UKC

NEW REVIEW: Puma: DMM's First Female-Specific Harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 08 Sep 2010
Montage Pic DMM Puma, 3 kbSarah Stirling tests much-loved British brand DMM's new harness for women. "If you've studied the female form, or own one, you'll know there's usually a bigger difference between women's hip and waist measurements than men's, and their rise (waist to crotch) is longer."

The Puma has the same topnotch range of features for all seasons as the flagship unisex DMM Renegade, but offers ladies better comfort and fit (those size XS to M, that is). The only really obvious difference is the colour. Is the Puma purple because it's not too girly, but a bit girly?

"Spot on, and it's been a popular choice according to the feedback we have received," DMM's Product Developer Graham Desroy told me...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2978

Blue Straggler 08 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Will there be a "Cougar" model marketed at the more senior lady?
 Sarah Stirling 08 Sep 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: ... DMM said the next logical step, if they expand the female-specific range, would be a fixed leg loop version. I'm not sure this would be marketed at the more senior lady. Or what they would call it. Suggestions on a postcard.
Removed User 08 Sep 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: Bastard you beat me to it!!!
 cat22 08 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Any plans for a female version of the Viper? I'd really like a harness with 5 gear loops (and £70 is quite a lot of money). I couldn't get any of the unisex sized ones to fit me.

I often find that one problem with the ziplock buckles is that the webbing isn't long enough to get the harness over my hips when I find a size that goes small enough on the waist. And if you have to undo the buckle every time, that rather removes the point of the ziplock buckles.
 Sarah Stirling 08 Sep 2010
In reply to cat22: From what DMM said, no female version of the Viper on the cards at the moment.

Cheers, Sarah
In reply to Sarah Stirling-Assistant Editor: Where is it made?
 Jonny2vests 09 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Sarah,

Nice write up. Whilst I like most of what DMM make, unfortunately every DMM harness I've had has fallen to bits within 1-2 years. The stitching on the logos is normally the first to go. The renegade was an absolute shocker for stitching. Any idea whether they've addressed these issues?

Jon Leighton.
 nikinko 09 Sep 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:
> . The renegade was an absolute shocker for stitching. Any idea whether they've addressed these issues?

I had a gear loop go on my first renegade (pulled out of the stitching) and although DMM claimed I probably did it in use they still replaced the harness for me. The replacement has been fine, but I only do trad once a month, so probably not putting it through the demands you do.

Will be interested to know from others who use them heavily?
 TobyA 09 Sep 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:
> unfortunately every DMM harness I've had has fallen to bits within 1-2 years. The stitching on the logos is normally the first to go. The renegade was an absolute shocker for stitching. Any idea whether they've addressed these issues?

DMM are normally very good at taking back any of their products with problems so I would contact them direct. If its less than one year you have your statutory rights anyway. But as a counterpoint, my Renegade http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1333 has done two winter and three summer seasons of at least weekly use and, whilst scuffed and dirty, is otherwise absolutely fine - but if you have stitching failing, I'd stop using it and discuss it with DMM.
 Sarah Stirling 09 Sep 2010
In reply to jonny2vests: Oh hello, Jon. I've been using my Puma regularly since Februrary and it is showing no signs of falling to bits!!! I'm looking at it now - definitely no signs of any stitching failing or other major wear. I thought Toby might reply as it's been a couple of years since his Renegade review. It is good to hear his is still fine after this length of time.

Cheers, Sarah
 DMM Wales 09 Sep 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Sarah,
>
> Nice write up. Whilst I like most of what DMM make, unfortunately every DMM harness I've had has fallen to bits within 1-2 years. The stitching on the logos is normally the first to go. The renegade was an absolute shocker for stitching. Any idea whether they've addressed these issues?
>
> Jon Leighton.

Hi Jon,
Glad you like most of what we make, and sorry to hear about your experiences with all your DMM Harnesses.
Could I ask how many , which models, and did you contact us about the faults ? A Harness 'falling to bits' sounds a bit drastic, but usage, where its used, how often ,in what conditions etc etc can all have an influence. We take any problems with our kit very seriously and would hope that we have dealt with your problems correctly, but if we don't get to hear about the problem in the first place we are unable to help.
On the very first Renegade and Maverick Harnesses there was an initial problem with the stitching on the Gearloops which was quickly dealt with, since then we have not recorded any recurrent problems in any of the models
The Harnesses are sewn for us in the Czec Republic.
I look forward to hearing from with the information I requested above
Best
Chris Rowlands
Brand Manager DMM

chris_j_s 09 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

I like my renegade and it isn't showing any signs of wear after 18 months.

I also like the floating waistband although it does lead to my only niggle... if I fall off something when my body is in a horizontal-ish position the floating waistband means that I sometimes spin around in the harness and end up facing the ground. This can be a little worrying especially the first time it happens!!
 Jonny2vests 09 Sep 2010
In reply to Chris Rowlands - DMM:

Hi Chris,

Me and my girlfriend both bought renegades close to when they first appeared. We trad and sport climb a lot, prob 4-5 times a week, drifting indoors in the winter. We don't winter climb.

Perhaps 'falling to bits' was a bit strong. The stitching I am referring to is all non-critical. The logos were quick to start falling off (within 6 months) and the leg loop retainers at the back also suffered and I did repair jobs. Lots of other random, non-critical stitching frayed and it just ended up looking proper tatty well within 2 years.

I didn't contact anyone about the issues - I'm a bit lazy in that regard in general.

On a completely separate note, I also found that my natural body position abseiling with the renegade was leant much further back than with other harnesses - which I wasn't keen on. So I gave the harness to my girlfriend when her leg loop retainers gave in.

I can't remember the name of my DMM harness before that, but it too just didn't seem as hard wearing as I'd have expected.

Perhaps my experiences are isolated examples. Almost every other piece of DMM kit has been top notch - without hesitation I'd say they lead they way with crabs, and perhaps cams too now.

Jon
 DMM Wales 09 Sep 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:

Thanks for that Jon,

It is dificult to say anything helpful without having seen the Harness itself,so I guess just make sure you do contact us with any problems in the future(should there be any)so we can sort it out for you.
4 to 5 times a week is quite heavy usage and depending on where you climb, I can see that after a couple of years it would be possible to cause alot of wear and tear to different parts on a harness, however I am confident that the harnesses out there now are as robust as any other.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and also for your vote of confidence in the hardware.
Best
Chris
In reply to UKC Gear:
> Sarah Stirling tests much-loved British brand DMM's new harness for women.

Sarah Stirling-Assistant Editor: Where is it made?

"The Harnesses are sewn for us in the Czech Republic"

Thanks for the reply.

elephant0907 12 Sep 2010
In reply to cat22:
>
> I often find that one problem with the ziplock buckles is that the webbing isn't long enough to get the harness over my hips when I find a size that goes small enough on the waist. And if you have to undo the buckle every time, that rather removes the point of the ziplock buckles.

I found that with the new WC ones, got a Puma instead

La benya 12 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

The only thing I'm surprised about is the fact that they have reduced the waist to leg loop ratio...

For me having more difference between the two is one of the most important things in a female specific harness.

Women are curvy, not all but most, and I struggle to find a harness that fits tight enough around my waist, and having the right sized leg loops.....
 Quarryboy 12 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:
don't use such unreadable colours for the spreadsheet statistics please I find it almost imposable to read it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...