UKC

Showing off campusing with no shoes and no tshirt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mat123 30 May 2011
Say I’m struggling on some V4 at the local bouldering wall. To anyone watching me it’s quite clear that the problem is right at my limit.

In between my attempts, a guy walks up wearing no t-shirt and no shoes, and campuses up the problem.

He walks off with a smug look on his face, then a few minutes later comes back and does it again. It happens several times, each time after I just nearly got the route, but fell off eventually. The venue is nearly empty so if he really, really wanted to practice his campus skills, he could choose from several dozen other problems which I’m not trying.

I guess many people will agree that it’s not cool to behave like that, but obviously there must be people here who have behaved in such way in the past and therefore feel that there was nothing wrong about it. Can you please convince me that you are not just frustrated as*holes with ego problems?
 mark s 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123: stand on his toes
 ozbaker 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:
Did the accused bother to make conversation?
mat123 30 May 2011
In reply to ozbaker: nope
 tlm 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:
What does it matter to you what someone else does? It won't make you any better or worse a person? Why do you care?
 cus123 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:
climbing attracts a lot these types! The guy probably hangs about the indoor wall all the time and can't climb for toffee outdoors! Sometimes known as awesome walls syndrome!
 stonemaster 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123: Maybe that's the only route he can send, chill..
 Neil Conway 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:
Maybe he fancies you
ice.solo 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:

as it goes i am a frustrated asshole with ego issues...

...but i wouldnt do THAT.

(secretly tell everyone hes a drytooler and watch him get torn to pieces in the carpark)
 stonemaster 30 May 2011
In reply to ice.solo: heheh, bit excessive, n'est ce pas?
 franksnb 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123: backs to the wall
 TonyB 30 May 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to mat123) Maybe that's the only route he can send, chill..

This really could be true. Foot free climbing is a great way to train lock off strength but very few problems lend themselves to it (and often these are not the easiest ones). You really could be on the only one he could campus. Were you on a steep panel, with relatively good holds but without big sideways hand movements? Also the fact he did it every few mins suggests he could have been training intervals. If this scenario is true, all he really did was not wear a shirt or explain what he was doing.

In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to mat123)
> What does it matter to you what someone else does?

If you believe this, why do we have a police force? And a government?
 stonemaster 30 May 2011
In reply to franksnb:
> (In reply to mat123) backs to the wall

That's not your soap on the shower room floor, is that?....
 JH74 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:

When I was in Thailand redpointing a 7b or + and taking repeated big whippers from the crux some local guy comes along asks if he can use my draws (to which I said yes of course) and cruises it in about 5 minutes!

It didn't bother me and we all had a laugh about it making such quips as 'well, there's always someone better than you' but then a local instructor came along and whispered 'he's done that route over a hundred times - ask him to onsight a 6b+'. Appparently he was told someone was on 'his' route and decided to come down and show me wassup!

Either way I don't see it as a problem and it didn't bother me. I guess I thought he was a bit of a nob but whatever. If it bugs you why not tell the guy to f~ck off? Either that or use it as inspiration and get training even harder...
 ozbaker 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:
Lets face it, alot of climbers are completley socialy retarded.
It may not have even crossed his mind how his actions made you feel.

Next time try speaking to him, then youll find out if hes a nob or just a wad in training.
 Mick Ward 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:

The guy's a nob. But, as long as you're thinking about him, then he's still 'winning'.

So forget about him.

Mick
 ozbaker 30 May 2011
In reply to Mick Ward:
In all fairness, good point.
 tlm 30 May 2011
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

>> What does it matter to you what someone else does?

> If you believe this, why do we have a police force? And a government?

If I believe what? I didn't state an opinion, I asked a question!

I wanted to know why he minded. If the guy WAS showing off, then so what - it won't make the OP any worse or better a climber?

In reply to tlm:

I assumed it was meant in as more conversational rhetoric than a genuine question. So, you're telling my you're genuinely confused as to why it can "matter what someone else does"? If everyone shared your confusion, the world would be a terrible place!

Especially as far as the ill experienced go, egos knock the confidence of some, they make others afraid to try. It's not about making the climber worse, or better, for this is not why we climb. It's about damaging the enjoyment of an experience for another. This clearly happened to the OP, that in itself is reason enough for the rest of us to care.
 thin bob 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:
say to him* " Oi mate: your cock's hardly showing" and then ask him what an integer is.
then wander off reflecting on how he can do monkey, but you can do human

* Assuming it has a him. If it was a her, pls send address of wall
 tlm 30 May 2011
> I assumed it was meant in as more conversational rhetoric than a genuine question. So, you're telling my you're genuinely confused as to why it can "matter what someone else does"? If everyone shared your confusion, the world would be a terrible place!

