UKC

Drinking and Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Seb2007 14 Sep 2010
In an attempt to get superfit before a climbing trip at the end of October I've decided to quit drinking. Is this likely to help, or am I just going to put myself through hell only to pick up a pint at the airport and undo any lasting benefit?
In reply to Seb2007:

generally quite high in calories so as long as you eliminate those calories and don't just replace them with others.

Also will possibly mean less hangovers so earlier starts... so depends what you do with those extra 'awake' hours.
 Only a hill 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:
I find that being slightly inebriated improves climbing performance (and in fact many things in life):

youtube.com/watch?v=usDuyoec6Lc&

=P
 Eagle River 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:

I did this 2/3 months before a climbing trip to Spain. The major difference for me was the extra day(s) available for decent training as no matter how keen you are to train with a hangover it’s usually much more effective without one.
 mux 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007: Noooooooooo silly boy !

its the only reason I climb
 Offwidth 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:

Big help: fewer low quality calories, less dehydration, fewer hangovers, fewer drunken injuries. As with any diet you may well put the weight back on if you go back to bad habits but you can't undo the experience of the climbs or all the gains from those experinces.
 Dan J M 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:
> In an attempt to get superfit before a climbing trip at the end of October I've decided to quit drinking. Is this likely to help, or am I just going to put myself through hell only to pick up a pint at the airport and undo any lasting benefit?

Depends how old you are!
 Reach>Talent 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:
I went from VS to HVS by drinking 12 pints the night before. So as I now climb E1 without drinking I only need 120 pints and I'll be able to climb E11. Drinking is big and clever, it will make you climb harder.*

* Warning, this statement may be misleading and incorrect.
 Timmd 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:

I don't suppose it'd do any harm. You could try saving drinking for one day a week if you find you're struggling, and have an enjoyable rest day?

I don't drink by the way, but it's what i'd do I think if I found I was struggling, rather than going back to drinking over the whole week, so you'd get most of the benefits of not drinking.

Cheers
Tim
In reply to Seb2007: I end up spilling most of it. Better waiting till you've finished.
OP Seb2007 14 Sep 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Couldn't you take a shortcut and drink three bottles of gin?
 DJonsight 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007: Isn't there a danger of just becoming a lightweight and ending up more hungover when you return to drinking on your trip.(And looking like a tw*t.)

And a good deal of heavy drinkers would seem to have managed to climb pretty hard.
 jkarran 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:

Depends how much (and what) you're drinking now but so long as you don't replace it all with sugar-rich fizzy drinks you'll probably lose some weight. That said, you don't exactly look like a pie-botherer in your profile so you may not have much to lose.

There's an element of truth to the 'becoming lightweight' thing but in some ways it's good: Pissed on less... less hungover... better climbing

jk
 Timmd 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:

By the way, i'm not mentiioning me not drinking as a way of being superiour, but more out of being clear about which angle i'm coming from I suppose.

Cheers
Tim
 Ropeboy 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Seb2007:

A tricky one, yes cutting back on the beer will help, however I've recently discovered a very tasty Czech 5% lager from the Co-op so I'm struggling not to drink a couple most evenings.

J

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...