UKC

Slate quarries, are they open now?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 21 Aug 2009
I heard a rumour that the slate quarries are now open, can anyone confirm if this is correct, as I would hate to get there and find them shut.

Thanks
 summo 21 Aug 2009
In reply to kipper12: you might need to narrow this down to a particular quarry or area. Do you mean to go and quarry some slate, buy a piece or an off cut, or visit as a tourist attraction?
 saz_m 21 Aug 2009
In reply to kipper12: Yup, open.
 Alex Thompson 21 Aug 2009
In reply to summo:
He is probably referring to the fact that Dinorwig has been closed recently as they have been filming location shots for the remake of Clash of the Titans there...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800320/locations
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=361626&v=1#x5269083
 Alex Thompson 21 Aug 2009
In reply to Alex Thompson:
BTW anyone remember when they filmed Willow there? Remember enjoying that film when I were a kid...
 Peakpdr 21 Aug 2009
In reply to kipper12: went up last weekend they are 100% open the film crew moved out about 2 weeks ago
OP kipper12 21 Aug 2009
In reply to pauldr:

Thanks all for quick and useful responses
 antwan 21 Aug 2009
In reply to kipper12: Just be on your guard for strange women driving upto the bustop in vans looking for camels!
 charlieg0pzo 21 Aug 2009
This has been cut and pasted from the online slate quarrie guide.

1. RE: QUARRY ACCESS
Aug 10 2009, 9:44 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 10 2009, 9:44 AM EDT
Just had a meeting with Tony Thomas, mainly to see if any damage had been done to the climbs, I could see none. Film security will be moving on later this week, they have kindly been letting walkers through.

First Hydro have not given permission for climbing in the quarries, they are putting up a 2.4 m fence across the mouth of Dali's Hole and I've just learnt to day that they will be blocking the tunnels through to California. Obviously the BMC hasn't agreed to any of this we do however, recognise the First Hydro have a duty to keep people out of the quarries. Negotiations are on going at a high level. In the meantime I would ask that climbers do not try to congregate in large groups anywhere in the quarries especialy Dali's Hole, you will be asked to move on.

antwan 21 Aug 2009
In reply to charlieg0pzo: Well as of sunday they had re-instated the existing fence around dahlis hole, whith what would look like a new sign post, waiting for a sign to be put up. and the tunnels were open, with evidence of some kind of vie ferret type safety rail bieng removed from the path through to california too, so watch your footing for little pokey bits of metal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...