UKC

NEW REVIEW: Patagonia Ascensionist Soft Shell Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 10 Mar 2010
[Jon Griffith getting a good showering on Patri Droite, insert shows ropes and jacket after., 2 kb]Soft shell? Never been a fan of it, says Jon Griffith. Or so he thought, anyway...

"Too flimsy and not windproof enough. It's hard enough keeping warm in the winter without having to worry about cold polar air ripping through your bones. The humble hard shell has always brought a level of comfort to me that I cherished in the mountains, as I knew that when the Weather Gods really turned nasty I could just zip up and I would feel fine. Unlike in a soft shell - or so I thought anyway..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2544

TobyA 10 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Jon's comments on the fit are interesting - I recently bought a Patagonia Speed Ascent (which I think is basically the insulated version of the Ascensionist) and until I got to try it I was a bit worried by the 'slim fit' tag.

Looking at things in my cupboard (admittedly bought over say the last 10 years so things might change) I fit medium in Marmot, Arcteryx, North Face and Patagonia very well. But I've found my chest and shoulders are too broad for RAB medium, but their Large is then much too long on the body and arms (Westcomb medium seems to be on the limit for my chest size). I was worried that the Patagonia slim fit would be too tight on me, but actually isn't at all - in fact it doesn't seem so different to the classic Patagonia medium I have in a couple of items, so for me it is great. I can't imagine the sizing is that different between the Speed Ascent and the Ascentionist - so if you like me actually favour the American fit, don't despair - its nothing like as slim as RAB's fit.

If anyone from Patagonia reads this - where exactly is the 'slim fit' slim? I would be of course hugely flattered for someone to suggest that it's slim around the midriff, but shaped in the shoulders and chest area for the powerful and muscular build! Form an ordely queue now ladies...
 cat22 10 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: I got an Ascensionist jacket for Christmas and agree with the review - it's awesome. I've used it a few times and it's really breathable for walk-ins but also reasonably warm when stopped - the perfect weight for active days. It also has the best hood I've ever found on a jacket, which I can hide in when the weather's bad. It's a replacement for my Rab Vapour Rise jacket, which keeps splitting at the seams. The Ascensionist is lighter and less warm than the VR but gives even more freedom of movement.

And mine is a great colour.

The only possible downside is that the women's sizing is really weird. I'm 5'9, size 12 and the women's size small fits me perfectly. But mine is last season's so this may have changed. I've just checked the Patagonia website, and they're not showing the women's version any more, which is a shame.

I plan to use my Ascensionist for long alpine rock routes this summer in the USA, and it should be perfect. I really hope it lasts me a long time.
In reply to cat22: I've been using mine all this season and generally love it.

My only gripe is that the helmet and waist adjusters are "nice and neatly" hidden away inside, making them annoying to adjust.

In fact, if you have a harness or a pack on, the waist adjusters are nearly impossible to use.

The other slight gripe is that it binds really badly with fleece.

Other than that, I agree with all the positives in the review!

P.S. I like the versatility of have a soft shell that is just a shell, as I often just weat it on top of a baselayer for walk-ins - if I get too hot in that, I'm fine in just the baselayer.

When I get to the route, on goes 2 microfleeces (might replace this with a synth mid layer next year) and that's me!
 George Fisher 10 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Love mine too

My only gripe is the grey colour I have blends perfectly with rock and ice making me invisible in photos, looks nice down to pub though.

It does perform brilliantly, base layer and Ascensionist if it's not too cold, add an R2 fleece if it's brass monkeys and use a belay jacket for, well..belays. I've stayed dry all day with wet snow falling heavily on a recent trip.

I no longer carry a hardshell, it's that good.
 TobyA 11 Mar 2010
In reply to Gfunk:

> My only gripe is the grey colour I have blends perfectly with rock and ice making me invisible in photos, looks nice down to pub though.

Have you got it in "feather grey"? My speed ascent is the same colour - its so drab isn't it? But that was the one in my size and on sale.
 George Fisher 11 Mar 2010
In reply to TobyA:

I didn't know it was 'feather' but yes, light grey and dark...grey.

At least I can play 'where's wally' with climbing pics of me.
 TobyA 11 Mar 2010
In reply to Gfunk:

> I didn't know it was 'feather' but yes, light grey and dark...grey.

It's odd that if they were going copy avian plumage they went for a pigeon rather than say a peacock or parrot!
 ClimberEd 11 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

I want to know what they were planning to ski off the Verte?
 SFar 11 Mar 2010
In reply to ClimberEd:
Well this review definitely fills me with hope. My much loved Dimension (forerunner of the Ascentionist) literally fell apart at the seams this winter - sent it back to Patagonia and they're sending me a brand new Ascentionist
And don't worry, apparently they've fixed the problems with the seams on recent jackets...
 The EpiCentre 12 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: The Ascentionist is a firm favourite amongst the Epicentre staff. It has been put through its paces in the great winter that we've been having.
 chris_s 12 Mar 2010
In reply to SFar:

That's good to know! My Dimension has just finished its sixth season and is starting to look a bit ragged round the edges.
 ClimberEd 12 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

I picked one up for a shade over £160 with my BMC discount at S&R today.
 Scarab 15 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Superb, I spotted this jacket and thought of weather it could replace my current hardshell whilst still being a membrane less soft shell. Bought it and then found this review which is weird as Im normally glued to ukc.

Used in wales last weekend.

My only gripe is that 1: the pockets arent climber friendly 2: It feels like its letting more wind through than my rab hardshell. But I guess thats the price you have to pay for extra breath ability. Im still going to stick with it though as its still the best thing Ive tried yet!

Djupnes 28 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:
I love it but I've been using the ME Astron more recently due to the retarded pocket placement of the Ascensionist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...