UKC

Finger Taping Knuckle Joint

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dingleberry 04 Nov 2009
Hi

Since July I have been having pain in my middle finger knuckle similar to the poster on this thread

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=377376

Basically it hurts most of the time apart from when climbing. it is stiff and slow and im not able to close the finger as much as on the other hand. It is normally a bit more painfull the morning after climbing so I can only presume that the climbing is not helping it.

I have tried resting it for a fortnight (no climbing) but it made no difference.

I tried finger taping it last night when climbing to see if it made any difference.

I found that having the tape on caused the knuckle more pain during and after climbing. I think by taping it i have transfered more stress to the knuckle.

Can anyone give me any advice or recomend any links to advice on taping up the knuckle joint correctly for support, preferable with pictures. All i have been able to find myself is an article on the metolius website about taping split tips.

Many Thanks

Bob
 Kevin Bowser 04 Nov 2009
In reply to nignogbob:

Hi Bob,

I've not much to add other than what I said on the thread you link to. I had the same problems when taping it. After avoiding indoors climbing for a few months the pain disappeared. I'm currently climbing indoors twice a week without it taped and only notice the pain every now and again.

Hope that helps,
Kevin
OP Dingleberry 04 Nov 2009
In reply to MrFlibble:

Do you know how you injured yours?

I first noticed mine when I was on holiday doing no climbing at all.I didnt do anything to cause it like knocking or banging it it just sort of started and hasnt gone away. It doesnt hurt as much as the first week of noticing it. At first it felt like i needed to crack/pop it which i avoided doing as I was always told not to do this as it causes arthritis. I cracked/popped it by accident a couple of times which reduced the pain but it no longer feels like it needs to crack/pop.

I got worried looking into knuckle pain in tinterwed all they seem to mention is arthritus!
 Kevin Bowser 04 Nov 2009
In reply to nignogbob: Not really. I first noticed it when I was at home and knocked it slightly sideways (not enough to cause an injury). Climbing itself didn't hurt, but it was noticeably worse after climbing indoors.

After a while (before I went to my GP) I got some hand putty. As soon as I started using it there was a massive click from the knuckle - it's not done that before or since, but seemed to offer some relief for a while. No idea if it was a good or bad thing!

My GP very quickly diagnosed it as a bone spur, which would lead to arthritis if it wasn't already arthritic. Very encouragingly he told me to keep climbing just the same as exercise would help. I've climbed loads outside during the summer and it's been fine - I've barely noticed that anything was wrong, to the point that I thought my GP had got it wrong and it had healed.

For me I think the key is not to over-do indoors climbing. I'd recommend getting it checked out by your GP though...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...