UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: The Cassin Piu 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 04 Mar 2011
Cassin Piu 2 #1, 3 kbThe Piu 2 has a similar design to the Piu, with the addition of a second karabiner hole to make lowering a second who is weighting the rope easier. Simply clip a karabiner in and use it as a lever to gradually release tension. The teeth have been optimized for a wide range of rope diameters so climbers can use the same device whether they are rapping fat single lines or catching falls on skinny twin ropes....

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3201
 James_D 04 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

looks like a petzl reverso to me?
 Wile E. Coyote 04 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: How many times can the same device be reinvented? I just don't get it?

What makes this particular product stand out in comparison to all the other ones that are very similar in design?
 jimtitt 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Wile E. Coyote:
Two things stand out- £16 as against £25ish and "The teeth have been optimized for a wide range of rope diameters" when the specs are 10-11mm. The competition can handle 9´s.

The diagonal cable (which is a work-round Petzl´s patent) is not nescessarily the best idea ever in practice.

Jim
 Wee Davie 04 Mar 2011
In reply to jimtitt:

Cables fail over time too. Maybe that's a 'designed-in' life limiter so you have to buyanother one in a few years- like the BD ATC.
 Lord_ash2000 05 Mar 2011
In reply to James_D: Yes, just looks like a reverso knock off. I don't see the point. The paint/metal does not look very smooth either.
 Michael Ryan 05 Mar 2011
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
> (In reply to James_D) Yes, just looks like a reverso knock off.

And the Reverso was a knock off of what? I think if you look deeper you will find that the Reverso has an interesting history and that much of the design of the gear we use is an evolution by an incestuous bunch of designers and companies. There is some true innovation without a doubt.

Go round any outdoor trade show or look at a number of gear catalogues you will find that that most climbing companies now produce a whole range of gear: they have a rope, a harness, nuts, bealy device, via ferrati set, cams, shoes - it's becoming rare to find say a rope company that just does ropes. And you will find gear, belay devices, nuts etc with a similar design....sometimes made in the same factory but with a different brand name stamped on them.
 Lord_ash2000 05 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Lord_ash2000)
> [...]
>
> And the Reverso was a knock off of what?

Well I'm no expert but the current reverso was an upgrade / advancement on earlier locking ATC style devices. It had a new design and features like the little hole at the front to stick a krab in to unlock it. This does not seem to be an advance its just basicly copied whats already there.

Not saying this is no good, I've not used one. Looking at the design I'm sure it works fine and if its cheaper then all the better. Just agreeing with someone that it looks very much the same as a reverso.
 CENSORED 07 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> And the Reverso was a knock off of what? I think if you look deeper you will find that the Reverso has an interesting history and that much of the design of the gear we use is an evolution by an incestuous bunch of designers and companies. There is some true innovation without a doubt.

I've always said that R&D stands for rip-off & duplicate!
 Reach>Talent 07 Mar 2011
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
Well I'm no expert but the current reverso was an upgrade / advancement on earlier locking ATC style devices. It had a new design and features like the little hole at the front to stick a krab in to unlock it. This does not seem to be an advance its just basicly copied whats already there.

Doesn't the Black Diamond ATC Guide pre-date the latest incarnation of the Reverso?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...