UKC

Backpack or Ropebag???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oem_uk 18 Jun 2010
Hi,

Would you get a Backpack or Ropebag that could fit all you stuff in and why? Dont know which to get?

Cheers
In reply to oem_uk: I've gone full circle on this one. At first I had a DMM that worked as a rucksack and I could get everything in. The disadvantage I found was that stuff tended fall out when the tarp was extended and the ground was not level. A separate compartment inside would have helped in this regard, especially a small one for wallet and phone etc.(DMM please take note) The bag could also feel a bit "crammed" when full and was not as comfortable to carry as a proper rucksack. I now use one that holds just the rope and carry the rest of my gear in a small rucksack. It's a little inconvenient but most sport crags are easy access and this gives me more flexibility especially if I need to carry warm clothing etc.

Al
 BaddaBing 18 Jun 2010
Hello!!! I've been looking for exactly the same thing today.

Found an old link which recommended something from Decathlon

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=402267.

It seems to have a separate lightweight rope bag, but includes pockets for all your things.

Although today I'm mulling over ordering the Mammut Neon Gear

http://www.mammut.ch/en/pm_2010_nea_gear.html;jsessionid=4FC02C157CF992C56E...

If you download the press release it shows you the interior.

But it is £80 in comparison to the Decathlon one at £50.

For me I will probably order the Mammut one, seems to tick off a lot of things for me, separate compartments, for things, gear loops, rope bag with big opening, both a back pack as well as a duffel bag. Place for my shoes, water and hopefully a banana or two. It is 45L so should fit most ropes, I saw someone say that 30L fits a rope of 80m as a guide.

But if you see anything else let me know?

Bing

In reply to oem_uk:
> Would you get a Backpack or Ropebag that could fit all you stuff in and why? Dont know which to get?

OP oem_uk 18 Jun 2010
Thanks for the replies. i have had a look in Decathalon too. Will do some more reading/looking then decide.

Cheers
In reply to BabbaB: The Mammut one looks the dogs do-das for a sado like me who likes a place for everything and everything in it's place but that's a bit of a price to pay for a "climbing organiser"

Al
 Will Hunt 18 Jun 2010
In reply to oem_uk:
Depends exactly on what you want to use it for. Sport and nothing else then probably rope bag so long as you dont mind your sarnies, water, rope, harness etc all getting mashed up into a big bundle (I would).
If you're intending on going tradding or anything at a crag with any notable walk in then surely a rucksack is the obvious choice.
Removed User 18 Jun 2010
In reply to oem_uk:
hi,
i bought the rab's rope bag,i think that its fantastic,comfortable with my 60m rope, hasn't got any pockets but accomodates quickdraws and a pair shoes and is cheap from needle sports
seb
 gingerwolf 18 Jun 2010
In reply to oem_uk: beal combi ropebag is excellent
i have one, and fit everything in apart from a rope no problem when going trad climbing
http://www.rockrun.com/products/Combi-Rope-Rucksack.html
£30
 gingerwolf 18 Jun 2010
In reply to BabbaB: the mammut just looks like a glorified version of the decathlon one
the decathlon one is just as good, my dad has one
 womblesi 18 Jun 2010
In reply to Removed Usersebastian74:
> (In reply to Removed Useroliccm)
> hi,
> I bought the rab's rope bag,i think that its fantastic,comfortable with my 60m rope, hasn't got any pockets but accommodates quickdraws and a pair shoes and is cheap from needle sports
> seb

I would second that recommendation.

Simon
 Phippsy 19 Jun 2010
In reply to oem_uk: I have just got a Petzl bug rucksack thing, awesome, has little inside pocket for wallet, loads of places to stick gear on and a little easy access pocket at the back for any time you need to grab your guide really quick.Idid have a dmm rope bag but didnt like it so seperated the tarp part, and just chuck that down. the rope just goes under the rucksack. and I think it looks great. cheap as well pretty sure it was £30 from banana fingers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...