UKC

Wild Camping - Help Us Bring It Back!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 northcave 13 Jun 2011
premier post photo
Hi Chaps!

You may or may not have heard of Camper Star but some of you may know us personally from climbing around Portland, Bristol or maybe the Peaks. Anyway two weeks ago we launched this site to try and make wild camping more accepted in the UK.

We've done this completely off our own backs and we're not commercial in any way. We've had great feedback from the surf, kayaking, biking and feel running communities already and the site is filling up with place already! So this is just us telling you about it and asking you to give us a hand building up it up for all to use.

Anyway here is the site and below is a bit more info: www.CAMPERSTAR.com

What it Does:

Allows you to upload places to wildcamp, bivvy or pitch your van and share them online with photos, comments and updates.

Why are we doing it:

Why not! We're both climbers and regularly wild camp. In Europe and the US everyone does it but in England people seem to think it is an criminal offence. It isn't. The laws of England are old dated and if you act responsibly you can wild camp almost everywhere without causing a stir. In fact many places including Wales, Dartmoor and Scotland actively encourage it now. Things are changing and we're even getting involved to have the laws / policies amended to keep up with the times. We thought we'd help things along a bit by giving everyone a place to share the spots we find

Other stuff:

Ok so we've stuck in some other stuff on the site too. You can sell you kit for free, review stuff should you wish to and we've got a line-up of contributors waiting to post useful guest articles. We're aiming to 1 a week and keep them quite specific. If anyone is interested in contributing that would be cool. Maybe something about camping on the wall would be good and how to approach it for the first time?

The site is new so please bare with it until more people come and help. We're going to have continual competitions and you'll be entered into the running for every site you add!

Cheers guys,

Tim & Ian
 Wile E. Coyote 14 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave: I think this is a great idea! Nice one guys
OP northcave 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Wile E. Coyote:

Thanks Gary. We're getting a load of pimping limited addition van decals done at the moment and will go online free to the first 250 people in the next couple of weeks so keep an eye out

Tim
visage 15 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

This is a fantastic idea. I've had a look at the site and really interested in checking out some of the sites members have posted!
bswery 15 Jun 2011
Nice one guys,
I will add a couple when i get a chance this week. Will be signing up tonight but doubt i will get time to post.

Regards
John
bomb 15 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

" or maybe the Peaks..."

Oh come on.
andyathome 15 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:
At the risk of sounding boring - if I know of a good wild camping spot I might share it with trusted friends; no way would I post the location on the web. If what you are doing is suggesting lay-byes to park up vans well, OK. If what you are doing is publicising and promoting places where people might wish to congregate to wild camp I'm less than enamoured.

climbingchica 16 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:
this is a great idea, I thought wild camping was only legal in Scotland and is somthing i have done recently and loved and also then took to wild camping down in Pembrokeshire but was cautious as i thought it was illegal in England and Wales so this is great that u r promoting it, although I am a little reluctant to share any good wild camping spots, at the risk of sounding selfish half the fun of wild camping is finding somwhere quiet and removed from others and I wouldnt want to share that.
 3leggeddog 16 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

This is a really bad idea, the attrction of wild camps is that they are quiet and undisturbed. Publicity will spoil that. The more popular, accessible spots will be closed off by landowners due to over use. Boulders will be dumped at the roadside to prevent parking. Anyone remember Clachaig flats?

None commercial my *rse, it looks like you are playing the long game for advertising revenue.
 nightmonkeyuk 16 Jun 2011
In reply to 3leggeddog:
Just had a look myself and it reccomends hardknot pass as a great place for camping??
Keep the lakes out of it will you.
In reply to northcave: I think it's a good idea. and the website is really nice and user friendly Good Job
 Mike Goldthorp 16 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

Man people can get so funny about wild camping! It's such a simple way of doing things, and as long as people are respectful and don't leave a trace (urge people to do so!) I'm all for it, good job guys!
Bellie 17 Jun 2011
In reply to andyathome: Agreed Andy. Turning up to a location to find it like a campsite is not my idea of wildcamping. Unfortunately, not everyone respects the ethics of wildcamping... even some so called wildcampers.

You can say the same about climbers.... we all think we are whiter than white... but someone must be crapping at the foot of routes and leaving a mess.

In Scotland, with its free access laws, they have decided to restrict camping in places where it was being abused.
 Jon Read 17 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:
Helsby?!?! Are you guys mad? First, you may end sharing your 'nice' bivi with (ahem) amorous locals (I've seen the litter). Secondly, you'd better watch out for the broken glass. And thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, the National Trust own it, do not permit camping let alone the open fires you're suggesting campers make, and they have a *big* legal team.

