UKC

Separate gear for Sport and Trad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Nolan 13 Aug 2010
Does anybody on here use separate gear for sport climbing and trad climbing?

Apart from the obvious use of maybe, for example, a gri gri instead of a traditional belay device or a single rope instead of half ropes.

What about quickdraws, harnesses and rock shoes and anything else I can't think of at the moment?

Thanks
 Monk 13 Aug 2010
In reply to Mike Nolan:

I am ashamed to say that I pretty much do. I use my older solid gate quickdraws for sport, having replaced the old tapes. I also have a separate harness, although that is more because i got it very cheap and I don't find my winter/trad harness particularly well suited to sport as it is bigger. I also tend to use a different pair of rockshoes, but that is mainly because I have a stiffer pair for edging, and most sport routes are on limestone so suit these shoes well.

Basically, I do seem to have seperate geaer for sport and trad/winter. It's by no means essential though.
 Hannes 13 Aug 2010
In reply to Mike Nolan: I've got ten oxygen solidgates I replace my nice helium wiregates with on the bolt side, than and borrowing a single rope as I don't have one.
 Reach>Talent 13 Aug 2010
In reply to Mike Nolan:
Not so much separate gear but I have far more quickdraws than I need so I normally only carry the short ones on sport routes. So I probably have about 6 quickdraws that get almost exclusively used on sport routes although they are the same design as my others (DMM Spectres).
 TobyA 13 Aug 2010
In reply to Mike Nolan: Not really but I do have different gear for summer and winter. I use keylock plaingate krabs for most of my quickdraws in the summer, but my six screamers that are the core of my ice climbing gear have wiregates - BD hotwires on the rope end that I still find the best for clipping with gloves on.
 Chi Cheng 13 Aug 2010
In reply to Mike Nolan:
Yep as I'm a bit of a gear whore.

Got 16 camp orbit QDs solid gate, key nose, swapped the slings for Petzl ones. Beal lanyard that got given to me as a gift. Look to get a cinch or if I can wait a GriGri 2.

As for my trad rack QDs are super light Wild Country astros could not afford DMM Phantoms.

Use the same shoes but for sport a little smaller in size than my trad shoe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...