UKC

Norway 3rd week in June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KeithAlexander 25 May 2010
I am going to Trondheim for work mid June, and can take time off from 16th - 22nd.
I'd like to climb on Stetind and/or Lofoten Islands ... or anything good really, but I'm going alone so would need to find a climbing partner.

Would anyone here be available to climb during that time, or could recommend a good place to advertise for climbing partners in Norway?

I guess I have enough time to travel over to Stetind/Lofoten, but are there other areas, perhaps closer to Trondheim, I should be looking into?

Alternately, any recommendations for hiking/scrambling routes ?

Any info much appreciated.
 bridget143 25 May 2010
In reply to KeithAlexander:

http://www.brattesider.no/
http://www.fjellforum.net/getdaily.php
You can advertise on these forums (translation Steep Side/Page) just use English, all Norwegians speak amazing English just remember Takk = thanks.
Check this out:
http://home.online.no/~mariusbe/nor/areas.html

Check Rockfax for the Stetind mini-guide or full Lofoten Guide

http://www.dntfjellsport.no/
DNT is the National organisation for mountain huts

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Bridget
 eivindf 25 May 2010
In reply to KeithAlexander: It's easy to find partners in Lofoten if you camp by the "Gandalf Wall" at Festvåg close to Henningsvær. June is popular so it should be easy for you to find partners. I'm going up there about the 19th. Klatrekafèen is also a possible place to meet up with partners, but it doesn't have that climbing community you'd expect.
Bridget, eivindf, thanks for the info.

eivindf: Are you just turning up with a rack and a smile?

franksnb 25 May 2010
In reply to KeithAlexander: mildly off topic I will be in oslo for 6 weeks from mid august onwards for work. what's the climbing like around there? mostly sport? I'll try that web site too.
 Fiend 25 May 2010
In reply to bridget143:

Hmmm, when am I visiting to climb in Norway again?? Would it be near when Keith is there??
 bridget143 25 May 2010
In reply to Fiend:
I don't know you haven't told me yet!! July or August is best... I have to go to Albania in June.

There is loads of climbing around Oslo... sport lots, trad plenty, bouldering much. Bring your kit.
 eivindf 26 May 2010
Yes, that would be the way to do it. Also bring a tent so you'll have somewhere to sleep in-between your smiling. I have friends up there camping all summer. There's usually also a couple of Brit's around at all time discussing how many E's the route would get......

The other nice campsites are Kalle and Djupvikfjorden, all of which have a constant supply of fresh water. And it's free, of course!
OK, got the rockfax, booking flights. still not got anyone to climb with, so bumping this thread on the offchance anyone is looking for a partner - I'd probably be looking to do long routes probably around grade 5 (a guess - not really sure what to make of these norwegian grades yet). I'd really love to do stuff like Only Bilberries, or I'd travel over to climb Stetind.
 DanielJ 11 Jun 2010
In reply to KeithAlexander: I´m not up in Lofoten til the end of july so cant help with partners.

However. My experience of british grades are limited but unless I´m way off the mark you can def. aim higher than grade 5 (more like n6 if yoú are climbing E1 back in the UK). Lofoten grades seems to be a little bit on the soft side, at least compared to the swedish westcoast.

But of course, you should still climb Only Bilberries.
In reply to slob:

thanks - the descriptions of the routes in the rockfax are sometimes a little intimidating so I'm trying to be a little conservative in my grade conversions. Hopefully you're right, and interesting to know your take on Lofoten grades

I would be interested, for those days when I can't find a partner, what norwegian grade is most equivalent to uk Moderate/Difficult grades.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...