UKC

Sicily - what to do when it rains on your climbing trip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skippyridgway 22 Mar 2011
Just returned from an excellent trip to San Vito lo Capo, Sicily - lovely climbing - weather turned a bit crap but checked out a nice 14mile run to do in the nature reserve nearby - I've written the route up on our website if anyone is interested (see link below - I still need to add the map of the route but I'm in Norway at the moment so havent had a chance to add this to the webpage yet...).

Cheers, Sarah

http://www.runsnowdonia.co.uk/Free-Running/Route-Cards.aspx?run=17&loca...
 Bulls Crack 22 Mar 2011
In reply to skippyridgway:

There's also all of the amazing stuff in Sicily to see - volcanoes, truly magnificent ruins and the utterly astounding Monreal Abbey with its mosaics - awesome in the true meaning of the word. All this and the sometimes quite shocking third world feel and extant bomb damage from ww2 - and the limestone hills are nice too!
 dave frost 22 Mar 2011
In reply to skippyridgway: nice write up, looks like a greatvplace, was feb good temperature for climbing / running?

Cheers.
Dave
OP skippyridgway 23 Mar 2011
In reply to dave frost: Hi Dave - Feb is probably a bit cold and unsettled with strong winds and very heavy rain (almost got cut off by a flash flood when trying to return to San Vito after checking out the reserve around Monte Cofano which required a fairly long dirt-road drive in). However, we did get 4 out of the 7 days with weather suitable for climbing (one of which we were in singlets for half the day - the other days puffy jackets, beanies and gloves!). For running it was ideal (i prefer running in cold weather). Was suprised on the day we flew out - got up before breakfast and did a run up to the ~500m high peak that looms over the city and got hailed then snowed on!
 Simon Caldwell 23 Mar 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Unfortunately the volcanoes are a good day's drive from the climbing areas of the north west!
 Alan Rubin 23 Mar 2011
In reply to skippyridgway: We also had some bad weather in San Vito but since we had transport we had no trouble finding things to do. In particular the ruins and amphitheater at Segesta and the town of Erice were spectacualr and not too far, and, going in the other direction, there is surely plenty to do and see in Palermo.
 Bulls Crack 23 Mar 2011
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> Unfortunately the volcanoes are a good day's drive from the climbing areas of the north west!

Worth it though - you get to see bubbling fumeroles etc - it was erupting when I was there mind!
 Bulls Crack 23 Mar 2011
In reply to Alan Rubin:
n, there is surely plenty to do and see in Palermo.

Not a great deal actually - Cefalu is nice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...