I'm not confused. I'm asking the OP for his own reason (I could think of a whole host of reasons that people might possibly have!)

> Especially as far as the ill experienced go, egos knock the confidence of some, they make others afraid to try. It's not about making the climber worse, or better, for this is not why we climb. It's about damaging the enjoyment of an experience for another. This clearly happened to the OP, that in itself is reason enough for the rest of us to care.

I do care, or I wouldn't have posted. Offering advice without asking any further questions means making a load of assumptions. There will always be people who climb better than you (apart from the one person who is the best in the world!). If a better climber puts you off climbing, rather than inspiring you to climb better, then the place to look for the answers is inside yourself, rather than worrying about what the other person did or didn't do, however much of a tw*t they were or weren't.

If you see what I mean?

In reply to tlm:

Ok, with respect, I'd suggest you were incredibly unclear if you're claiming ambiguity for the misunderstanding. Had you initially posted what you just posted, perhaps you'd have had more replies ...

It shouldn't be down to the person to 'look for the answers' inside themselves. Depending on level of experience and type of personality it will affect some different to others. I wouldn't affect me, or you, but a beginner with little confidence..... anyway, my point, it should be about the other party not putting another climber in that position in the first place.
 tlm 30 May 2011
> It shouldn't be down to the person to 'look for the answers' inside themselves.

Why not? We don't know what the topless boulder was or wasn't intending. They may have been a nob, trying to put someone down. They may simply have been oblivious to the OP and just been doing interval training. How the OP perceived them IS important to the OP, because if they interpret other people's behaviour in ways that make them feel bad, then this makes them feel horrible, where they might not need to have felt bad.

Or, of course, they could just choose to see it as someone trying to belittle them and come on here for tea and sympathy.

After all - you yourself have demonstrated nicely what a difference the audiences perception makes.
In reply to tlm:

Topless bouldering on an indoor wall without asking if someone has finished is rude no matter which way you look at it. Your initial post was not a case of interpretation, i gave you the benefit of the doubt, but it was useless and not constructive at all as well as lacking any meaning or thought.

I've expressed my mindset. Courtesy and modesty cost nothing. If you feel otherwise, then thats your call, but I for one don't want a load of rude wall climbers at the crags.

There is nothing left to say on this as far as I'm concerned. And the weather has cleared up, so I'm off to the crag.
 thin bob 30 May 2011
In reply to tlm: "The only person that can make you feel bad about yourself, *is* yourself"
Still reckon the original geezer was a nobber. Then again I don't climb hard enough to get me kit off. i have homeostasis
 tlm 30 May 2011
> Topless bouldering on an indoor wall without asking if someone has finished is rude no matter which way you look at it.

Maybe to you. I don't see being topless as being rude or not rude. As to asking if people have finished, if they come off the problem and move away from it, then I would assume that they had finished and wouldn't ask them. It isn't unusual for someone to get onto a problem and have a go inbetween another person having a go themselves. I would see it as rude if someone stepped in while you were actively looking at the problem, just about to start it. I have no idea which one applies in the original situation.

> Your initial post was not a case of interpretation, i gave you the benefit of the doubt, but it was useless and not constructive at all as well as lacking any meaning or thought.

See - that is how YOU see it. It isn't how I see it. A classic case of perception being in the eyes of the beholder. You take it that I am being agressive because I have put forward a different point of view (I think?).

> I've expressed my mindset. Courtesy and modesty cost nothing. If you feel otherwise, then thats your call, but I for one don't want a load of rude wall climbers at the crags.

I agree about courtesy. However, what does modesty have to do with politeness? If someone is a good climber, then why should they hide their light under a bushel? I would see a good climber as inspirational. Or should we all pretend to be a bit crap in order to keep everything at a comfortable level of mediocrity, just in case someone gets upset?

> There is nothing left to say on this as far as I'm concerned. And the weather has cleared up, so I'm off to the crag.

Have a lovely time!

biscuit 30 May 2011
In reply to tlm + a longleat boulderer:

quality UKC posting that passed what would have otherwise been a boring few minutes.

Many thanks.

LuLuFletch 30 May 2011
Was his name Squiff?
 tim000 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123: next time just thank him for not putting his smelly feet on the holds
 lazybones 30 May 2011
In reply to biscuit: agreed. please keep up the good work.
In reply to mat123: i'll bet he can't climb harder than VS outside if he climbs outside at all!
In reply to mat123:

Was this at The Arch at London Bridge last week?

