UKC

Dave Barrans, 3rd in the world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Earlier today Oxenhope strongman, Dave Barrans, came third in the IFSC Bouldering World Championships in China.

In the final Dave topped out on all 4 boulders but had more attempts than the 2 Russians who took gold and silver.

Brilliant effort Dave. Full results at http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php?page_name=resultservice&comp=09_...

This was Dave's best result by far, for his other results see http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php?page_name=pstambl&all=1&pers...
 john arran 04 Jul 2009
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Nice one Dave. It's a pretty select list of Brits who've made the podium at World Cup level. Brilliant.

Anyone care to list the others in the list? Are there more than ten?
In reply to john arran:

Jerry Moffatt
Simon Nadin
Ben Moon
Ian Vickers
Naomi Guy
Claire Murphy
Malc Smith
Gaz Parry
Mark Croxall
Andy Earl
Dave Barrans
 john arran 04 Jul 2009

I should have banned you from entering!

The only one I would question is Naomi - I know she made a final but I don't recall a podium. Apart from that I can't think of anyone else.

Another question for you then: out of that list how many have made a World Cup level podium in more than one discipline?
In reply to john arran: re Gnome - you were there man, you watched it

re multi discipline podiums - technically no Brit has podiumed in 2 disciplines although I will let you have Ben Moon for a bronze in speed years ago then he finished equalled 2nd in lead in Innsbruck in 1991. But he was disqualified, along with others, for refusing to go on the podium after a dispute about the results
 john arran 04 Jul 2009

Ok maybe I'm going senile but I just looked Gnome up on the IFSC site and there's no podium shown. You'll have to spell it out for me.

Don't remember Ben being disqualified, although it does ring a bell. Which one was he disqualified from - the speed or the lead?

<remembers what thread is about> good effort again Dave! <remembers what thread is about/>
In reply to john arran: Moscow Speed World Cup 1995 although for some reason not on the IFSC site. She came 3rd, should have been in the final but missed the buzzer in her semi

Ben was disqualified from lead, although the results on IFSC seem to indicate some kind of reinstatement
 TimB 04 Jul 2009

Wow, that's a fantastic achievement, he beat some pretty big names.

What does "4t8 4b6" mean? I guess that it's 4 topouts in 8 tries, but 4b6??
 Fraser 04 Jul 2009
In reply to TimB:
> (In reply to Graeme Alderson)
>
> What does "4t8 4b6" mean? I guess that it's 4 topouts in 8 tries, but 4b6??

I'm guessing here, but maybe reaching the bonus hold 4 times out of 6?

john arran 04 Jul 2009
In reply to TimB:

Reached 4 bonus holds and took 6 tries in doing so (ignoring any subsequent attempts)
 TimB 04 Jul 2009
In reply to john arran:

Ah thanks, I ddn't know they had bonus holds in World Championship events.

So he topped out all four problems, taking 8 attempts in total and on 6 of those 8 atte;pts he reached the bonus hold.
In reply to TimB: Not quite see http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php?page_name=resultservice&comp=09_... for the detail from the final

On P3 Dave got the bonus on his 1st attempt but didn't get the top until his 3rd go. Almost inevitably he will have got the bonus on his 2nd and 3rd goes as its normally not possible to complete the problem without using the bonus

On P4 Dave didn't even get as far as the bonus until his 3rd go, when he also topped out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...