UKC

Ailefroide for single pitch sport 7b+ to 8a, what's it like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 31 May 2011
Pretty much as the title suggests: I'm potentially going there (not just for sport, bouldering and general relaxation too) later this year but not really sure if I'll get the full sport hit / maximum inspiration when there i.e. lots of stuff to go at at these grades. Will I?
 David Coley 31 May 2011
In reply to ksjs:
If you stay up at Ailefroide, not really. There are a few routes of that grade but little to inspire I would suggest. Down the valley on the limestone you will find plenty, so you might be better off staying lower and having the warming evenings.
 Martin Haworth 31 May 2011
In reply to ksjs:There is stuff to do at that grade, and some of it very good(so I am told,beyond my grade), but it is better known for stuff in the 6a to 7a multi-pitch area.
Its also easy to just drive down the valley as well for limestone crags with hard stuff on
If you are bouldering you will have loads of hard top quality stuff to do, and to chill out its a top spot.
I think the first ever f8b was put up at Ailefroide, by Edlinger.
OP ksjs 31 May 2011
In reply to Martin Haworth: Thanks people. What are logistics like if staying in Ailefroide and wanting to visit these further away crags?
 Morgan Woods 31 May 2011
In reply to ksjs: Try googling entraygues which is a steep granite crag down the valley which defo has some hard routes there. Not much in aillefroide itself but i recall one 8a which might be an old Ghesquier route.
 Martin Haworth 01 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs: If you have a car it is easy to get to numerous limestone crags 30 to 60 minutes drive.
In reply to ksjs: If you wanted to climb on other crags I would suggest staying lower down in the Durant Valley. Briancon, Vallouise etc. Ailfroide is a little bit out of the way. Not a huge distance but driving up and down every day would become a bit of a chore.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...