UKC

DMM Torque Nuts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danzig 27 Feb 2010
Thinking of investing in a set of these babies to replace my BD Hex's - anyone done the same or am I best staying with the 'cows-bells'!?!
 Ann S 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Danzig:

I got a set a while ago but haven't had the chance to use them on the lead yet. It's a nice idea but I suspect extending the sling will be a bit of a pain. Mine don't seem to allow the material to pull out very easily.Have a play around with them in the shop and see what you think.
 TobyA 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Danzig: Have you read the review of the Torque Nuts I did for UKC? http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2112 It might help you decide.
 Snowboy 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Danzig:

I've got a set, and I love 'em. partly cos if I get to place the big bad seagull basher it gives a wonderful sense of security and partly cos they are just lovely shiny bits of kit

As for the doubled sling issue, I haven't yet been in a situation where I am totally pumped and hanging by one finger trying to extend the sling. DMM made a small adjustment to the size of the hole for this very reason not long after the torque nuts hit the market.

franksnb 27 Feb 2010
I love mine, they wont make you a better climber though! only replace you old cow bells if you really need to.
OP Danzig 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Danzig: Many thanx peeps & great review toby, do you know if DMM recalled the old units to rebore or was it just a running update? I'll be using these mainly for winter routes, any concerns with the slings icing up anyone?
 Paul Troon 27 Feb 2010
In reply to Danzig:
> Thinking of investing in a set of these babies to replace my BD Hex's - anyone done the same or am I best staying with the 'cows-bells'!?!

never had cow- bells i start with a set of DMM's Torque nuts never been with out

In reply to Danzig:

I've used Rockcentrics and Torque nuts and they're both good and significantly lighter than my old hexcentrics. Torque nuts have the option of extending the sling (fiddly, on my set at least) whilst there's a greater range of rockcentrics.

The torque nuts are a bit more asymmetric (eccentric) than the rockcentrics which is meant to help camming but otherwise the shape is very similar. Good kit!
 paddi-8764 28 Feb 2010
In reply to Danzig: My partner has a set and never used them, then I joined him and we never use them! They are so neglected we ened up making a point of trying to use one in a belay even if its a totally pointless third of fourth piece! They look nice tho.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 28 Feb 2010
In reply to Danzig: it can be a little awkward extending them at times, as you can only pull on strand to do this. They can also freeze up quite nicely in the winter.

However they do rack far nicer than other hexes which your knees will appreciate at least.
 mlmatt 01 Mar 2010
In reply to Danzig:

I've used them since they came out now pretty much, from Gogarth to scottish winter. They have proves themselves as good pieces off kit. Firstly they do rack well, and only having 4 sizes is better for a lighter rack. They do seat really well in a variety of arrangements and placements. I've got the "old style" which are quite hard to pull through but I haven't really found this a problem. The Dynemma doesn't freeze up too bad either.

If its to replace a set of BD wired hex's then I'd go for it. They are what I had before and I found them so cr*p I never carried them.

Hope this helps.
OP Danzig 01 Mar 2010
In reply to mlmatt: Great - thanks to all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...