UKC

Best exercise for a groin strain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arcticboy 09 May 2011
Twice in the last week while climbing I've felt a pull at the top of my right thigh, then stupidly messing around with the bairns in the garden on saturday properly pulled the muscle right up next to my <ahem> gentleman's area, causing some swelling, been icing it and taking vitamin I, any experts out there advise on the best exercise to loosen it up?
 Leo Woodfelder 09 May 2011
In reply to Arcticboy: I have the same issue, I strained it about 5 weeks ago. I have probably exacerbated it by climbing every weekend since. I have been taking it easy whilst climbing though, but doesn't seem to be helping. Should I just rest it for a few weeks or is there a way I can stretch it off?
 mariechen 09 May 2011
What, no interesting replies yet?!

(sorry, nothing to contribute, hope you two get better soon)
 rossowen 09 May 2011
In reply to Arcticboy: I went to a physio when I did mine who very kindly isolated the muscle are re-tore the wound so it would heal up properly.

One thing he did say though is if you sit on the floor with the bottom your feet flat against each other, knees apart and put your elbows on your knees, then push your knees down using your elbows it stretches the groin muscles to loosen them up a bit.
 Morgan Woods 09 May 2011
In reply to Arcticboy:

can your fingers still type :p

i did something similar andf found this via google:

http://www.averonleisurecentre.co.uk/web%20documents/Lower%20Body/5%20Groin...

the squats seem most helpful.
 antdav 09 May 2011
That area is one which rarely gets used at full stretch unless you do some targeted exercises or martial arts, gymnastics etc. Streching it by sitting down, soles of feet together and push down on inside of knees. In same position lift and lower knees so they are like flapping wings but dont go too extreme.

Once the injury is healed start with some cicular kicks (prob best to keep the knee bent though as it may pull a hamstring). Keeping body facing the same way at all times bring knee up as if you were going for the crown jewels, out to your side, then down then revesrse it back to the start. Keep it controlled at first but you should be able to speed up and turn it into a more circluar rather than square motion. That should get the muscles used to be used in a stretched position.
 d_b 09 May 2011
In reply to Arcticboy:

I wouldn't recommend this, but running down Ben Lomond while drunk seemed to work for me a few years ago.
OP Arcticboy 09 May 2011
In reply to davidbeynon:

Ben Lomond? Sounds like the best idea so far ;0)

Thanks all, for your responses, the soles together stretch sounds good, will give it a go!!
 rwong9 09 May 2011
In reply to Arcticboy: I had a groin strain for 6 months which just wouldnt heal, until I tried this strech. Within about 2 days it was gone. Mind you, my strain was only mild, but sure was long lasting!
OP Arcticboy 10 May 2011
In reply to Arcticboy:

Blimey! Cracking bruise forming!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...