> (In reply to Evil John)
>
Unless I am mistaken the only downside for campsites in the Dolomites is that you cannot book in advance and so must take pot luck. Arriving early afternoon gives you a better chance of getting a pitch at a campsite.

If that is the case then the OP needs to bear in mind that August is when all the Italians go on holiday
 riddle 11 Jun 2009
In reply to Evil John: Camping Olympia gets my vote, superb view of the mountains, river close by and small boulder to play on. They have make great pizzas as well! All within in good access to some of the vest route the dollies have to offer.
Evil John 11 Jun 2009
In reply to riddle:

Thank you for all your tips, they are greatly appreciated.

I'll be checking them out soon.

Ta again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...