If not, I witnessed almost exactly the same thing and thought the chap was a right tool.

RPG
 tom290483 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123:

interesting topic!

there is a guy down the local wall who always turns up whilst i'm attempting the latest dyno testpiece. jumps on it, nails it, then walks off and rejoins his mates. hes done it on 3 seperate occasions now on different problems.

never makes conversation and cant climb anything else of note. i think hes just good at jumping!

seems a bit c*ntish to me.
 Dave Ing 30 May 2011
In reply to biscuit:
I'm torn between "interesting" and "way to make it all about you"

I'm just about beyond making a sarcastic post comparing tim and alb's near hijacking of this thread to discuss semantics and compare online penis length as a metaphor for what happened at the wall! Oh no wait I wasn't ...
 adstapleton 30 May 2011
In reply to mat123: What does 'campusing' mean?
ice.solo 31 May 2011
In reply to mat123:

how would responses to this tale change if the last sentence of the op read:

'and then i realized it was ben moon!'?
 adstapleton 31 May 2011
In reply to ice.solo: Who's Ben Moon?
ice.solo 31 May 2011
In reply to adstapleton:

ok, alex honnold.
 Mick Ward 31 May 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

I can assure you that my response would be exactly the same. But do top performers carry on in such a pathetically nobbish manner? Not in my experience. This is boringly typical wannabe behaviour.

Mick
 billybones 31 May 2011
In reply to adstapleton: Climbing using only your hands, no footwork.
 adstapleton 31 May 2011
In reply to ice.solo: Ah yes, I am aware of his works.
 adstapleton 31 May 2011
In reply to billybones: You're allowed to use your feet?! Well that'll make things much easier!
 quiffhanger 31 May 2011
In reply to mat123: Agree he sounds like a bit of a nob from the way you describe it but it is possible to misjudge these situations. For instance - when doing structured training, I may have a sequence of problems I'm trying to do with defined rests and it can be quite hard to not appear a little arrogant when my next problem (which I probably have wired) happens to be something another person/group is working. At a small busy wall and when trying to stick to timed rests, you cant always simply pick another problem and, if your confident you'll be done quickly, I even think a little queue jumping is acceptable.

Maybe you situation was very different, just trying to hi-light that their could be another interpretation of the situation. Maybe he could've been politer & friendlier but not saying anything can simply be shyness.

-ross

PS I sometimes don't wear a t-shirt either. My wall is v. warm and, although it sounds ridiculous, as I climb a lot, if really saves me washing silly numbers of t-shirts!
 terryturbojr 31 May 2011
In reply to quiffhanger:

Was thinking the same thing. Whilst I am not at the heady heights of V4 campusing I do go to the gym with a plan sometimes and I wouldn't not perform part of that plan because someone was struggling on the problem I'd planned to do at that point in the session.
Ardverikie 31 May 2011
In reply to mat123:

Is this some obscure UKC in-joke? The gist of the OP is " I went to a bouldering wall & someone was training . They then politely took turns with me on a problem, as is normal etiquette, but I want to whinge anyway." & somehoe the polite trainer is being called names.
 RossKirtley 31 May 2011
In reply to mat123: Just because you can't do what he's doing you feel like he's pissed on your chips. Its your ego that's in question pal.
 billybones 31 May 2011
In reply to terryturbojr: I do this. Although more often than not, I'll give the struggling person in question some tips, and help them work it.
One of the perks of being a climber, 99% of people are friendly as hell.
Bola 04 Jun 2011
In reply to mat123:

This is the most hilarious thing that I've seen all day!!! A friend at the Arch told me about this thread so I thought I'd have a look.

I'm the topless, shoeless guy who was campussing the problem you were on. I can tell that you're highly distressed by the whole experience, so I thought I'd better reply so that you don't end updoing anything silly.

To answer the general queries highlighted;

Firstly, yes, I was training. Hence the structured periods between goes. I find campussing problems more interesting and more effective than pulling on uniform wooden rungs. Not that I expect you to take any notice of me, but I was also campussing several other problems that day.

Secondly, I don't know if you've noticed, but it's been unseasonably warm of late, and I really was hot (what with all the training) so I took my top off. Not the world's worst crime considering a significant number of other people there had their tops off too.

Thirdly, I was campussing!! Why would I have my shoes on for that?

Fourthly, no I didn't talk to you, but you didn't talk to me either, so who exactly is at fault there? Philosophers could spend years working that one out.

