UKC

Rough cost of opening a climbing shop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
eddie6655 03 Feb 2011
I will soon be leaving my current employment and am looking into starting my own buisness. I have been pondering the idea of opening a rock climbing shop somewhere in the north of England (location undecided as yet). My question is this could anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost to open a average sized climbing shop taking into account rent, stock, wages and general bills? Also would you use it as there are so many people/buisnesses traiding cheeply on the internet these days?
 Richard Hall 03 Feb 2011
In reply to eddie6655: That is quite a vague question, do you mean how much starting capital do you need?

It completely depends on what scale you want to start at.

I opened a climbing shop a couple of years ago and am still running it., I am not going to talk about money or business on here but if you want a chat give me a call at about half 5 this afternoon.

Dick
 simondgee 03 Feb 2011
In reply to eddie6655:
ygm
 Fraser 03 Feb 2011
In reply to eddie6655:

This bit of string is how long? (in other words....more info required!)
 kilner 03 Feb 2011
In reply to Fraser:
You may have difficulty getting stock as some suppliers such as DMM are currently only supporting their exsisting customers by not taking on any new ones.
 HappyTrundler 03 Feb 2011
In reply to eddie6655:

I would think very carefully about opening a shop, there is a lot of competition online where they have very low overheads, little cash tied up in stock, no expensive high street shop rentals, retail trade in every sector is always being undercut by online providers, do your research carefully or it could be an expensive mistake...
 James Oswald 03 Feb 2011
In reply to eddie6655:
Pick Stockport.
James
 Adam Lincoln 03 Feb 2011
In reply to James Oswald:
> (In reply to eddie6655)
> Pick Stockport.
> James

On top of the one at the wall? That would be stupid.
 sutty 03 Feb 2011
In reply to eddie6655:

If you have done no research into the costs of running a shop of any sort before planning to do it, don't.

You first need to find somewhere that has climbing near, no competition locally and then be prepared to work 7 days a week for sod all for a year or two to maybe start making some money.

Don't forget, people do not NEED gear. They may want it but it is not a need.

Now find a niche market that nobody else is doing and you could be in with a chance.

Forget you are a climber, you will become a shopkeeper with some knowlege of some of the gear, and unable to carry on your hobby unless rich
 The Ivanator 03 Feb 2011
In reply to eddie6655: £52.14 is the definitive answer.
eddie6655 05 Feb 2011
In reply to eddie6655: Thanks for the replys. Im going to have to seriously think about this. I have done the calculations for myself many times and did not like the outcome. You lot have confirmed my fears. Sorry i can't reply to the emails as i am on a work computer and unable to log on to email sites from this work machine. (im in afghanistan so wont be able to reply for a few months)
 andrusht84 05 Feb 2011
In reply to James Oswald: Why, Alpenstock is awesome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...