UKC

Trad climbing near Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PebblePusher 21 Mar 2011
Good Afternoon All!

I am going to Machester with the misses this weekend but would still like to get outdoors for some trad action at some point. Does anyone have a suggestion for where I should go, it looks like quarries are the only realistic options in terms of relative proximaty to Manc centre. Does anyone know which will be in OK(ish) condition this time of year as I hear it can all be a bit green?

I have been looking at Hobson Moor and Dovestones this morning but having never been in the area (to climb) before was wondering if there was any local knowledge out there to help!

Thanks in advance.
Chris
 Eagle River 21 Mar 2011
In reply to PebblePusher:

Wilton 3 has good routes at the grade on your profile (if it's up to date). Located a bit North of Bolton, maybe 30mins from Manchester?
 Blue Straggler 21 Mar 2011

Shining Clough about 35-40 mins drive but maybe a bit of a slog up a steep hill to get to the climbs
OP PebblePusher 21 Mar 2011
In reply to Eagle River:

Wilton is somewhere I have looked at but noticed someone said it was very Green on here at some point last week, have you been recently? Worth the gamble?
 kev82 21 Mar 2011

Was at Rob's rocks near Dovestones a few weeks ago and conditions were great. Everything else in the valley looked shady, wet and green though.

Might be worth considering Castle Naze. Haven't been there recently, but have been there in horrible weather, and the rock didn't seem too bad. Certainly climbable.
 ste_d 21 Mar 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: bits of standing stones might be ok if the weather holds...
 Eagle River 21 Mar 2011

I've not been myself recently so can't comment. Bits of it don't take much drainage though, such as the shivers arete bit, and whilst it's early-season it's been quite dry around here recently.
 edinburgh_man 21 Mar 2011

Anglezarke Quarry has good routes between VS and E5. Best routes are in the E2 - E3 range. The back wall is always clean and sees enough traffic not to be green. It's North of Bolton, 25-30mins from Manchester.

Cheers
 insert 21 Mar 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Hi there the best climbing around manchester has to be the wilton quarries but there is more than just that for example running hill pits, castle naze and many more. What I surguest is that you get the lancs guide and poss the kinder guide because they have proberly all the climbing venues near manchester if not them two guides then rockfax's western grit which is a combination of the two guides
 tom290483 21 Mar 2011

hobson moor isnt a bad shout, easy to get too from the city centre.

up around dovestones, robs rocks stay clean and has some decent little climbs but is open to the elements and a 40min walk uphill. aldermans is also another very good option in your grade range but again on top of a hill (15ish min walk) so open to wind/rain.

i went for a look into wilton 3 a couple of weeks ago and it was very green and minging.
 Tall Clare 21 Mar 2011

I'd echo the recommendations for Castle Naze at your grade.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Mar 2011

Some strange suggestions on this thread, much of Wilton (Prow excepted) will most likely be disgusting as will Dovestones. Standing Stones if OK if it is warm and windless, but it is high and draughty. Alderman and Rob's Rocks may be OK though they are pretty limited.
Hobson Moor, Castle Naze, New Mills (steep) and Denham are probably your best bets. Pex Hill for bouldering and Widgather are two other possibles.

Chris
 Leo Woodfelder 21 Mar 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Chris is bang on the money there!
 alj 21 Mar 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to PebblePusher)
>
> I'd echo the recommendations for Castle Naze at your grade.

Worth noting that Castle Naze is a good 45 mins - 1 hour drive from Manchester, depending on what side of Manchester you are. But it's a lovely crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...