UKC

tupe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 16 Sep 2009
i work for a large telecomms company and have been employed by them for over 20 years.it now looks like much of the work is going to contract and many of the employees will be tuped out along with it possibly including myself.
its not a done deal yet but its looking very likley that many of us will be working for a seperate company in the near future.ive done some research on the internet but a lot of the information looks complicated and open to interpretation.
just wondered if anyone has been tuped across to another company and what your experiences were.did you keep your terms and conditions or were they changed as there dosent seem to be a set period of time that applies to tupe.
the biggest issue i can see is that there is no obligation to match the previous employers pension conditions . cheers.
 Ropeboy 16 Sep 2009
In reply to buzby:

Hi Buzby, as a fellow Openreach employee things are looking very grim at the moment. Are you Complex?

I started with BT over 20 years and have always regarded the company highly but this recent turn of events has left me disappointed.

What surprised me was talking to collegues outside of Openreach have no idea what is going on with our side of the company.

John, Cal/Omi/ADSL/ISDN/etc, etc
OP buzby 16 Sep 2009
In reply to Ropeboy: Hi John, not complex at the moment im the same as yourself but i recently completed a 3 week fibre splicing course and looks we are going to get put over to complex for the next generation network which seems most likley to be put out to contract.
looks like taking on fibre work might have been a bad move now.
Daithi O Murchu 16 Sep 2009
In reply to buzby:

was tuped from Radio communications agency to Ofcom
kept all the significant benifits no probs, many people did and Ofcom honnored tupe in later rudandancies where they had to pay out over £250k each to 4 individuals.

They did try offer us new Ofcom contracts but we were forced to take then nor did we suffer in later years pay settlements because we were on tupe, some people find this happens.

in my experiences tupe was ok, but i do some work for the Prospect union. There are examples where staf had taken cases to tribunals over tupw issues and won but almost as many where they lost.

sorry im not clear on the pension issues, guess if their not matching it then they dont have to as that would be an obvious breach
 DancingOnRock 16 Sep 2009
In reply to buzby: Works both ways. There's no obligation for you to go and work for the new company either, so its in their interests to at least match your current conditions. Happend to my colleage, he just walked away leaving them in the lurch. I think that you have to have either 3 or 6 months notice of any change in your working conditions. Again you don't have to accept, you can just walk away. I imagine that a 'large telecomms' company would be very keen not to lose all their employees overnight.
OP buzby 16 Sep 2009
In reply to TimR: Hi Tim, unfortunatly walking away isnt much of an option in the current climate, not much work about this neck of the woods at the moment.
Daithi O Murchu 16 Sep 2009
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:
> (In reply to buzby)
>
correction
> ...........
> They did try offer us new Ofcom contracts but we were NOT forced to take then ..............
>

In reply to buzby:
> (In reply to TimR) Hi Tim, unfortunatly walking away isnt much of an option in the current climate, not much work about this neck of the woods at the moment.

Yes I realise that, I'm in a similar situation. But for a company to risk having even lower staff morale during a recession is not a good move. Trying to get a badly motivated workfoce to be productive is quite difficult. Those that can find work (typically the good ones and people who are self motivated and otherwise good for the company) leave and you end up with the unmotivated left behind.
 Ropeboy 16 Sep 2009
In reply to TimR:

lol, I think you'll find we're pretty unmotivated already!

J
OP buzby 16 Sep 2009
In reply to Ropeboy: yeah your not joking, ive never seen the moral of the workforce as bad as it is now. ive always been pretty upbeat about things but the outlook is grim.i honestly dont believe the managment have got a clue how to get the company out of the mess its in. demoralising the workforce seems to be the latest idea.
In reply to Ropeboy:
> (In reply to TimR)
>
> lol, I think you'll find we're pretty unmotivated already!
>
> J

Sometimes a change of leadership in a smaller company which can move more quickly can help. Big complanies tend to have old ways that are hard to change. Some people stay in companies like that because that's what they are used to. If the new company has guaranteed work from the large company thats not too bad. Could always get togther a few good men and create a company to compete. Some guys did that from my comany a few years ago. They're all millionaires because they competed extremely well on the small jobs and left the big ones to the big company. Eventally the big company bought them out. Nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...