You're enthusiastic about wild camping, great, but I think this is the wrong thing to do for many reasons.
 Jon Read 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Bellie: Like the Loch Lomond roadside, another spot reccommended by this site.
 dan66 17 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

I think this is a dangerous precedent. I can’t see how the site is going to “make wild camping more accepted in the UK”. It could have the opposite effect on some landowners! By the way, you are not permitted by law to camp on areas of open access land in England and Wales under the CROW Act 2000

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=3909

Fat Bumbly2 17 Jun 2011
In reply to dan66: Bad idea - you are sharing with the gomls and crapcampers who plague the loch sides here in Scotland.
 mikehike 17 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

On the surface nice website but...
Sorry to say this site has a conflict of interest to wild camping.
The Law on wild camping needs to be kept as is in England

mike hike

If I had control at UKC I would remove this add
 Howard J 18 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave: I have to agree with those who think this site is a bad idea. Good pitches should be kept quiet, not advertised to all and sundry. This isn't being elitist, they're still available for anyone who wants to seek them out, but publicising them will bring damage, litter and bad relations with the landowner.
 Kyle87 19 Jun 2011
This is such a terrible idea. Your heart was in the right place I guess but you are assisting in the deterioration to not only the reputation of quiet bivvying and no trace campers, but also our land itself. If it grows in popularity these locations will be closely monitored for campers.

**Think about all the work the BMC does to grant climber access - you are endangering this**

Please regress and look at what you are doing.

Also anyone with half a brain can find thousands of great spots to camp very easily without anyone ever having a clue.

Peace out.
 ericoides 19 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

Appalling idea
In reply to northcave: Hi Tim and Ian

I can see your hearts are in the right place but I'm afraid I agree with the posters who don't like the idea. Publicising wild camping spots in this manner on a dedicated website is asking for trouble. Especially the more accessible roadside locations. The legal situation is complex and varies across the UK, but even in the most liberal of access regimes in scotland excessive bad behaviour at a well known location has brought about the introduction of (unprecedented) anti-camping byelaws. Personally I occasionally mention places to camp in articles and guidebooks, but I'm careful never to be specific about locations ('good camping in Glen X' but not homing in on a definite spot) and would always steer clear of mentioning the roadside rubbish dumps. A website with the sole intention of directing people to places like this could only increase the numbers and the problems, which would be a good way to go about encouraging authorities to restrict things more tightly.

See article on UKH about wild camping and access issues here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3791
Removed User 20 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

This is a staggeringly bad idea.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are doing this to try to change the laws governing wild camping in England rather than create a website which will eventually generate income from advertising.

I do think that your site is more likely to have the opposite effect to your stated intention and create more hotspots of overused 'wild' campsites, which will ultimately piss off locals and authorities, not to mention all of us responsible low impact 'wild' campers.

Finally, as you correctly state, one may indeed camp pretty much anywhere one likes in Scotland, so please do not publish 'wild' camping locations in Scotland on your site, there is no need.

Bobling 21 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

If this site is not commercial in anyway why the premier post? I don't gettit.

In reply to northcave: I think publishing locations of wild camping spots is a bad idea for the following reasons:

1 the current rules on wild camping work well enough.
2 conflict with the landowners
3 pollution of the more accessible sites will increase
 bluebealach 21 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave: Terrible crazy idea - seems that this could be a possible precursor to another Loch Lomond!!!!
 winhill 21 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

I think you've got to decide which master you serve, the plastic fantastic camper market (wild camping in car parks!) or the carry in carry out pedestrian market.

The ethos is very different and the expectations diverse.

I'm not sure how the two mix.
 rjb 22 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave: no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

seriously are you mad!!! we dont need it! if you cant find a location for yourself then you should just stick to valley camping. last thing i want is for someone to come and pitch right next to me! wild camping is all about being out there on your own, enjoying the solitude.

if you go ahead with this we will have many more loch lomonds!
 benka 22 Jun 2011
In reply to ADHD: Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

Somebody shut this site down. "there's a patch of grass for walking your dog"... for gods sake!
KTT 23 Jun 2011
In reply to benka: Agreed an utterly awful idea.
 monkeys 23 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave
Terrible idea - may as well advertise good spots for fly-tipping.
I'm sure you behave responsibly re noise, shitting/pissing, dumping rubbish etc, but many many won't and would be much better confined to a campsite
 Andy Say 24 Jun 2011
In reply to dan66:
> (In reply to northcave)
>
> you are not permitted by law to camp on areas of open access land in England and Wales under the CROW Act 2000
>
> http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=3909

Not quite right, Dan. You cannot use the CRoW act to justify wild camping on Access land - it is an 'excepted' activity in the terms of that act. But that doesn't meant that the CRoW acts says you 'may not' wild camp - a landowner may give permission, there may be specific bye-laws permitting etc etc. and in those situations all is hunky-dory. You can't be stopped 'because of CRoW'.

