UKC

Hostel called Ami du Montagne or something similar Cham 1970's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ron Walker 28 Oct 2009
Around 1975-76 when hitch hiking around Europe I stayed in a hostel in or around Chamonix called I "amis or friends of the mountain" or something similar. I recently tried to find it but things have changed a lot and my memory is vague...! Does anyone know where the hostel was?

Cheers Ron
OP Ron Walker 29 Oct 2009
In reply to Ron Walker:

Somebody must have an idea!!!
 Ian Parsons 30 Oct 2009
In reply to Ron Walker:

Refuge des Amis de la Montagne.Somewhere in the area behind the PGHM, and a bit further up towards Les Praz; don't know if it's still there.
 liz j 30 Oct 2009
In reply to Ian Parsons:
Le Montagne is still there, in the woods between Chamonix and Les Praz. I stayed there for a night once, very basic but clean. The woman who owns it scared the shite out of me though!!
 Ian Parsons 30 Oct 2009
In reply to liz j:

Not sure whether that's the same place or not. I don't remember it as being far enough out to be "in the woods", but as I last stayed there in 1984 my memory probably isn't to be trusted. I do, however, well recall being impressed by the grasp of practical english exhibited by some of our continental neighbours. A german resident greeted me one morning with (thick german accent):-
"Good morning. How are you?"
"Fine, thanks. You?"
"I am not well. I have loose bowels."
 liz j 30 Oct 2009
In reply to Ian Parsons:
The road to it is on the left, just past the right hand turning for the Chamonard Volent, so not that far outside of Chamonix, could be the same place.

Liking the international communications!!
 Ian Parsons 30 Oct 2009
In reply to liz j:

Now you've got me thinking; I could well be getting the Refuge des Amis etc mixed up with the Chamoniard, in which case it was New Year 1978/9. I would describe them both as being in broadly the same bit of Chamonix.
 Pedro50 30 Oct 2009
In reply to Ian Parsons: The one I remember called "Le refuge de les amis de la montagne" was on the way to the Biolay campsite near the pedestrian bridge over the railway. Stayed there in February 1976 when we cycled to Cham, remember a nice hot bath, our only wash in two weeks.
OP Ron Walker 01 Nov 2009
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to Ian Parsons)
> Le Montagne is still there, in the woods between Chamonix and Les Praz. I stayed there for a night once, very basic but clean. The woman who owns it scared the shite out of me though!!

I don't remember the place being "in" the woods but up a steep road...
The owner sounds interesting!!!
 pneame 29 Nov 2009
In reply to Ron Walker:
Refuge de les Amis de Montagne was definitely in the corner of the Biolay parking lot - so very much in Chamonix. Stayed there for skiing in winters of 76,77. Not a bad place - reasonably friendly, clean and cheap! Round about the intersection of Chemin de Nantillons and Chemin de la Cascade (thank you Google Earth).
But, not sure whether it's still anything similar - much has changed since then, including the owners age!
 sutty 29 Nov 2009
In reply to Pedro50:

That is the one I remember, wrygob may remember if he picks up on this;

http://www.smc.org.uk/Downloads/LitPrize2008.pdf
OP Ron Walker 02 Dec 2009
In reply to pneame, Sutty and all:

Thanks everyone for the replies....

Cheers Ron

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...