UKC

Tendon ambition 8.5mm 60m advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aalper 25 Mar 2011
Hi,

I can get a pair of these ropes for £160. However, these are the standard treated ropes which gives water repellency according to the website. I am intending to use them in winter and trad climbing.

Does anyone have any experience with these ropes? Are you aware of any other deals around this price range?

thanks,

Alper
OP aalper 29 Mar 2011
In reply to aalper:

What about Beal Cobra 2 dry cover 60m pair for £185? Does the golden dry really makes a difference? Will the dry cover be sufficient for winter climbing?

Cheers,
 Monk 29 Mar 2011
In reply to aalper:

If you are using them in winter, then the dry treatment will be well worth it. I reckon the Beals are a decent buy at that price.
 iforwms 29 Mar 2011
In reply to aalper: Just spotted them for £175 on V12...
 The Grist 29 Mar 2011
In reply to aalper: I have found the golden dry to be excellent. I have just bought a couple of new ones for £220 from Urban Rock. My last pair lasted about 6 years of light winter use and moderate summer use before they started to freeze in winter.

My mate had a dry treated rope and it was rubbis., It froze at the end of the first season. I think it is worth paying more for golden dry or the top end dry treatment if you are intending to use the rope on snow / ice.
 odox 29 Mar 2011
In reply to aalper: Tendon ropes are really nice, but you want the full treatment for winter. The standard treatment isn't a fully dry core and won't really cut it.
OP aalper 29 Mar 2011
In reply to aalper: Thanks for all the answers. Now the question is should I get a good dry treated rope like beal golden dry and use it both in summer and winter or should I get the tendons for summer and good dry treated ropes for winter and keep them for only winter?

Would you go for beal ice line golden treated or edelrid kestrel?
 Raskolnik 31 Mar 2011
In reply to aalper:
Where were you getting these for £160 from? The cheapest I can find is £185 on Rock and Run..
 Eciton 31 Mar 2011
In reply to aalper:

These are the ropes I use for trad and alpine rock climbing and they are great. Great handling and great durability. Mine are standard treatment but you can buy them with special dry treatment that tendon as to offer (you'll probably have to pay more for that).

I do not do winter climbing, so cannot comment on that.
OP aalper 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Raskolnik: Tiso store in Dundee is having a special discount night on 5th of April. The Tendon standard treated ropes will be £160. The ones on rock&run may be the protect shield treatment as it says it has all this teflon nanotechnology treatment which I guess doesn't come in standard treatment.
OP aalper 12 Apr 2011
In reply to aalper: At the end I bought the Tendon Ambition ropes from Tiso for £160 during a special discount day. However, on the booklet I realised that the complete shield protection was ticked, which is the highest level of protection. So I contacted Tendon and asked them if they can check which treatment the rope has and I gave them the barcode. It seems that it has Protect Shield which is a level higher than the basic treatment according to Tendon's records. I guess for the price it's a good deal.

Thanks again for all the replies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...