Wild camping, per se, is not 'illegal' in the vast majority of situations, in my opinion. But by the act of wild camping you may well be committing an act of trespass. You could be stopped because you are a trespasser or because there are specific regulations applying to the site.
 Andy Say 24 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:
Oh. And to the OP. I see that on your site you recommend that people might like to go and camp in the middle of one of the National Nature Reserves - Cwm Idwal. Checked that idea out have you?
 Gav M 24 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

What a great way to accelerate the degradation of, and encourage the barring of access to good camping spots.

Will the promotors of this site be happy when every piece of flat ground of 6' x 2' or larger in size has been added to their webpage along with an inane review written by a prize-hungry fud?

A 2/5 rating for a piece of grass right beside the Allt a'Mhuillin path that will probably lhave a dozen cables laid on it over a winter? FFS...

In the words of the great Peter Grant in Led Zeppelin's 'Song Remains the Same' video, "So long as there is another nickel to be drained........"

m dunn 24 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave: Whole point of wild camping is quiet/ low impact. Your site I'm afraid, is a really poor idea which will threaten the concept it purports to espouse. It would be a really good idea if you withdrew it.

mike
 alps-john 24 Jun 2011
In reply to m dunn: On a recent walking trip from coniston to wasdale via walna scar road i was surprised by the amount of tents around the rigg area with cars and a couple of campervans.

I would imagine that it started years ago as a few mates and has grown into something that needs sorting out. I have stayed on smaller campsites than this area. It worries me that this site will turn some special places into something like this area on walna scar road.

A famous climber was asked at a talk he was presenting (dont remember who). "what is your favourite place to go". Reply. "If i told you then it would not be my favourite place anymore". I think a fair and just response to the question.
 ginsters 25 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

theres already a site/forum though?it been going for years
Mots d'Invers 26 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

Please, no! Publicising wild-camping spots will lead to an increase in traffic, guaranteed. Let people use their imagination. That will spread the use of remote sites out more evenly.
 mlmatt 27 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

I'm not being funny but this isn't a good idea. As far as wild camping around England and Wales is concerned is that technically it's illegal BUT as long as you do it quietly, being unobtrusive and carrying everything that you carried in out with you then there isn't a problem.

This isn't really something to publicise across the interwebs is it.

Another small point I feel I need to mention as well. What about all the revenue that is generate in national parks by people staying at campsites and bunkhouses. I know that it might feel like your being robbed paying £4 to stay in a field with a toilet, but at least your contributing something to the local economy.

Wild camping is great, don't get me wrong, but part of the greatness comes from the solitude that is gained from it. I don't fancy turning up to my favourite wildcamping spot to find a load of people already there because it had a great review on some website they found.

Good day to you sir.
 Ben C 28 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave: Bad bad idea! Part of the fun of wild camping is working it out for yourself and being able to read a map!! As many have said we all have places we go to get away from the idiots!

UKC please stop taking their money to advertise this and drop the ad.!
Slugain Howff 28 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave:

What a dreadful idea. A website promoting wild camping locations suggests huge conflict of interest. The list of wild spots in Scotland which have been trashed in the last 20 years due to over grazing and vandalism is a long one.

It's a bit like suggesting a website that lists the locations of Golden Eagle nest sites.

One thing is certain in this world, people will always let you down.
 mlmatt 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Slugain Howff:

I do not doubt your point, but overgrazing? really?
Slugain Howff 29 Jun 2011
In reply to mlmatt:
> (In reply to Slugain Howff)
>
> I do not doubt your point, but overgrazing? really?

You knew what I meant.

In reply to northcave: Dear Tim and Ian this is one of the worst ideas ever. If you have to look at a website to locate a wild camping spot you shouldnt be wild camping possibly shouldnt even be breathing.

An example from your site: The picnic site across from the Helwith Bridge. The next time Im there looking for orchids I will look forward to seeing empty beer tins everywhere and I will blame you.

Wild camping doesnt need advertising and it doesnt need a change in the law. If you wild camp correctly you pitch your tent in the evening when you need it and you take it down in the morning. Nobody should ever know you were there.

