UKC

Cheap belay devices? Rock & Run Graviton?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Panda :o) 06 Nov 2009
I help run a school climbing club and we could do with finding a cheap source of belay devices for the kids to buy. Some have recently been paying over the odds and/or getting poor advice buying climbing kit themselves.

Ideally we'd like some of the latest 'grooved' ones to give maximum holding power but don't want to be paying £15+. I haven't found any good deals that stand out so I thought I might ask for suggestions.

I don't want original VC Pros despite the fact you can get them for £7.50 as they lock up badly. The Outdoor Shop is/was selling ATCs for £10 which is great but they are one of the slickest devices which isn't ideal. DMM Bug cosmetic seconds are available from V12, again at £10 which could be an option.

Another option might be a bulk buy of 10 Rock & Run Graviton http://www.rockrun.com/products-Graviton-Belay-Device-10-Set_BU-BD-GRVN.htm but I don't know anything about them. Has anyone used them? How good/bad are they?

Otherwise does anyone have any other suggestions?
 Silum 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Panda :

Not sure why the standard bug doesnt work for you, how much friction do you really need? Never had a problem with even the fatest climber! lol. If you want a grooved device like the Reverso then you'll have to pay for it and its extra options... this may be what your after though, cheap with grooves...

http://www.theclimberstore.com/guard-belay-device-p-400.html
Claud 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Panda :

You're dealing with people's lives, and educating them as climbers. Find the device that works best for your needs rather than looking at the price!

A practical suggestion: head to the local climbing wall and ask loads of customers if you can try their belay devices. Don't forget to use the rope that it will actually be used with.
 Richard Hall 06 Nov 2009

> Ideally we'd like some of the latest 'grooved' ones to give maximum holding power but don't want to be paying £15+.

Why not? That is what they cost.
 martinph78 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Panda :

Zero G belay device and HMS kit is £12.99 on sale at Cotswold Outdoors. Works just fine As it's a sale item I guess some stores might have more than others, but a call to them (or even zero G) might secure you as many as you need?
 antwan 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Panda : is the gravitron not a re-badged original vc pro?
Sarah G 06 Nov 2009
In reply to antwan:
So is the belay device in the second link....or something eerily similar.....

How much are sticht plates these days? Fab for beginners.

Sxx
 Monk 06 Nov 2009
In reply to Panda :

I have looked at various belay devices for similar reasons to you. The R+R looks like an old style VC pro to me, and they are prone to locking up (as you know). At the cheaper end of the market, I have used the Zero G G spot belay set and they are very good value and work well. I haven't yet got my hands on the new Zero G device (with grippy grooves) to test it yet though.

I have to say though, that I have used all sorts from GriGris to ATCs to sprung sticht plates for groups, and not had any major problems. The default device I use is an ATC (that is what we have most of).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...