UKC

Cheapest Possible Font Trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ewan2010 26 Aug 2010
I'd like to go to font this summer for a week, and need to do it as cheap as possible. We are gonna drive from up here in Scotland then ferry across. I'd like to know what you reckon a reasonable budget is? I imagine camping would be cheapest, and i've heard there are some free bothy spots?
Cheers,

Ewan
 smithaldo 26 Aug 2010
In reply to Ewan2010:

Depending on numbers might be cheaper to fly and hire car? Petrol ferries tolls and time taken might override other costs. Bas cuvier site used to be free but no facilities.
 Adam Lincoln 26 Aug 2010
In reply to Ewan2010:

Well, assuming you live near Glasgow. I would guess fuel for the week, plus driving around would come to about £180. Ferry, about £50. Tolls, £35. So £265 plus food and camping.
 brices 27 Aug 2010
Not to jump in on this thread but a question along the same lines

are there any free bivi sites/ places where you can sleep in a van and not get moved on? do any of them have a water tap?

Cheers

Simon
 smyth7 27 Aug 2010
There is a free bivvy spot with no facilities at the hippodrome on the outskirts of Fontainebleau town. The usual rule applies - tents down during the day. However, I just heard that this may be shut down soon due to too many people lighting fires.
 balmybaldwin 27 Aug 2010
In reply to Ewan2010:

With ferries, go for the really cheap rates (at 2am etc) and if you turn up early they nornmally let you on the more expensive crossings for no extra fee (well P&O did for us.

Recent trip camping at Grez-sur-loing climbing mainly at crags in trois pignions (sp?) cost a total of £180 each for the week including food drink & camping etc (2 sharing a car from guildford and cookng for ourselves (except breakie))

Musardiere is very pricy compared to Grez, but if your car can't do 35mpg then it might be cheaper overall as it's closer to the northern bouldering areas
 patsaunders 27 Aug 2010
In reply to brices: if you are in a van you can park over night in the car park for cul de chien, there used to be a water pump/tap in the middle but not sure it works still. There is a water fountain in Milly town centre tho.
Ewan2010 28 Aug 2010
In reply to smithaldo: unfortunately you have to have been driving for at least 3 years or something to hire a car so thats not really an option
 Trangia 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Ewan2010:

Another vote for the Grez sur Loing campsite. Nice owners who speak English. Pretty village with a lovely stone bridge over the Loing. Small supermarket and bakery in village.

http://www.camping-grez-fontainebleau.info/france/ile-de-france/camping-car...

Nearest climbing areas are Trois Pignons , Elephant and Dame Jouanne. All about 15/20 mins drive.

Enjoy and take sunblock and loads of water to the rocks - Font in August can get very hot.
 lukef 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Ewan2010:

Norfolk Line booked in advance for a late crossing to dunkirk (slightly further but cheaper) can be as low as £28 return inc passengers.
 DWilliamson 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Ewan2010:

Don't use the toll roads, bivvy or camp in the woods - sleeping in the car is also an option if there's space. Cheapest place to buy food for the week is Leclerc. According to my edition of the purple Font guide there are various free bivvy spots, but we couldn't find them and a newer French edition indicated that these have now been removed.
In reply to DWilliamson:

The tolls aren't exactly extortionate. E20.20 then 2.20 to get to Malesherbes, and it saves a lot of time.
Ewan2010 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Ewan2010: cheers for all the wee tips
 smyth7 20 Sep 2010
In reply to patsaunders:

The water fountain in the middle of the Roche aux Sabots carpark is still working. This is the parking that is marked as P1 Trois Pignon on some road signs around there.
 Reach>Talent 20 Sep 2010
In reply to DWilliamson:
Even if you are trying to go as inexpensively as possible I'd still use the tolls, it shaves a lot off your time! I'd even go as far as going on a crash diet to stump up the toll money
 chris sm 20 Sep 2010
In reply to Ewan2010:

I've dossed in the car park at Sabot many a time and it seems fine, but for a week you'd need to find some showers etc… there is clean public loo in Milly but you’d be better booking into a campsite every couple of nights. Avoid La Musadiere (sp?) campsite if you are on a budget as it’s rather expensive.

Toll is 20.20EUR if you come from Calais and turn off at the Milly exit of the A6 (Peage starts again just after). Toll is worth it to avoid painful alternatives. If money is that tight then try squeezing an extra person in the car or driving at 58mph

You could take food from UK if you are driving but you’d be better off stocking up with beer in the supermkts in Chailly-en-B or Milly.
 brices 22 Sep 2010
If any ones interested we stayed in the sabot/cul du chien car park for 7 out of 10 nights in our van, no problems at all. the tap in the middle works.

if you have a van with a toilet there is a Aire du service about 3 miles up the road where you can empty toilets/ top up water etc + stay for 48 hours if you have a van. this is in "milly-la-foret" in the field next to the total service station.

there were a few people staying there in tents just putting them up late and taking down in the morning, a loveley place,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...