UKC

Working in Recruitment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juglan 26 Jan 2011
Does anyone?
In reply to Lupine Lacuna:

No they all sit around doing their nails and laughing at CVs!
 PeterM 26 Jan 2011

In my experience, all, except 1 gentleman, are/were ignorant tosspots. especially those that proclaim to be experts in Technical recruitment.
 UKB Shark 26 Jan 2011

Yes.
KevinD 26 Jan 2011
In reply to PeterM:

> In my experience, all, except 1 gentleman, are/were ignorant tosspots. especially those that proclaim to be experts in Technical recruitment.

seconded. Most are effectively telesales staff, there are a few good ones but they seem to be rare eg getting your cv randomly rewritten and looking like a tw*t because they have decided to edit a statement badly and sent it on to the client without mentioning it is far more common than someone who will spend an hour working through the cv with you to improve it but still be accurate.
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: My daughter works in recruitment for a well known management consultancy. She gets to travel a lot. In fact at this moment she in Boston and travels first class although in these hard times they have insisted she go Business Class. It's tough for some. She does not however enjoy the work.

Al
 PeterM 26 Jan 2011
In reply to dissonance:

Yep. I once got a bollocking off some little shite because I refused to let him change my CV when I found out he was going to change the content, and not presentation, grammar, e.t.c Apparently acronyms like PLC and SCADA were not helpful,he had to ask what they meant, so lets just call you a Programmer instead. The cold calling sucks too.
 Rick Ashton 26 Jan 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: It's Hurrendous soul destroying deceitful work
 Jim Fraser 26 Jan 2011
> Does anyone?

No, but I know enough about this to know its often not as easy as it seems. You have to be able to see things from both the client's and the candidate's point of view and be particularly discete in your dealings with both.

It's a business. Everybody has to make a few bob and the difficulties come when one party doesn't quite get it. You then end up as the one in the middle trying to keep the deal on track. If you can get your head round this stuff then maybe it's for you.

JonathanBarnett 26 Jan 2011

I worked at a (very) small recruitment consultancy for 6 months, and many of the above comments ring true.

If you actually have any questions, I'll try and answer them to the best of my ability (I offer very reasonable rates, and a number of easy payment financing plans...)?
 tom290483 26 Jan 2011

yes mate. been at for 3yrs now. get with the right company and the money is good although it is hard work, long hours etc and you will get a lot of sh*t from all angles at times.

i probably have it easier than most as I dont do any of the cold calling stuff, i only deal with my own accounts and know them well enough to keep them happy and the money coming in.
 thin bob 26 Jan 2011
In reply to PeterM:
Agreed. there must be some good ones somewhere...but in 20 years. I've never come across them, from either side!!
 EeeByGum 27 Jan 2011
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:
> (In reply to Lupine Lacuna)
>
> No they all sit around doing their nails and laughing at CVs!

I guess there are different sides to it. All the agents I have had to deal with seem to spend their day harassing my boss.
Mac1982 27 Jan 2011

Been working in it for 3 years. Its not something that you'd want to do forever, but the moneys good (if you're good at it). Its true that there's alot of really bad recruitment consultants/companies, but if you find a decent one, I'm sure it'll be ok.

I work on roles between £60-150K, so that part of its alright, I would imagine the lower end of the scale to be more like pushing paper, and dealing with alot of sh*te.

Go for it if you're considering it - you'll either love it or hate it.(Or like me, put up with it because the money's good)
OP Juglan 27 Jan 2011
Mac, what do you mean by good money?
 Rick Ashton 27 Jan 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: dont do it. Your life will never be worth any amount of money you can earn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...