UKC

What do people use to mark their gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerwolf 08 Jun 2010
is electrical tape ok?
and do people use super glue to ensure it doesn't come off?

and i heard that the adhesive used in some electrical tape can be detrimental to the metal of a quickdraw
is this just a myth, or what?
thanks
 steev 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

Angle grinder.
 Tree 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: Everyone I climb with marks their kit, so I leave mine unmarked...
In reply to TomBond:

Have you seen:

http://www.toughtags.co.uk/

Definitely do the job!

OP gingerwolf 08 Jun 2010
In reply to Duncan Disorderly: ahhhh, thats interesting
but i was thinking a cheaper alternative really...
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond

Bog standard PVC tape is what I've always used, and everyone else I climb with. You need to replace it every year or so but that time is well spent looking for frayed wires etc.

Don't think you are being clever by using green/yellow earth tape: not only does everyone else chose it, but would you want to be caught in a thunder storm looking like an earthing rod
 elsewhere 08 Jun 2010
Two different bright colours of enamel paint (those tiny pots of Humbrol).
Too stingy to buy brushes so I used q-tip/cotton swabs to apply a little dab of paint to metal, preferably into text or brand mark where paint will go into the crevices.
Obviously do not apply paint to slings etc.

I put a few stitches of thread with the same colour coding through the product labels on my slings. I sewed through the product labels sewn onto the sling by the manufacturer and not through the sling.
Obviously do not sew through the slings.
 stewieatb 08 Jun 2010
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to TomBond
> would you want to be caught in a thunder storm looking like an earthing rod

I like the way you think, sir!

Red electrical tape.
 SGD 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: I did use toxic wrap for a while untill someone nick it.....my g/f has just marked all her gear with finger tape which she has then coloured with 'Shocker' nail varnish.....shocker is really, really pink....
 jas wood 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: nail varnish is about the best :O)
Dirk Didler 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: joobies
 deepstar 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: My main climbing buddy the late Dave Long was a tool maker and used to stamp his cams and chocks with his innitials,another "aquantance"Knicked one and rather amateurishly altered the D to a B,he didnt get asked to climb with us anymore!And yes we liberated the cam.
 jasonC abroad 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

I use electrical tape, two colours (red and green) to distinguish from friends. Works fine for me, as others have mentioned you'll need to change them once a year or so.

J
Removed User 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: Duct tape cut into thinnish strips. It never comes off...
 mlmatt 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

I'd suggest using three colours of tape. then you can over lap and create a "tag" that is unique to your gear. I only really suggest three because I've seen so many people using two colours.

It doesn't really take that long to do a rack, and with three at least the tape is a little more hard wearing. I climb alot and mine lasted well for the last three years, since I last relaced it.
 Beaker 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

Trango Rack Tags
 Chi Cheng 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

I use A4 vinyl sheets found and bought on eBay for £3.50 for 5 sheets.

Each sheet can be cut into 150: 7cm x 6mm strips with a Stanley knife and ruler.

Using 2 strips give a unique tag as there are at least 2 dozens colours to choose from.

I got one sheet of orange, one purple and 3 sheets of clear to give my tags another Layer of protection. Most likely over kill.
 Hannes 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: I found grey electrical tape which I've never seen anyone else use. Its not the most visible marking though
I dip all the wires in yellow paint, the trigger wires on cams too. It never comes off as it penetrates so deep. Slings I don't care about. Quickdraw krabs with two different colours of tape. But basically I climb with honest mates.
 jkarran 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

Mine's mostly identified by patina, damage and memory.

If you go for tape get nice quality thin stuff, keep fingerprints off the glue while you're fitting it and it'll last for years. Nail varnish/enamel paint in the hollows is probably more robust but messier up front.

jk
 metal arms 08 Jun 2010
In reply to jkarran:

I just do a little squirt of wee every couple of months so it has my scent. I've found this is most effective if I do this while already at a crag.
 NorthernRock 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

I use electrical tape on my krabs, and same colour zip ties on cams and nuts. Cams you have to look at indicidually where to mark, but the new hollow nuts, you can zippy one leg of the wire inside the nut.
 David Barlow 08 Jun 2010
Enamel paint
 fleapitfan 08 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

I just piss on my gear every couple of weeks.

Seems to stop people touching it.
 NorthernRock 08 Jun 2010
In reply to fleapitfan:

Remind me never to juggle your nuts in my mouth.......
 muppetfilter 08 Jun 2010
In reply to NorthernRock: Your facebook profile picture tells a different story.....
 NorthernRock 08 Jun 2010
In reply to muppetfilter:

Ah, home then Mr Windy Miller!!!!!

Aigen 09 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: A small dap of nail polish on krabs and cams.
 Toerag 09 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: electrician's tape or Tulip 'slick' acrylic paint. The latter works well on the wire or nuts and cams and slings. It works well in the hollows on I-beam -type krabs, but will rub off smooth exposed bits.
 fleapitfan 09 Jun 2010
In reply to NorthernRock:
> (In reply to fleapitfan)
>
> Remind me never to juggle your nuts in my mouth.......

Ohh err!
In reply to TomBond: I like to singe my equipment with a lighter (just a little) cos I know no one would ever do that but me! there's method in the madness
 WombatCreek 10 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond: Blood. Not deliberately mind, my hands just crack a lot. Most of my gear now has a dark red stain on it somewhere.
 stewieatb 10 Jun 2010
In reply to WombatCreek:
> (In reply to TomBond) Blood. Not deliberately mind, my hands just crack a lot. Most of my gear now has a dark red stain on it somewhere.

Sounds like the home made-skateboards I used to do. Most ended up with a bloodstain somewhere. It generally originated around the time I covered the board in masking tape and cut out the decals for spray paint with a very sharp Stanley.
 JWB 10 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

I use black OHP permanent marker pen. I either write my name or colour in bits.

I dont like the insulting tape method as it adds weight........
 stewieatb 10 Jun 2010
In reply to JWB:
> (In reply to TomBond)
>
> insulting tape

What does insulting tape do?

"Oy, knobhead, this isn't your cam you daft f*cker. Give it back."
 knthrak1982 10 Jun 2010
In reply to TomBond:

I found some tape on eBay that's black with white skulls and pink crowns. The tape itself is crap and doesn't stay on well, but so far I've never met anyone else using it....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...