UKC

Yet another rucksack question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Batt 27 Feb 2011
I'm after advice on a new pack, about 40l suitable for scottish winter and ski mountaineering, ie I would like side straps good enough to hold skis and ice axe loops but otherwise the less frills the better.

I currently have a Macpac pursuit 40 and I love it except that the back is too floppy without the aluminium frame in it but it hurts my shoulders and isn't helmet compatible with the frame in it. Also, the shoulder straps slip alot with a rack and rope on board.

Has anyone got any experience of the following packs:
Black Diamond packs like the sphynx
The Grivel Alpine 35/45 packs (do they come up big/small?)
The Lowe alpine Alpine attack ND
The Berghaus Talus 45
Any Aiguille packs - I don't know much about these but they look well built

Or any other suggestions? Not Osprey and not old style pod please. I like the new podsacs but a mate of mine has one that got holes in it the moment it looked at a rock so I'm put off by that.

Ramble over. Thanks

Rach
 timbers 27 Feb 2011
In reply to hereanthere:

If you want a simple, functional, bombproof pack, still made to extremely high standards (in the UK) then you can't go wrong with Aiguille. Got two, both solid. Used for hauling rock/winter gear about over the last three years, still no signs of wear. Brilliant. A lot of outdoor ed centres use them, says it all really.
ice.solo 27 Feb 2011
In reply to hereanthere:

some of the new BD packs are lookin good. been good in the past and theyve put some serious r&d in and streamlined designs somewhat.
ive only prodded at some at a trade show so cant really say how they feel loaded tho.

friend uses the grivel 35. not light, but lots of doo-dads. tough.

if wearability is a big deal then the MHW packs are worth a look. diretissima, dihedral etc.

sadly very few packs have compression straps long enough i feel. its not just about getting the mats n junk on, but having enough strap to yank on with gloves.
i usually end up extending mine.
 bluesix 28 Feb 2011
In reply to hereanthere:

I’d recommend Aiguille, very well made and if you are prepared to wait a few weeks they will make a rucksack to your requirements so you don’t have to have ice ace loops and wand pockets if you don’t want them.
 TobyA 28 Feb 2011
In reply to hereanthere: Perhaps your friend is a bit cavalier with his PODsac? Mine http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2843 is now a year old and no problems - looks like new still. I'm careful to wrap my crampons before putting them in as there are thicker pack materials, but it all depends on how heavy or light you want the sack to be. It's back is very supportive if you want it to be. Worked perfectly for ski touring and ice climbing.

My 'Scottish pack' is made of lighter nylon than the Podsac and was used regularly for ten years - particularly whilst I lived in Glasgow - and now still gets occasional use 19 years after I bought it! So I think lighter materials last fine.
OP Batt 28 Feb 2011
In reply to TobyA:

She!! It's first proper outing was to skye and it had a hole in it after the first day and all it had done was walk in and sit at the bottom of the crag. It now has several small holes in it after less than a years use and it's not been used with crampons. I might have another look though. I'm a bit suspiscious of all the jazzy colours of newer packs, looks like they're trying to distract you from looking at the build quality in favour of a funky colour. But then maybe I'm just suspiscious.....!!

Thanks for the advice.

Rach
 Gazlynn 28 Feb 2011
In reply to hereanthere:

I replaced my Deuter Guide that I had for years this winter with a BD Sphynx and I really like the BD.
It's a tough sack and just about the right size for me. The only grip I got is that it isn't as sturdy when fully loaded and with a rope just under the lid, you have to keep on adjusting the shoulder straps to keep the sack tight to your back.
Good luck

G
 TobyA 28 Feb 2011
In reply to hereanthere: Did she think about asking PODsacs if they considered the damager her fault or whether possibly there was something wrong with the material? Skye is very rough rock and perhaps she was just unlucky - but I would also be annoyed if a brand new pack got a hole in it. I have an old Lowe pack that is made out some sort of cordura like material. The thing is indestructible, but it does make the whole pack heavier consider that it is a very simple design.

And if you point out my awful sexist assumptions (sorry!) I will have to point out your suspicious spelling in revenge!
OP Batt 28 Feb 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Ahhh, the bad spelling comes from trying to do house work, drink tea and post on here all in one
 odox 28 Feb 2011
In reply to Gazlynn:
Another vote for the Pod Alpine. I've actually got the 50 version, it packs down really small, very comfortable, light and the roll top lid is fantastic.

Downsides are I find the strap holders a little fiddly (just take them off if they bother you).. that's about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...