UKC

antibiotics and alcohol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 26 Jul 2010
hello all

in addition to everything else I'm assuming that the good people of UKC know lots about medicine.

I've just been put on a course of amoxycillin for a tooth infection, and my dentist told me to avoid alcohol. My understanding was that metronidazole was the one that made people vomit (I've taken it before and have studiously avoided alcohol for the duration of my course just in case) but I've not been told that about other antibiotics before. There are no big 'don't drink alcohol' warnings on the notes that come with the medicine.

I'm just curious really. What will happen if I do drink? Will I explode?

JimR 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

You could explode in great big mushroom shaped cloud of pooh!

OTOH I don't know

In reply to Tall Clare:

It can potentially make an antibiotic less effective, but with penicillins it probably won't make any difference.

I assume they asked about the pill, which is more of an issue.
 terryturbojr 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

My dad's a dentist and he's prescribed me amoxycilin a number of times and always said it's fine to drink on.
 Padraig 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

have a mate whos a GP and when this q was asked before he said it was something to do with alcohol lowering the immune system and making it harder/slower for the antibiotics to do their job. HTH
In reply to nobody in particular:

They should always check about contraception when prescribing antibiotics- pretty negligent not to.
OP Tall Clare 26 Jul 2010
In reply to bentley's biceps:

sorry - I deleted. Whether you use oral contraceptives is on the same list as the 'do you have any allergies' and 'are you HIV +ve' form.
 teflonpete 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of alchohol. ;0)
In reply to Tall Clare:

That's OK then. But you'd be surprised how many don't ask. Something to be aware of, for anyone taking the Pill!
In reply to bentley's biceps:

I've never been to a healthcare practitioner where I didn't have to fill out a form about my medical history. I thought it was routine.
 sutty 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Careful now, slowly, slower, release your grip on the gin bottle. Now step back, turn and walk away.

Now you can have a glass of good healthy Adams ale, ice and lemon is good with it.
In reply to sutty:

Never. Ever. Release. The. Grip. On. The. Gin. Bottle.
FiendishMcButton 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Only when it's empty
 John_Hat 26 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to sutty)
>
> Never. Ever. Release. The. Grip. On. The. Gin. Bottle.

Which variety is your preferred tipple? Lady Blue being a Gin Queen (so to speak) I was wondering if you've found a variety that we haven't and is worth trying out....
 SFM 27 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

I was told(by a doctor*)that drinking alcohol when on anib's just caused you to p*ss them out therefore reducing their effectiveness that way. One or two(small) glasses of wine, with food over an evening I'm sure would be fine.

*they might have been a non-medical doctor :O)
 Kid Spatula 27 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Metronidazole, avoid alcohol like the plague.

All others. As long as you take them a couple of hours before the boozing begins then the alcohol won't affect absorption. May increase renal secretion or potentially decrease the levels of alcohol due to induction of cytochrome P450 2E1.
 ben b 27 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Morning TC. You are quite right.
Amoxy: little difference to either you or the antibiotic.
Metronidazole: Lie sweating, shaking, vomiting like a dog and wishing for death, which would frankly be preferable to going on feeling like this. Apparently it does get better after a few hours though.
You are unlikely to explode unless you were going to do so for another reason entirely... which may depend on how ginebriated you aim to be?
B
OP Tall Clare 27 Jul 2010
In reply to ben b:

Haha! I'm laying off the booze for the duration of the antibiotics anyway - think it won't do me any harm. I intend to rectify the situation on friday evening after a) the antibiotics are finished, and b) the next visit to the dentist is over. I think I'll need a drink after that...
 sutty 27 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Do you actually drink gin, never noticed, the earlier comment was light hearted as you guessed. Only ever seen you with beer.
In reply to sutty:

Oh yes, I do like gin, and wine, and lager, and beer. Gin's a bit more elegant than beer, which seems fitting in some situations
In reply to sutty:

I was actually drinking gin on the night of the Unfortunate Incident That Shall Never Be Referred To Again...
 sutty 27 Jul 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

LOL, God only knows what I drank that night. Don't remember anything really after about 10pm.
In reply to sutty:

Probably best

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...