UKC

Which mobile phone should I buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex_th 14 Jul 2009
I would like a mobile phone which will stand up to life in a rucksack and which still has some battery life left after five days in a hut or a campsite. I would prefer a Nokia, since I have always bought Nokia in the past and know their text message input system best. A built-in camera would be nice, but not as important as toughness and long battery life.

Background: I have had a Nokia 3510i for five years and it has been great. It has withstood a one storey fall onto tiles, regular trips up climbs in a rucksack and occasionally getting a little damp when it has rained. Even at five years old it still had a battery life of more than five days. It really has been the best mobile I have had, until last week when my 18 mo. old son threw it over the balcony... in a thunder storm. I have read reviews of quite a lot of new models, and while they have got incomparably more features (cam., MP3, radio, appointments diary, etc.) than my 3510i (introduced 2002), when it comes to toughness and battery life I get the feeling that things have gone downhill since then, not up.

What do people recommend?

Alex
Anonymous 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th:

The Samsung Solid M110 springs to mind. If you really want to stay with Nokia (and why not?), a 6300 doesn't major on indestructability but is a well-built phone for the money.

johnSD 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th:

probably best to look on Ebay or similar for a working older model - either a direct replacement of something like the 6310i. I still keep my 6310 in the car and use it for holidays due to it's 10 day battery life. None of the phones I've had since have beaten 2-3 days on average, albeit with heavier internet usage and colour displays.
 escalator 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th:

If you want basic, but tough, then the JCB Tough Phone might be worth a look. You can get it payg as well. And one of the ringtones is of a JCB digger starting up!
 JDDD 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th: Myself and my wife have both got Nokia 1600's if that means anything. They are about as cheap as it comes and you can send text messages and make telephone calls on them (who would have thought!). Best of all though, the battery lasts well over a week. If you only use if for an alarm, clock and emergency back up, the battery will last even longer. Alas I spilt coca cola on mine last year and it only lasts about 3 days now.
 oliwarlow 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th:
I managed to drop (don't ask) my Nokia 5140i from the top of black crag in the lakes at the weekend (a good 80-90m drop). after seeing it bounce of the troutdale pinnacle and spin off into thin air I didn't hold out much hope. However not only did it survive, but the battery stayed in the phone, meaning I could phone it and locate it at the bottom of the crag (well on a ledge on pitch one of Prana to be more precise!). As good an advert as any for a crag proof phone. Battery life is alright at about 4-5 days, and pretty water resistant too.
O
 freerangecat 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th:

I've just been looking up tough phones for Inca, as he has a habit of dropping them, falling into streams with them in his pocket etc, and the latest one has about bitten the dust. I think the Samsung Solid Extreme looks very good. He currently has a Nokia Sport, maybe discontinued now, but it stood up to abuse very well too, even if he has eventually managed to kill it. He's had it about 2 1/2 years I think, but it's not exactly been treated gently!

Cat
 Wallm0nkey 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th: I have a Condurro LM801 at the minute been using it about 8 months now and it's been great. It's super hard wearing dust and water resistant it's been dropped a fair few times which hasn't even marked it. Decent battery life I'd say it gets 5 days pretty easy they come with a free wind up charger too which is handy to chuck in a ruck sack. No camera but it has a torch and laser then on a separate screen on the back a compass, altimeter, thermometer and barometer which could be handy for some people. Those features can be used if the phones off too. I have used Nokias for years but my last couple died so decided on a change. My only complaint is the predictive txt isn't great but I can live with that.
 deeview 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th:

Sony erricson C702. I climb a heap ans have ended up droppping my phone off a crag once. it was ok though. it is really tough no slidy bits or silly joysticks or flip covers. just a good ol' brick!!

tom
 freerangecat 14 Jul 2009
In reply to alex_th:

Another thought, don't get a Motorola Razr, they don't bounce and don't like water... (it still works, but only just!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...