UKC

Compact Super Zoom Camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Burns 02 Dec 2010
Hi all - thinking of investing in new Compact Super Zoom type digital camera and looking for some advice and opinion what to get.

Budget around £200 ish, decent but not particularly knowledgable photographer but keen to get more into this so capacity for manual control - iso, apeture etc would be good, not too worried about video but reasonable here, good quality solid camera.

Narrowed it down to a couple specifics - was fixed (and still quite keen but few things holding me back!) on Lumix DMC-TZ8/10 - probably the TZ8 really as video not a priority and would prefer to keep within £200 ish budget - but been put off atm as these not brill for low light - thinking this is probably important in our lovely climate (keen winter climber in particular). Now been looking at the Samsung HZ35W/WB650 and and objectively thinking that looks good - however put off by flaky gps (not really important function for me but prefer not to have this glitch) and doesn't really appeal to me like the Lumix-es.

Someone help me make up my mind

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/page24.asp
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=427181
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=423059
OP Sam Burns 02 Dec 2010
In reply to Sam Burns:

Now found good price for the TZ10 and thinking that is within budget - still low light unsureness but that less of a niggle than the Samsungs flaky gps.
 Bonkers Dog 02 Dec 2010
In reply to Sam Burns:

Panasonic TZ7. Job done.
OP Sam Burns 03 Dec 2010
In reply to Bonkers Dog:

Why the TZ7? Old model and same reservations with low light performance - now replaced by TZ8/10 think?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this - advice would be really appreciated
 Chris Davids 03 Dec 2010
I can't give any useful input but I'm looking forward to some decent replys as I'm looking to buy my Dad a similar camera/budget.

He has suggested the Sony DSC HX5 (£210) but I'm hesitant since he won't use the GPS or HD viseo recording although it is supposedly good in low light.

Cheers

Chris
OP Sam Burns 04 Dec 2010
In reply to Sam Burns:

Anyone?
 HATTSTER 04 Dec 2010
In reply to Sam Burns: Hi Sam, I bought the tz10 in june, cost me £350 and i think it was worth every penny, If you can get it for nearly 200 snatch it up, the wide angle and zoom really are excellent, I bought mine for the hd video too and thats amazing, virtualy as good as my dads dedicated sony hd camcorder.If your gonna keep the gps on, ide suggest a spare battery too, and you will have to splash out 30 quid on an original pan batt too as theyve chipped the battery and non oem batts just wont work.
 Eagle River 04 Dec 2010
In reply to Sam Burns:

I've got the TZ8 and really happy with it. I've not had it long so can't give you a full review but I've been impressed with the pictures despite being a complete numpty when it comes to cameras.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...