UKC

Where to go winterclimbing without a car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 eivhje 27 Dec 2009
Hi!

I am thinking about going to scotland to do some winterclimbing, but i do not have a car. I wish to live in a cheap hotel, do you have som tips about a great place to go where the walking from the hotel/cabin will not kill me?

Thanks Eivind
 jl100 27 Dec 2009
In reply to eivhje: The ben from Fbill is not too much longer than from the NF especially if youve got a nice hotel to walk back too. The norries are another option; bus from aviemore or hitching a lift is quite easy. Again glencoe you can easily get a lift up to the climbing areas. Im sure there are plenty of other areas but these three are easy to get to on public transport (relatively) and have accommodation, steady traffic and are reliable.
OP eivhje 27 Dec 2009
How long is it to walk from the norries to Aviemore? Do you know where i can get the bus times?
Randy Baird 27 Dec 2009
In reply to eivhje:

You wouldn't walk from Aviemore into the Gorms unless you fancy a bit of early Scottish pioneer style re- enactment. It's 10 miles uphill from the town.
 jas wood 27 Dec 2009
In reply to eivhje: glen coe is a good option and i'm sure you could hitch / bus to the ben (nevis) from there - a car is a benefit though !
 Jamie B 27 Dec 2009
In reply to eivhje:

Car hire would be similar in cost to a hotel. You can sleep in a car, but you cannot drive to the crag in a hotel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...