Finally, if you really think I was doing this to upset you then you need a reality check. You're really not that important to me.

If there's anything else you want cleared up, please come and find me at the Arch. I'm there a lot.

To the rest of you, who, from the anonymity and safety of your computer screens, have accused me of having a large/small ego, having a micro penis, of being unable to transfer my abilities outdoors, of being a tool etc. etc. I also encourage you to come and speak to me in person. But that's unlikely because you are clearly rather pathetic individuals.

Oh yes, and I do know (without the aid of Google) what an integer is. Sorry.

(I expect many more scathing replies to this. That's what people do these days isn't it? The more the better. Like I said. Absolutely hilarious!!)

thin bob 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Bola:
3/10. well done.
 C-nunez 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Bola: haha if it was you thats amazing and made the op look like a tool
 Soap 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Bola: Looks like it's going to be handbags at dawn.
Camdaz 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Bola: Classic, good for you pal, i think a few sorrys wouldn't go a miss (eh!! MICK) how about the use of bad language for a start, wasn't that a (nob) you called him, not great coming from a mod, i have good memory of a ban once for simlar posting.

Keep on the training dude, best a luck.
 Rich Guest 05 Jun 2011
In reply to mat123:

> Say I’m struggling on some V4 at the local bouldering wall. To anyone watching me it’s quite clear that the problem is right at my limit.
>
> In between my attempts, a guy walks up wearing no t-shirt and no shoes, and campuses up the problem.
>
> He walks off with a smug look on his face, then a few minutes later comes back and does it again. It happens several times, each time after I just nearly got the route, but fell off eventually. The venue is nearly empty so if he really, really wanted to practice his campus skills, he could choose from several dozen other problems which I’m not trying.

He's got every right to do what he wants, even if that involves deliberately trying to make you look weak and stupid (which he may or may not have been).
Clearly if that was his motivation, he's got some ego issue, but if he is bothering you, then so have you I'm afraid to say!

Have you asked yourself why you're so annoyed at him?

It really wouldn't bother me in the slightest, in fact, i'd go one step further and approach him to say something along the lines of "wow man, that's awesome strength you've got there. Do you have any tips on how I could progress further myself"
The response would tell me alot about whether he's an outright tit, possibly with some very serious issues or whether he's just a serious hard climber with a meaty training regime, and whether i'd feel inclined to get a few sessions in with him or let him get on his merry way in life.

Peace brothers...

Legionreturns 05 Jun 2011
In reply to mat123:

Three things life (and climbing) has taught me:
1 - there is always someone better than you

2 - there is always someone not as good as you

3 - the measure of you is how you deal with these situations. If you can relate to, converse with, and be pleasant to both of the above, then congrats, you are not a bell end. If you don't make an effort either way then meh, I can't be arsed with you. We were all people before we were climbers.

This view works in all walks of life. Why does someone's worth equate to their climbing ability / salary / ability to play pool etc?

Note I have not "chosen a side" in this particular spat. But I believe this entire thread is a bit pointless as only the op and bolo can attest to their actions and attitudes.
ice.solo 05 Jun 2011
In reply to mat123:

i used to climb with a guy who was an absolute wanker in all walks of life EXCEPT climbing.

you just never can tell with people can you?
Wonko The Sane 05 Jun 2011
In reply to ice.solo: It really just highlights the difference in personalities in sports/life. I'm not a good climber, but there are other sports I've been good at. My character is not one to 'show off' to strangers, quite the reverse I'd always like to think I try to encourage someone at a lower level than me. Someone of my own level would be (in my eyes) fair game for a whooping if I was able.

I guess it's just whether you are sensitive to the effect you can have on others.

I care about that kind of thing, the chap in question obviously doesn't

It would probably annoy me a bit, not because my ego would suffer that someone is better than me, as pointed out, there's ALWAYS someone better than you. I'd be annoyed because I see at as at best, rude and insensitive, at worst, someone someone making an attempt to belittle another at a lower level.

That said, it's frustrating if you are into serious training and there are beginners all over the place, I've been there myself with other sports.
 creag 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Bola:
'excuse me mate! I can see you are trying to work this problem but just to let you know I'll be using it for some campus training... cheers pal'

It's called manners... try some!
 creag 05 Jun 2011
In reply to mat123:
'excuse me mate, I can see you are doing some campus training on here, just to let you know I'll be trying to work this problem... any beta might be helpful!! cheers pal'

Again, manners....
Could this just be a case of London commuter syndrome? Don't make eye contact or say anything!
 creag 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Anonymous:
No, it sounds like a fact.
 Rich Guest 05 Jun 2011
In reply to :
> (In reply to creag)
> [...]
>
> Nope, that doesn't sound patronizing at all.

