UKC

HELP - It's raining in Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
justthefacts 03 Jun 2011
Hey guys,

My son and I just got to Rodellar to discover bad weather forecasts for the next week. Siurana and Margalef are also knocked out. Do you have any ideas of where to go?

Thanks a lot,

jtf
In reply to justthefacts:

Despite the rain, margalef might be your best bet for climbing in the surrounding areas as there are at least sectors with routes that stay dry. Mot of rodellar/Siurana get very wet very quickly.
 Pete O'Donovan 04 Jun 2011
In reply to justthefacts:

Don't panic just yet. I was in Rodellar this week: on Monday evening there was torrential rain for several hours, but on Tuesday virtually everything was bone dry and people were climbing as usual.

If (as forecast) there is an extended period of continuous rain, many of the steeper, harder routes will probably still stay dry for quite a while, until seepage starts working through. The easier angled routes are obviously more likely to suffer from direct rainfall.

Alternatives: places like Siurana and Margalef are generally less steep than Rodellar, and there are few or no sectors where climbing in the rain is possible. However, both zones dry out far more quickly than Rodellar's tufas.

The crags in Lleida province are another possibility — it rained here this morning but I'm still off out to Camarasa for a few hours, where I hope to get some routes in between showers.

Good luck.
Pete.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...