UKC

Offwidth Site is back online

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 20 Jul 2010
http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/home.html

Massive thanks due from Lynn and I to Paul Phillips for agreeing to host this.

("Offwidth" is a non commercial site and the post has been made in conjunction with UKC.)
OP Offwidth 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

Incidently guidebook work put most of our development work on hold so not much changed in the period the site was down. We are currently about two thirds of the way through updating our scripts for the new Froggatt guide.
 iain_cbr 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:
looks good from just a quick glance. I've bookmarked it anyway. hope it goes well for you!
OP Offwidth 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Chris Tan Ver. LII - On the Bog:

Deliberate of course. For those unfamiliar with the site it has been left 'clunky' partly to dissuade people from trying to use it as a guidebook. We strongly prefer people to buy real guides!
 sutty 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

Excellent news, missed it a lot at times.

How you fixed for bandwidth if everyone rushes to it?

For those who have never seen it there are lots of good ideas for all medium grade climbers there.
OP Offwidth 20 Jul 2010
In reply to sutty:

"How you fixed for bandwidth if everyone rushes to it?" lol
 sutty 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

Bookmarked, tried using old bookmark but didn't work so one more to delete.

This is the bit I like most;

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/top_tens.html
OP Offwidth 20 Jul 2010
In reply to sutty:

Fixed on my profile now. The old site address (ie old bookmarks) won't work.
 Michael Hood 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth: Glad to see it's back
 Phil West 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

Will check it out at home later. I remember it from ages ago. Was really good, thanks.

Disappointed it doesn't work with mobile though

Phil (on the train)
In reply to Michael Hood:

nice to see it back, i'll be looking at it for inspiration, if i get a chance to get out...
 Bulls Crack 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

The low-grade grit site? A bit self-abased? it's not a bad site at all!
 howlingbaboon 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth: Glad to see it back up again. Cheers mate.
 winhill 20 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

Is it a sub domain of uptosummit now?

I was behind a black astra(?) 05v estate today sporting an uptosummit sticker. Flew off round the ring road and left me standing though.
In reply to Offwidth:

FYI- Jon Read's Grit list no longer exists on Geosites, but there's a UKBouldering update wiki here: http://gritlist.wetpaint.com/
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

Great to see it back, such a wealth of info to have just been floating in the ether.

Chris
Martin Kocsis, BMC 21 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth: Great stuff: now I'll be able to save myself a load of effort on the moorland guide by just pinching your work and claiming all the glory for myself.
 220bpm 21 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

Good stuff lad, like what I see.

Punter friendly sites ftw
OP Offwidth 22 Jul 2010
In reply to all

Thanks for all the thanks.

In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Sadly no changes on moorland and it will be a while before we get round to updating stuff we did there over the last year or so. We are trying to catch up with Froggatt and Roaches first and work and real climbing will certainly interfere.
OP Offwidth 22 Jul 2010
In reply to bentley's biceps:

Got that, lots of links need sorting and we'll do that and various front end changes when we make the new Froggatt stuff live (hopefully mid Aug). We are always greatful for feedback but its probably best to wait until after that as several changes will go thorough then.
OP Offwidth 22 Jul 2010
In reply to winhill:

That will be Dan. Its amazing you even saw the car... how much was it red shifted ?
In reply to Offwidth:

I think he means one of the uptosummit.com logo stickers. Dan's rolling around in a Mercedes Vito lately (not quite as fast as he used to .
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> How you fixed for bandwidth if everyone rushes to it?

Ha ha ha!

Yeah! Don't all rush at once. You've used nearly 4MB of bandwidth today! You'll be bringing my server to it's knees
OP Offwidth 24 Jul 2010
In reply to Paul Phillips:

Yeah he told me in the pub hes all grown up now. Was it you?
In reply to Offwidth:

Could've been Alex in an Astra Estate, he does drive like a mentalist at the best of times.
OP Offwidth 28 Jul 2010
In reply to Paul Phillips:

Alex must have just heard the icicle is 'in' on the Castleton Concrete Factory Chimney.