What about :

Excuse me ever so kindly your honour, but I would like to flail about on this average difficulty problem for a while like a right punter. Would you be ever so kind as to place your V15 aspirations on hold for just a second and refrain from repetetively beasting up it topless like a right f*cking brainless meathead, as it's affecting my concentration....

Everyone's a winner!!

Mick Ward 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Bola:
> (In reply to mat123
>
> To the rest of you, who, from the anonymity and safety of your computer screens, have accused me of having a large/small ego, having a micro penis, of being unable to transfer my abilities outdoors, of being a tool etc. etc. I also encourage you to come and speak to me in person. But that's unlikely because you are clearly rather pathetic individuals.

I called you a nob. Your post has confirmed that view. You're also a bullying nob.

I'm perfectly happy to repeat this to your face. We're unlikely to meet at your local wall but I live on Portland. If you're ever down this way, look me up.

Mick
 Mick Ward 05 Jun 2011
In reply to wilton warrior:

> (In reply to Bola) Classic, good for you pal, i think a few sorrys wouldn't go a miss (eh!! MICK) how about the use of bad language for a start, wasn't that a (nob) you called him, not great coming from a mod, i have good memory of a ban once for simlar posting.

If you are referring to me, I am not (and have never been)a moderator.

Mick
 bouldery bits 05 Jun 2011
In reply to mat123 and Bola:

Is this still going?
Bloody hell.

I have decided (after all, I am by FAR the best human on the forum) That you are both Dick'eads.

Why?

Because you have both come on here and assumed that everyone elses opinion matters in some way.

Easy

Fluvial 05 Jun 2011
In reply to mat123:

Seems like just a case of misinterpretation of facts - to be fair Matt has a point from his side and Bola has a point from his side - maybe you guys could get together and Bola could show you how to nail the problem and matt could ask about better training techniques - then go to the pub have a beer and a cuddle and go their seperate ways happy with there new found climbing friendship
In reply to fozmeister:

But...but... that would make the trolls cry! We need drama and controversy!
 bouldery bits 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Legionreturns:

I agree entirely.
mat123 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Bola: I had expected this thread to die much sooner, but now I guess Bola deserves a response.

I may have misjugded you and hope that no major offence was taken. I don’t, obviously, have a problem at all with stronger climbers casually flashing or campussing problems that I’m struggling on. Or climbing topless. Or shoeless. Rather, it was about the combination of all these, and the fact that, as I wrote, the venue was practically empty, and there were, I’m guessing, well over 100 other problems that I wasn’t trying. But I understand the point about some problems being particularly suitable for campussing, so fair enough.

I don’t think that much more needs to be said on this now, so thanks everyone for contributing and let’s just leave it like this.
 antdav 07 Jun 2011
In reply to creag:
> It's called manners... try some!

seconded, the nature of gyms means manners are needed, i would be annoyed if someone stepped in whilst i was mid problem without a quick word, you expect it from the newbies and kids as they havent been on the recieving end of it. The shirtlessness and campussing may have been completely unrelated but in this situation does make you assume ego's are involved.
 Reach>Talent 07 Jun 2011
In reply to antdav:
seconded, the nature of gyms means manners are needed, i would be annoyed if someone stepped in whilst i was mid problem without a quick word, you expect it from the newbies and kids as they havent been on the recieving end of it.

Do people expect to have sole use of a problem till they have done it?
I step well back unless I'm actually climbing, sieging problems for a protracted period is just antisocial and you should be giving way to other climbers.
 dunc56 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent: It's just how life is. This will clear it up.

youtube.com/watch?v=11gtw0dGuAA&
 antdav 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent: i agree but a friendly word wont hurt and could even start a nice conversation
i.munro 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> Do people expect to have sole use of a problem till they have done it?
> I step well back unless I'm actually climbing, sieging problems for a protracted period is just antisocial and you should be giving way to other climbers.

Amen to that!

mloskot 08 Jun 2011
In reply to mat123:
> In between my attempts, a guy walks up wearing no t-shirt and no shoes,
> and campuses up the problem.
>
> He walks off with a smug look on his face,

Next time he comes over and makes his show, smile, point his "musculus pectoralis major" and ask "Wow! Can I touch it?"
fred_stone 09 Jun 2011
In reply to Mick Ward: what on earth are you on about? you're supposed to be a professional in the climbing community, so behave like one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...