UKC

Igloo on the Howgills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 icnoble 03 Jan 2010
I have it on good authority that an igloo has been built somewhere on the Howgills. It is large enough to stand up in. Has anyone seen it?
 David Bennett 03 Jan 2010
In reply to icnoble: Made one in 1979, Is it still there?
 gammarus 03 Jan 2010
In reply to icnoble:

I was approaching the summit of Arant Haw (Howgills - GR SD 662 946) this evening, when I saw a large structure in my head torch beam. Funny, I thought, I don't remember a cairn here. It's the igloo! Proper entrance tunnel, room for four inside, needs a bit of work filling up all the cracks. Good to get out of the biting wind for a while. I took some pics - I'll try and figure out how to upload them.

Steve Smith
Sedbergh
Ian Black 03 Jan 2010
In reply to gammarus: Is it a proper Igloo, or just a shovel up?
 gammarus 03 Jan 2010
In reply to Ian Black:

Proper job - built from blocks of snow - comfortable headroom for kneeling - I can email a pic if you like

Steve
Ian Black 03 Jan 2010
In reply to gammarus:
> (In reply to Ian Black)
>
> Proper job - built from blocks of snow - comfortable headroom for kneeling - I can email a pic if you like
>
> Steve

Aye please, be interested to see it.

Ian.
OP icnoble 03 Jan 2010
In reply to gammarus:
> (In reply to Ian Black)
>
> Proper job - built from blocks of snow - comfortable headroom for kneeling - I can email a pic if you like
>
> Steve

Can you email me a picture as well please?

That sounds pretty good. I was very tempting to build some sort of snow hole (albeit a small one) up at corbar cross near buxton today. There was some pretty big drifts. I'm sure I could have built one big enough to squeeze just me into.
 gammarus 03 Jan 2010
In reply to icnoble:

I've uploaded a pic to the UKC winter climbing (sorry!) photo gallery

Steve
OP icnoble 03 Jan 2010
In reply to gammarus: Look forward to seeing it
Nick Wharton 04 Jan 2010
In reply to icnoble: I skied up Arant Haw and found this igloo on Sat in the most horrendous winds so was delighted to share it with three other people and my dog - all very comfortable, though not entirely wind proof.
 Richard Baynes 04 Jan 2010
In reply to Nick Wharton: Anyone got a pic with people in it to show the scale?
 sutty 04 Jan 2010
In reply to Nick Wharton:

You should have added some snow to the cracks between the blocks to stop the wind. Ten minutes well spent.
 gammarus 04 Jan 2010
In reply to sutty:

I think the problem is that it's been so cold that the snow is very dry and powdery and won't stick together to fill the cracks.

Steve
 _sllab_ 04 Jan 2010
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

They werent eskimos then.

I built better in my back garden when i was ten.
 Tree 04 Jan 2010
In reply to icnoble: Very rustic! A welcome retreat that looks like a dolmen. I wonder if they were dry stone wallers?
 Neil Anderson 04 Jan 2010
In reply to gammarus: I believe the trick is to light a candle inside as well to seal the 'holes'
Nick Wharton 05 Jan 2010
In reply to Richard Baynes: I have just posted a photo called:"IGLOO IN HOWGILLS".
Nick Wharton 05 Jan 2010
In reply to sutty: I hate to sound selfish, but another 10 mins was too long to be up there in that wind.
 sutty 05 Jan 2010
In reply to Nick Wharton:

You could get into it then dig bits off the floor to fill in with, usually.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...