UKC

Crib goch Vs striding edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 13 Nov 2010
In everyones opinion, is crib goch more exposed...or a feeling of being more exposed....than striding edge?

I've never been up crib goch and I'm looking to, but I'm lead to believe they're very similar?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved
In reply to martinlird:

I think crib goch is significantly more exposed than striding edge, especially the start of the traverse.
 Phil1919 13 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird: I remeber Crib Goch as being a lot more full on.
In reply to martinlird:

Crib Goch is more exposed, dramatic, and better in every way. Also the scramble up to it (taken on the right - which few people do) is very fine, and then of course there's the enjoyable continuation scramble up Crib y Ddysgl.
 bluebealach 13 Nov 2010
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: I've done Striding Edge many many times and in all conditions and Crib Goch just the once and agree with other posters CG is much better - enjoy!
In reply to martinlird: Having done both I would echo Gordon's words only adding that in good winter conditions it makes for a stupendous outing

http://nicklivesey.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/alpine-wales/

Dr Avid 13 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird: Yup Crib Goch much more full on. Wouldnt want to be on either in bad weather, but Striding edge feels escapable along most of its length. Crib Goch you have little option except go forward or back the way you came.....

Furthermore you are up and onto the scrambling much faster on Crib Goch, theres a much longer walk up to Striding Edge, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

louis willson 13 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird:
Crib Goch is considerably more exposed and needs some scrambling skills but unlike Striding Edge there is no easy escape route, it's possible to go down various steep and loose South Facing gullies but there's no real easy off until Bwlch Coch.If you have got that far it's just as easy to carry on. have a good trip anyway..
Louis
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

My god, you had it in good conditions! Superb pix.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Thanks Gordon, t'was one of those days, the best new years day I've ever had.
manboy 13 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird: striding edge practically has a flat path running down the entire length, that you can run the majority of the way, whereas with the crib you are actually scrambling, and in high winds really feel the exposure. Have a cracking time, its so much better than striding edge
In reply to Dr Avid:
> (In reply to martinlird) Yup Crib Goch much more full on. Wouldnt want to be on either in bad weather, but Striding edge feels escapable along most of its length. Crib Goch you have little option except go forward or back the way you came.....
>
> Furthermore you are up and onto the scrambling much faster on Crib Goch, theres a much longer walk up to Striding Edge, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

To be quite frank, the approach to Striding Edge is tedious in the extreme.
Pembo 13 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird:
Grib Goch is more exposed- major issues is it gets hit by very strong winds

Also it is easy to go to far down on the Left hand side. Advice is to stay high
 Joss 13 Nov 2010

Great pics Nick, also loved the blog account of Yr Esgair, a seldom climbed/talked about winter route.
In reply to Joss: Thanks Joss, Yr Esgair was another fantastic day but one I won't be repeating!!!
cliffanger 13 Nov 2010
Don't know if it's just me but striding edge seemed to be over in a flash, crib goch is more like an alpine day out
cliffanger 13 Nov 2010
In reply to cliffanger: Especially if your doing the OSSshoe route
In reply to cliffanger:

Yes, it's deeply disappointing really, isn't it? Long approach, less 'spectacular' than expected ridge, very scruffy finish and a completely non-summit (very large rounded boulder field). It's a reasonably satisfactory day coming back down by Swirral Edge, but compared with the Snowdon Horseshoe it's nowhere. Sharp Edge is marginally better than Striding Edge, but not much. Nasty shiny rock, and again, a dull approach and an even duller finish.
cliffanger 13 Nov 2010
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Very well put !
 Run_Ross_Run 13 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird:

Never done Striding Edge but have completed CG many times and the exposure at the start is mind blowing, really gives you the buzz on the 1st attempt. The pics ive seen of Striding don't seem to be as dramatic as CG and its seems that escape is much easier on Striding.

If you're an experienced mountain walker then you will know what gear and expectation to take with you.

Enjoy your 1st attempt. I F%@king loved it!!

Cheers.

Darren.
 Wainers44 14 Nov 2010
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Not sure if I agree with the "dull approach" comments. True neither are rocky/scrambley etc, but the scene around Scales Tarn and the walking up out of Mosethwaite Comb etc is pretty good on a clear day?

Sharp Edge is the best walk in the Lakes

(not really, but if we can keep the crowds going there, it will keep them off Halls Fell, which really is one of the best!!).
In reply to Wainers44: I usually use Hall's Fell as my descent route, really should go up it sometime!
In reply to Wainers44:

Yes, I love Hall's Fell Ridge, one of my very favourite. And it takes you straight to the summit.
 happy_c 14 Nov 2010
Just out of interest anyone know what the conditions are like on both now? Whether there is snow or not?
In reply to martinlird: Crib Goch is definitely more exposed and needs a bit of extra care, and forethought than Striding Edge. Both are still enjoyable days. I really enjoyed my day on GG, even managing to bypass the crowds and manage to get it pretty much to myself.

Going up in late afternoon, knowing my decent would be in the dark, and well prepared for that meant I had most of the ridge to myself. Managed to get most of the way around the horseshoe before needing to pull out my head torch.

I would hate to have done it with crowds.
 teflonpete 15 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird:

CG is way better and more exposed. First time I did it was in windless, perfect winter conditions last February. Absolutely fantastic.
 Adam Coles 15 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird: did grib goch this weekend. No snow on the first section of the ridge but quite a bit on the second section and up to snowdon summit, not unmanageble in decent boots though with a little care. Snow gives it a great alpine feel. Y gribbin ridge is also clear of snow if doing the horse shoe. Very recommended day out.
robson26 22 Nov 2010
In reply to Adam Coles:
been up striding edge, sharp edge, crib goch and y gribbin, would say thet crib goch is best followed by ygribbin, there are some good riges on ring of steall, a good winters day out
Leebarker 22 Nov 2010
In reply to martinlird: Yep Grib is far more exposed and strenous if you complete the whole length of it
 griggj 31 Dec 2010
 nikinko 31 Dec 2010
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: wow, loks like a great day you had. lovely write up too.
In reply to griggj: Blimey, that was two years ago to the day. Where has the time gone?
In reply to nikinko: Thanks Nikinko, t'was a belter :0)

Brilliant photos, looked a mighty fine day out.
Excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...