UKC

Cairngorm Mountain Railway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mickg 22 Dec 2010
A few days ago I was in Aviemore and planned to take the train to the top of Cairngorm and walk over towards Ben Macdui. When I tried to buy a return ticket on the mountain railway I was told I could'nt do this if I was planning to walk outside of the ski area at the top, as it was against European legislation. If this is the case, then why is it common practice in the Alps to take ski lifts and then walk from the top?
 DaveHK 22 Dec 2010
In reply to mickg:

Because cairngorm mountain are a bunch of ________________ complete as you see fit.
 peas65 22 Dec 2010
In reply to mickg:

we had same problems last year, seems you can walk in snowboard boots to the top but not in proper kit- figure that out?
 Iain Downie 22 Dec 2010
In reply to mickg:

Have your say:

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/mountain-access-and-conservation

Although it can be seen as an inconvenience, I'm in favour of the existing access arrangements for more than just conservation reasons.

It's been discussed on UKC quite a lot, and I'm sure the threads are still out there.

Iain
 Padraig 22 Dec 2010
In reply to mickg:

The rules are there to seperate the real hill folk fae the f*ckwits (who might stray onto the plateau & die)
I guess you fall into the latter?
 streapadair 22 Dec 2010
In reply to mickg:

Because the Alps are in Switzerland etc and Cairn Gorm is in Scotland.

Any particular reason why you can't walk the 600m ascent from the car park? The Fiacaill a'Choire Chas is a nice way up.
OP mickg 22 Dec 2010
In reply to Padraig: I don't guess, I know from your answer, that you do.
OP mickg 22 Dec 2010
In reply to DaveHK: Thanks Dave, I thought as much.
OP mickg 22 Dec 2010
In reply to streapadair:
> (In reply to mickg)
>
> Because the Alps are in Switzerland etc and Cairn Gorm is in Scotland.
>
> Any particular reason why you can't walk the 600m ascent from the car park? The Fiacaill a'Choire Chas is a nice way up.

No reason other than the amount of time involved at this time of year.

OP mickg 22 Dec 2010
In reply to Iain Downie:
> (In reply to mickg)
>
> Have your say:
>
> http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/mountain-access-and-conservation
>
> Although it can be seen as an inconvenience, I'm in favour of the existing access arrangements for more than just conservation reasons.
>
> It's been discussed on UKC quite a lot, and I'm sure the threads are still out there.

Thanks Iain. Read all of the blurb on the site and, apart from the conservation aspect, still don't understand their reasoning - especially in the winter where erosion or damage to flora must be minimal when covered in hard packed or deep snow. I suppose it must be some form of payback for all the damage caused by the skiers.
>
> Iain

IainMunro 23 Dec 2010
In reply to mickg:

> still don't understand their reasoning - especially in the winter where erosion or damage to flora must be minimal when covered in hard packed or deep snow. I suppose it must be some form of payback for all the damage caused by the skiers.

It seems pretty obvious to me. How do they know you aren't a numpty who's going to wander off over the back, get cold and phone the mountain rescue team out of their beds to come and find you in the Loch Avon basin? They can't allow people who say they are experienced out onto the plateau and turn people away who look inexperienced without then getting accused of discrimination or something daft.

Damage caused by skiers to flora on the plateau is minimal compared to damage caused by boots in summer.

Iain

PS Ben Macdui is a short jaunt from the carpark anyway, an early start would be far more efficient than queueing for the first train at 830.

malky_c 23 Dec 2010
In reply to mickg: I'll not bother offering my opinion again, but the link to the last hot potato thread on this is here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=420944&v=1#x5978898

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...