UKC

NEW REVIEW: La Sportiva Spantik Mountain Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 25 Nov 2010
Breakfast Alaskan style, 4 kbThe Spantik is no newcomer, and after over four years it still dominates its boot category, says Jon Griffith. There is a newcomer to the market though in the form of the Scarpa 6000. I've been able to compare these two boots close hand as my main climbing partner uses the 6000ers, so if you're in the market for an Alpine winter boot or a sub 6000m Greater Ranges boot then read on...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3238
 JTatts 25 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

One thing I would add is that you can buy an extension bar for the G14s that will make them fit the Spantiks perfectly. I can't remember exactly but I think the bar is under a tenner.
 Ramon Marin 25 Nov 2010
In reply to JTatts:

Great review Jon. I do agree with pretty much all of it. I did climb really technical ice Wi6 and above with them and found the support much easier on my calfs than Nepals. Unfortunately I have far too many boots and I'm selling mine to raise funds for this season.
 Henry Iddon 25 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Sounds good. I'm surprised they fit a Fritschi for skiing as the welt must be smaller than a DIN ski boot, but I guess if your not to aggressive or just skiing they'd be fine. In fact there must come a day when a boot like this is compatible with a Dynafit binding.
 Dane1 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Good review Jon.

Agreed on Dynafit binding...can't believe they haven't done it already.

For those liking a stiff ski boot like fit..the Spantik surely fits that niche. Add a Intuition liner to the Spantik and you have a decent ski boot that climbs well.

Some advantage to the softer cuffed dbl boots like the 6000..for one it will be much easier on your knees long term.
 Alex Buisse 26 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Thanks for a great review, Jon. I find the fact that you managed to ski with them very interesting. I inquired about the possibility of doing exactly that last winter in several gear stores and ski rental places, and everybody was adamant that it was completely impossible. Do you have any more details about which kind of bindings are accepted by the boots?
 Sarah Stirling 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Alex Buisse: Jon is away in Patagonia until the 19th Dec, sorry! I've asked Lyon Equipment for their take on skiing in Spantiks and will let you know.

Cheers,

Sarah
 Matt_b 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Alex Buisse: I got a freeride binding to fit my spantiks. Less than ideal, and certainly would ski downhill with them, but ok for getting around glaciers.

A silvretta binding would fit them much better.
 Jon Griffith 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Sarah Stirling-Assistant Editor: Its raining now. Internet day!

Skiing in any boot is possible, its' just that people dont realise it due to the stiff plastic downhill boots we ue now. I mean just look back 40 years ago to the equipment and you'll see that the boots were softer than Spantiks would be. It's just a question of getting used to what you are using. At first it seemed impossible to ski in them and the fact that everyone, like you say, seems to say thats its dangerous and impossible didnt help the confidence. But after a very short time you get the hang of it no problem.

The spantiks fit the Fritshi bindings ok. sure you dont want to push it too hard but then you shoudnt be when you are wearing these boots anyway as there is no ankle support so you need to be a bit careful.

It will be a while til there is a Dynafit system as the sole would require a metal bar to make it strong enough to take the pins. This means that it would 1. weigh more and 2. have a slightly thicker sole. Neither of which is a good thing for climbing. Scarpa are working on something apparently but it wont be for a while

jon

TobyA 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Jon Griffith:

> It will be a while til there is a Dynafit system as the sole would require a metal bar to make it strong enough to take the pins. This means that it would 1. weigh more and 2. have a slightly thicker sole. Neither of which is a good thing for climbing. Scarpa are working on something apparently but it wont be for a while

Interesting stuff - cheers Jon. Dynafit actually once made a lace up, plastic boot - obviously with the Dynafit inserts - but clearly aimed at climbers. My friend still climbs in a pair. I can't imagine they are that great to climb in, but perhaps no worse than old school climbing boots like Vegas.
 Sarah Stirling 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Jon Griffith: Thanks Jon! S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...