Wild camping: you keep it quite and you keep it to yourself. You dont advertise it on a website like youre going dogging.

I look forward to having fun and games posting on your website.
 critchlg 30 Jun 2011
In reply to northcave: Cut & Paste job from one site entry:

This spot is a little hard to find but it is a perfect stopover for campervans. There are a couple of lovely walks along to the cliff top. Swanage is a short drive away.

Have just returned to this site and guess what - "No overnight camping" signs have been put up!

Enuff said ?
In reply to Fawksey:

Hear hear! A terrible idea.

La Sham
GBriffett 01 Jul 2011
In reply to northcave:
Dreadful idea. Seriously mis-placed & mis-guided at the very best.
 Cobbler 01 Jul 2011
 OllieR 03 Jul 2011
Be careful if you plan to publicise wild camping near the crags around the rest of Europe.

Landowners can and have withdrawn access to some crags because of wild camping (mainly due to the risk of fires as well as the mess left behind).

I'm sure you wouldn't want any crag closures on your conscience!

andyathome 04 Jul 2011
In reply to mlmatt:
As far as wild camping around England and Wales is concerned is that technically it's illegal >
> Good day to you sir.

Wild camping IS NOT ILLEGAL. There is no law against wild camping; there are laws dealing with trespass but not wild camping as such.

But I agree with all the above. This site is such a bad, bad idea. Why not keep it at a wee resource for owners of VW vans to list good lay-byes on the quiet - not trumpet to every one that its COOOOL to park up alongside Bala Lake (for example) as a free place to kip.
Glen Staniforth 05 Jul 2011
In reply to northcave: Let’s face it on face vale the web site is not a great idea. People like myself who wild camp and use UKC would not share the locations we camp. I would hope we like minded people that will not leave rubbish and shit around when camping. The only thing this web page encourages is drunken Muppets to cause damage and restrict access for others.
I get the idea, and wild camping should be encouraged (responsibly) but I feel it will have a negative outcome in the end.

George Ormerod 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Whatever next? They'll be giving away your location.

I can't help agreeing with all the above negative comments above. There are so many more morons camping of late (just a function of more people camping). Combine that with the publicity and it's a recipe for disaster.
 Steve John B 06 Jul 2011
In reply to northcave: Sorry guys, while I applaud your keenness, I think your website is a TERRIBLE idea. A really terrible idea.
 Sandy Moore 07 Jul 2011
I suggest some reflection on the inevitable negative inpact of this site as noted by almost all the previous feedback.

Move to withdraw website?

Our survey said...
 Erik B 10 Jul 2011
In reply to northcave: shocking idea, your website will destroy the very thing you are intending to help. we dont need this in Scotland so PLEASE LEAVE WELL ALONE!!!

to me, this is like having a website for junkies in which they list and recommend houses which are easy to break into..

also, If you are going to persist with this your legal notice is shockingly inadequate, YOU WILL get sued by a super rich and powerful landowner in England, never underestimate the power of the land owning section of UK society, be warned! I have experience of setting up web sites, your legal notice should be many pages long and constructed by a lawyer, even then you wont be 'sue proof'...

I would normally say good luck, but I am actually angry so I wish you nothing but bad luck with this.
nedmoran 10 Jul 2011
In reply to northcave: Gotta agree with the people who are against this. I wild camp around 90% of the time i go away and it is a great experience. But part of that experience includes finding your own wild spot. If you advertise places to camp, they will become more popular and this will lead to land owners taking action. This could be a simple "get of my land", but at the other end of the scale. Could lead to mass petitions to Downing St, for tougher laws and penalties.
 fullastern 11 Jul 2011
In reply to northcave: A lot of work seems to have gone into this, possibly a contender for most elaborate troll ever?
 Bob Aitken 11 Jul 2011
In reply to northcave:
Furthermore ... the site seems to make no useful distinction between roadside camping, whether by the car or in a campervan, and authentic backcountry wild camping. The first type simply doesn't qualify as 'responsible' wild camping as outlined in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. Land managers like the National Trust for Scotland will often aim to discourage roadside camping, as at the (already grossly overused) Glen Etive location identified on the site.

Sorry fellas - your whole project is misconceived, and likely to harm the cause you claim to be keen to promote.
 3 Names 17 Jul 2011
In reply to northcave:

Hi Tim & Ian

Maybe the reaction your web site has generated are a surprise to you.
Clearly this is viewed by most as a very bad idea, which goes against the whole point of wild camping.
I would be interested in your response?

All the best

Vince

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...