UKC

Peak guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich Guest 14 Oct 2009
Which guidebooks do you use nowadays?

Seems like these new BMC ones with the photos are outstripping Rockfax on credibility, big time?

Simon Caldwell 14 Oct 2009
In reply to Cragrat Rich:
> Seems like these new BMC ones with the photos are outstripping Rockfax on credibility, big time?

Depends if you mean the credibility of their announced publication schedules
 dsh 14 Oct 2009

Surely depends on if you want definiteive guides or just one guide?

I use staffordshire grit (BMC) which is great and mine is well battered but the other peak guides I own is Eastern Grit and Northern Limestone because I don't go to those areas often enough to buy guides for each individual area when there's still plenty of routes in the rockfax to do.

The new Western Grit is awesome, I almost bought it even though I don't need it.
OP Rich Guest 14 Oct 2009
In reply to Toreador:

What's happening then?

What year was Staffordshire out and when is update due?
Froggatt is on it's way... right??
Stanage & Burbage have been done recently so won't be updated for a while?

Is that about right?
> Seems like these new BMC ones with the photos are outstripping Rockfax on credibility, big time?

Can you explain exactly what you mean by this statement? Is your observation based on anything in particular?

Alan, Rockfax
 Silum 14 Oct 2009
I wouldnt say they are outstripping Rockfax by a long way. Rockfax represents something different, and they can't be ignored for the way they have pushed guidebook standards. Although I don't actually own one, the new W. Grit is pretty sexy.

I know for me, living in southern peak means I have BMC guides for the places I regularly go because they are awesome, getting sexier and sexier, and have tons of cool stories amongst their pages (one of the best aspects in guidebooks for me).

THEN, i have the rockfax Eastern Grit that covers me for everything. I could go and get all the BMC guides for the peaks but it wouldnt really give me much more to go at than EG.

For me...
Roaches BMC (can't wait for the new one)
Eastern Grit
Northern Limestone
Peak Bouldering

Simon Caldwell 14 Oct 2009
> What year was Staffordshire out and when is update due?

2004. As for the new one - a few months back they said July 2009. Now they're saying Spring 2010. So maybe July 2010?

> Froggatt is on it's way... right??

Your guess is as good as mine (which is early 2011).

> Is that about right?

You've forgotten Chew, Kinder, and Limestone.
 Michael Ryan 14 Oct 2009

Hi Cragrat,

The BMC publish fantastic definitive guidebooks to mainly the Peak District.

Rockfax publish definitive and select guidebooks to all over the UK, France, Spain, Norway, Italy, Greece (and some in the USA).....big time!

Mick

I suspect that you are just trying to provoke a fight, one that we can all do without.

I will close this thread to replies but leave it live. This is not censorship since your comment is still there and the BMC would probably get as much criticism on this thread as Rockfax if we let it run.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...