UKC

Postgrad MA funding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hans 23 Apr 2011
Hi there,

OK, so I've got an offer to study for an MA on the condition that I can fund it. Has anybody got any wisdom/past experience on raising money for academic courses? I'd just like some advice.

Much obliged,

James.
 jonny taylor 23 Apr 2011
In reply to jamesdavidson:

I think it depends on your subject, which you haven't said. However I'd say the usual sources of funding were:
- Research council funding
- University bursaries
- Sponsored by future employer
- Self funded from savings or bank loan.

Obviously I know nothing of your situation, but on the basis of your one sentence I would interpret that as they will take you on if you stump up the money yourself, if they haven't specifically suggested funding sources for you. You could make further enquiries with your university though. If you have a future job lined up then you ~might~ be able to persuade that firm to help fund the course if you could convince them it would benefit them.
 adstapleton 24 Apr 2011
In reply to jamesdavidson: I got a post grad professional studies loan from HSBC to do my MSc in theoretical physics, about five or six years ago. Basically borrowed thirteen point five g's for a one year course at imperial college London, fees were three grand. I also worked weekends.

You basically don't start repaying for about 18 months after the course finishes. When I finished my course I started a PhD and had plent of money despite the three hundred pound a month repayments.

After three years of PhD I got a job with rolls-Royce and they repaid the remaining three grand of loan debt.

That would be how normal people fund a post graduate masters degree.

Abnormal people have rich benefactors...
 Fluvial 24 Apr 2011

What subject?
 Leo Woodfelder 24 Apr 2011
In reply to jamesdavidson: PCDL or Professional career development loan can be another source of funding. Just google it!
 Fluvial 24 Apr 2011

I am only asking what subject on the basis that if it's geography there are literally dozens of perspective places to ask for funding
OP Hans 24 Apr 2011
In reply to jamesdavidson: Thanks for the information, it confirms what little knowledge I've gathered already. As to the subject, it's History. I've already asked for an information pack about the career development loan, but for obvious reasons do not particularly wish to saddle myself with more debt. I'm currently researching to see if there are any small grants available to me from smaller organisations, but it is something that will clearly take time.

Why is Geography so well funded? I definitely wish I'd studied it instead of History at times...

Cheers for the advice, it is all useful
James
Removed User 24 Apr 2011
In reply to jamesdavidson: I did Art History but funded it myself and worked part time.
 Conor1 25 Apr 2011
Very little funding in the form of grants for arts degrees - let's face it, who needs 'em? Universities themselves are the biggest funders in this area.
 TobyA 25 Apr 2011
In reply to jamesdavidson: I think there isn't much funding for MAs, most people pay themselves (or their parents' do if they are lucky!). I was counted as a mature student when I did mine, and got some reduction because I hadn't earnt much in my job before that. Worth checking with the dept. to see if they have something like that - but less and less likely these days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...