UKC

Nokia 5800 / Sony Ericsson W595

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 05 Dec 2009
Sorry to bore you all in the small hours with a "what mobile phone" post, but does anyone have a Nokia 5800? Looking at reviews and it sounds great, but I am suspicious that Vodafone are offering it at a fairly low tariff - usually this means "duffer".

Anyone that has been using one - pros and cons please. I've read some reviews, I understand that sometimes you need to use the stylus, some people say it "blows the iPhone away", some people say it jams or switches off randomly...

I'd like to check emails on it, not too bothered about doing that much web browsing or taking pics/video. If the music player is good, that would be nice. But I don't want to "lead" your pros and cons - just have a rant about how great/shit it is please

Similar questions about SE W595, not a touch-screen iPhone pretender I know, but looks interesting. Again, I've read some reviews, a good selling point for me is the epic battery life. What's it like for web/email?

Thanks!
In reply to Blue Straggler:

It is 3.05am and I can't get onto the relevant bit of the VodaFone website due to "exceptionally high demand". Do people like to check their price plans mostly in the small hours at the weekend, then?
Gaah

4.05am. Same problem. As the kids these days say, "WTF lol"
 TN 05 Dec 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: I have a 5800 and I think it's great. I use it mostly to avoid switching the PC on when I want to check my emails or play on the internet. There aren't a lot of apps available and it runs symbian, if that bothers you, but as a phone it's really good. J says I have to tell you the screen is really 'tappy' - it's quite a hard screen so makes a quite loud tapping noise when you're typing with the stylus.
I haven't had any problems with it randomly switching off or any other probs really.
I think it's a great phone.
The vodafone website on the other hand is utterly shite, but if you can get on there they do have some good deals...

woolsack 05 Dec 2009
In reply to TN: What is the camera like? The N95 one was really good for a phone, have they maintained the same quality?
 Horse 05 Dec 2009

They were neverexpensive phones, you can get a new one SIM/contract free for about £200. If you get one SIM free then you avoid all the crap VF put on it.

We have two 5800 here and they seem pretty robust in the hands of 12 year olds who load all sorts of junk on to them. I am reliably informed the music player is good.. Camera is lower quality than my N95, so is OK outside or in well lit conditions but not as good otherwise.

Email and Internet are fine and the GPS/Maps good. With Viewranger software you can run OS maps with the GPS.

You don't have to use the stylus is that is not your thing, one of the kids binned his on day one and just uses his digit without a problem. In fact to my mind one of the strengths of this phone is the variety of input methods so you can pick the one that suits you.

The phone comes with plenty of application software. Should you need more there is a reasonable amount of 3rd party stuff although you may need to search a bi t for it.
 popebenedictus 05 Dec 2009

Yesterday I acquired the new N86.

8MP camera, which is nice. Its got all the expected maps, web browsing, facebook, iplayer etc but its not a touch screen phone. But i'm suspicious of touch screens coz I always seem to break them

on Virgin they'll do it free on a £25 per month contract with 500mins, unlimited text, unlimited web access which seemed like a good deal to me.
 Andy Hudson 05 Dec 2009
I have a 5800 and love it, not as many apps as the iphone but theres some good mapping software called viewranger i use for walking and mountain biking, handy for picking up emails without switching laptop on. I think theres a version now that has built in sat nav for your region. never had problems with it switching off randomly

Thanks all. I'll have a peep at the N86, popebenedictus, but the lack of horror stories for the N800 is reassuring. Gonna pop to the Vodafone shop anyway, so the website isn't a big issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...