UKC

About Fear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
michaelc54 13 Jun 2011
Some of you might never get afraid on climbs, but if you do you might find the following link amusing:

http://www.climbingaustralia.com.au/profiles/blogs/its-not-cool-to-admit-to...

It is based on personal experiences!!

Cheers

M
 James Oswald 13 Jun 2011
In reply to michaelc54:
Everyone gets scared! It keeps you alive. It's all about learning when you don't have to be scared and when you can.
James
 James Oswald 13 Jun 2011
In reply to michaelc54:
P.s. I found it amusing
myth 13 Jun 2011
In reply to michaelc54:
Nice article.

I remember reading about a woman who doesnt get scared. She was missing a bit of her brain or something. Kept getting her in to trouble. She would be an awesome climber, or a dead one.
In reply to myth:

Weren't the first sky scrapers built mainly by a tribe of Native Americans who had a genetic predsiposition to not fearing heights?
 mloskot 15 Jun 2011
In reply to James Oswald:
> (In reply to michaelc54)
> Everyone gets scared! It keeps you alive.

Perfectly said. If one finds no more fear feelings, I'd suggest to visit a psychiatrist

Here is fantastic visualisation of fear and its growing tension during climb:

vimeo.com/19891629
 Cypher 15 Jun 2011
In reply to michaelc54: Fear is the difference between taking a logical risk or a dangerous one.
 nniff 15 Jun 2011
In reply to Cypher:

I rely on a number of other things besides the sound principles of retreat from Moscow or Dunkirk. Firstly, there's the SOE principle (or MI5, MI6 or SAS if you prefer) that relies on no-one ever knowing you were interested in the first place.

Secondly, there's always my invisible friend, Reg, my Random Excuse Generator, who can usually be relied upon to pull something credible out of the bag to avoid Humiliation.
 JimboWizbo 15 Jun 2011
In reply to michaelc54: If you find yourself taking a huge shit of fear, shaking, thinking about a potentially dangerous climb. Should you really attempt it?
 teflonpete 15 Jun 2011
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):
> (In reply to myth)
>
> Weren't the first sky scrapers built mainly by a tribe of Native Americans who had a genetic predsiposition to not fearing heights?

Don't think it was genetic, more cultural.

As for the article, brilliant! I have already used the 'Total humiliation' method enough times to be classed as a 'Total tosser', but I am still alive and in one piece.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...