UKC

cross-polarization flash

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 17 Feb 2010
I've only just got round to trying it and my goodness, it's brill!

Can't believe I've not used this yet it's such an obvious idea when I think about it :-P
In reply to Richard Carter:

Do you mind my asking what's happened to your photo gallery? Surely you used to have one?
No never had photos on here, well apart from a profile photo, which I no longer have. The photos I usually take aren't really suitable for UKC.
 The Lemming 18 Feb 2010
> No never had photos on here, well apart from a profile photo, which I no longer have. The photos I usually take aren't really suitable for UKC.

Oo-errr.

minimike 18 Feb 2010

Sorry for the ignorant questions, but...
What is it? How does it work and what do you use it for?
In reply to The Lemming:

Silence you!
In reply to minimike:

Well I don't really know other applications it's has but so far I've found that if you take a photo of someone sweaty, it makes their skin matt/more saturated.

Well or more shiney if you rotate the filter I guess!
 minimike 18 Feb 2010

Right, thank's for that! I guess it might work on any reflective surface...?
Lieven De Vlaminck 18 Feb 2010
In reply to Richard Carter: A polarization filter eliminates reflected light, which is polarized, as you turn it. So any light that reflects is filtered out. In this way, you can take pictures through a window or a surface of water without getting the reflections.

It is also used in landscape photography, as it eliminates light which is reflected off ice crystals in the sky, making the image clear of reflected sunlight.

I do not know about the effects on sweaty skin, I suppose it would have a certain effect there, too.

L.
In reply to Lieven De Vlaminck:

I know what a polarizer is/does.

I'm on about combining it with polarized flashes for portraiture.

I'd be interested to see an example of with/without to see what you mean.
 d_b 18 Feb 2010
In reply to midgets of the world unite:

And hit number 3 is..... this thread.

Ohhh that link with the frog is good!

(we're at #2 now!)
 d_b 18 Feb 2010
In reply to Richard Carter: I liked the frog

it showed what it was about nicely, but the cross polarised image looked too dry. Frogs are supposed to glisten a bit!
 Arjen 19 Feb 2010

Cool idea!! I'll try to get my hands on some polarizing gels... I recently tried to photograph a shiny ricinus seed (they've got very pretty patterns), but gave up because the reflections were too annoying and I couldn't get rid of them. This should solve that...

To the one above me - you can influence the amount of shinyness by turning the polarizer on the camera...
 d_b 19 Feb 2010
In reply to Arjen:

I realised that as soon as I hit the submit button.
 dread-i 19 Feb 2010
In reply to Arjen:
>Cool idea!! I'll try to get my hands on some polarizing gels...

One thing that might work is clingfilm. That polarizes light and you can rotate it relatively easily. (I can sense that you don't believe me. Go on google, I'll wait

Arjen 19 Feb 2010
In reply to dread-i:

That must be the thicker clingfilm, that looks dark grey on the roll right? The clingfilm we have here in the lab is just transparent...

I guess I'll have to try different brands here...

I'll have to try clingfilm, I've been using polarizing film at £30 per 20cm x 20cm sheet!
 Dave B 19 Feb 2010

Why not wrap the photographic subject in cling film... :-o
In reply to Dave B:

"Why not wrap the photographic subject in cling film... :-o"

I'm assuming she'd get angry! LOL
 Dave B 21 Feb 2010

You know what they say about assumptions!

I've sent most of my stuff in for its yearly service so no more wrapping people/things in clingfilm for awhile now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...