As for bandwidth I don't think there will be a struggle but heading up for 2000 views, including 8 from Azerbaidjan (good to hear there is interest in low grade grit there... maybe a different kind??), is better than I expected.
 sandy 28 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth: Maybe it is just me but none of the buttons/links work at all (using Ubuntu & Firefox 3.6.8). Clicking on any of the buttons results in the pressed animation but nothing else...

sutty 28 Jul 2010
In reply to sandy:

Just you, using FF same as you and just double checked to see if it was a script but can't see anything.
 sandy 29 Jul 2010
In reply to sutty: Thanks sutty, is that on Windows or on Linux. My system has a brand new out of the box Ubuntu install, so I suspect that there may be problems for any Ubuntu users...

OP Offwidth 29 Jul 2010
In reply to sandy:

Thanks for leting me know. The files were produced in an old version of Flash but most new software seems to retain backward compatability. A similar bug could be bypassed by pressing buttons twice (annoying but it worked)
 EricpAndrew 29 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:
its rubbish, were is all the proper climbing!?
OP Offwidth 29 Jul 2010
In reply to EricpAndrew:

We thought about a site for tall climbers who climb hard grades by reaching past crux moves but didn't think there was as big a market as for punters. C ya 2night.
 Mike_Hayes 29 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth: I knew there was something missing in my life....
OP Offwidth 29 Jul 2010
In reply to wolverine:

...that would explain a few things.
 Sul 29 Jul 2010
In reply to Offwidth:

I am sure there is a lot of interesting content. However, I simply cannot bear the fluorescent garish colour scheme. What is wrong with plain black text some white space and some pastel colours where required. Are you perchance red green colour blind? (which causes those with such condition to over compensate colour and brightness in the eyes of those without?) Or is it just a crap template that you have chosen from the software you have used to generate the site?

GA
 JDal 29 Jul 2010
In reply to Grimpeur ancien:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> I am sure there is a lot of interesting content.....blah de subjective blah..
>

Jeez, I wish this site had smilies. I know what I'd say to you if I was offwidth and I'd spent years gathering information, cajoling mates to do stuff, writing it up and then making it available to all and sundry for free, with no advertising (that I can see).

To Offwidth: I don't climb in the Peak, but well done to you. You've inspired me to think of doing a similar thing for Northumberland. Maybe I can adapt our NMC Online Guide. Or maybe it's just too much like hard work!

In reply to Offwidth: Great to have you back Offwidth. I think the website is an inspiration and i agree with everything you've done - except some of the grading, well most of the grading. Keep up the good work though and i'll hopefully climb with you soon. J
OP Offwidth 02 Aug 2010
In reply to micros are cool:

Thats impressive to disagree with most of them given 'Offwidth' matches 90%+ with the definitive guides now
 Sul 02 Aug 2010
In reply to JDal:
> (In reply to Grimpeur ancien)
> [...]
>
> Jeez, I wish this site had smilies. I know what I'd say to you if I was offwidth and I'd spent years gathering information, cajoling mates to do stuff, writing it up and then making it available to all and sundry for free, with no advertising (that I can see).
>
> To Offwidth: I don't climb in the Peak, but well done to you. You've inspired me to think of doing a similar thing for Northumberland. Maybe I can adapt our NMC Online Guide. Or maybe it's just too much like hard work!

Yeah shame all that hard work is (for me anyway) spoiled. A spade is a spade. Content needs proper context
OP Offwidth 05 Aug 2010
In reply to Grimpeur ancien:

I take your point but you do seem to want to make it a lot.

Been busy on some upgrades but I'm afraid colour schemes isnt top of my priority list. Us engineers never really understood the niceties of those on Douglas Adams' 'B Ark'. Most users can fight through the colours and the contrast levels are seemingly not as bad as they could be for the colour blind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...