UKC

What water bottle do you use when out climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juglan 22 Jun 2011
I'm getting rid of my SIGG due to it having an epoxy liner that may contain BPA.
 Lez Bee Anne 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna:

I use a 1 litre ex rum bottle gorilla taped to feck . . . 80) (taping is optional of course) . Or a lifesystems stainless steel flask .
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: BPA BS. all those years that BPA has been present in a lot of things you drink and eat out of and now you want to do something about it? I think that if there was any real health risk to it, it would have manifested itself by now in some way or another.

I use a re-used 1.5lt mineral water bottle for a few times until its knacked and swap it for a new one (I recycle!)
 winhill 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: sigg. but i have kids and consider anything that lowers your sperm count a bonus.
 wilkie14c 22 Jun 2011
Are you sure the risk of BPA poisoning is worth changing bottles when at the end of the day you are doing an activity that could well kill you and prob has a greater risk of that than BPA poisoning? OR is it an ethical thing? If its ethical, I'll swap you a 1L Nag for your sigg. Fair nick, not been wee'd in.

In answer to the question though I have a mix of SIGGs and 0.75L ASDA 'sigg' type bottles <2 quid each>. All have a few wraps of gaffa tape to re-enforce the bottle and provide emergency gaffa tape. I prefer the lower bulk of the sigg and using the 0.75L one i can chop and change the ammount of water I want to carry with ease. I like the crab hole at the top too, perfect for routes at Tremadog say, where you not climbing with a sack but a drink half way up would be good. I fear the plastic tab on the nag bottles would snap off leaving a kilo weight wizzing down the crag.
 gd303uk 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: I use the bottle the water came in when i purchased it. unless i fill an old bottle with water from the tap in my kitchen.
 fried 22 Jun 2011
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to Lupine Lacuna) B
> I use a re-used 1.5lt mineral water bottle for a few times until its knacked and swap it for a new one (I recycle!)

Me too, they also have the added bonus that you can see how much water is left.
 LastBoyScout 22 Jun 2011

Haven't used my Sigg in years. Stopped using it variously due to the lining cracking and I didn't like drinking aluminium, too cold to drink from in winter, bought a couple of Nalgene bottles and got into using hydration bladders.

Somehow, I can't seem to part with it, but it's only ever going to be used now as a fuel bottle.
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: I use a "bladder" because it helps pad my back on the way in, collapses in size on the way out and weighs sod all.

Al
 liz j 22 Jun 2011
A one litre lemonade bottle, virtually indistructible, super cheap, and you can use finger tape to make a little loop to attach to your harness as well.
 GrahamD 22 Jun 2011

Tesco 2l water bottle. About 17p including water - free for refills.
 Dnmn 22 Jun 2011
In reply to gd303uk: I usually quench my thirst by drinking the bitter hot tears of desperation and frustration as I injure myself yet again!!!

earlsdonwhu 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: I have just had a couple of beers so am lubricated to suggest that noone gives a toss about the best frigging water bottle. If it doesn't break or leak who cares?

Alternatively, you should be posting on www.whatw*terbottle.co.uk
Wonko The Sane 22 Jun 2011
In reply to earlsdonhammer: A hands free one, doesn't everyone? A 1.5ltr camel.
 benghull 22 Jun 2011

Platypus soft bottles, can roll them up as you drink so saves space and they are clear so easy to keep a track on how much is left and clean.
 Clarence 22 Jun 2011

As my belayer once found out, a full platypus dropped from 30' is not necessarily a danger but it is annoying.
 nniff 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Lupine Lacuna)
>
> As my belayer once found out, a full platypus dropped from 30' is not necessarily a danger but it is annoying.

But I bet your belayer wasn't nearly as pissed off as the platypus - nice and full after breakfast and some sod drops him off a cliff
 Heike 22 Jun 2011

Why not use an empty 1.5 or so litre plastic bottle -doesn't cost anything and when it's knackered you get a new one - reuse, recycle and all that.

What does the BPA in the SIGG bottle do anyways? Does it reduce sperm count? Never did my hubby any harm clearly. Another consideration is that you probably (unless you are a man /woman of leisure) you won't be drinking out of it every day!

Fishmate 22 Jun 2011

I clearly have hydration issues. A 3L camel bladder. Just in case like! I rarely have much left after a day out.
 Trangia 23 Jun 2011

Two recylcled .75l plastic bottles, which I exchange for newer ones every so often.

Why pay for expensive purpose made ones when these do the job adequately?
 girlymonkey 23 Jun 2011
I'm currently using an old ribena bottle, and will probably change to a tesco orange squash bottle when the ribena one gets too bashed or I loose it. They squish down well when they are not full, so take less space in a rucksack, and easily replaced if lost.
 rorschach 23 Jun 2011
I had a BPA Sigg and rang company in UK and they replaced with BPA bottle free of charge. Consider this?
ice.solo 23 Jun 2011

im a huge fan of those thin bottles some mineral water comes in (in japan the water is ilohas, maybe different there). its still plastic, but you can squish it down to about 1/4 the size when done, or half fill them and squeeze the air out so they sit flat.
the rigidity of a real bottle but the packability of a camelback.

will last a few trips and as an added bonus come with water in them!

also brilliant piss bottles.
 stonemaster 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Reuse Coke/any other fizz bottles of various sizes one has found in bins. Recycle them when knackered and get some more. BPA= excuse for money for old rope...
 Toerag 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: 1-2 litre fizzy pop bottles - effectively free once you've drunk the pop inside, ultra-strong, reliable lid, and easy to carry - upside down in the straps on the side of your sac.
 mlmatt 23 Jun 2011

Standard issue wide mouth nalgene. Ducktaped with a keeper sling. Having said that I rarely carry it up routes (heavy). If I have to take something up a route with me it'll be colapsable platypus type bottle.
OP Juglan 23 Jun 2011
Emailed Sigg. Although they took the BPA stuff out, looks like theyre not willing to do it for me, though I will continue to try.

Here is what they said:

Thank you for your enquiry about your SIGG bottles with our former epoxy liner.

Up until August 2008, we manufactured SIGG bottles with a proprietary, water-based epoxy liner that contained a trace amount of BPA. Over the years, we have thoroughly and regularly tested our bottles in the U.S. and Switzerland. Under rigorous conditions, testing showed no detectable migration or leaching of BPA from the liner. Testing equipment in these independent laboratories measured down to the detection standard of 2 parts per billion - hundreds of times below the levels allowed by international standards for BPA use.

Having been in business for over 100 years, we are always looking to improve our products and our procedures. In August of 2008, we began manufacturing SIGG bottles with our new EcoCare liner. The new manufacturing process employs a powder coating technology which ensures virtually no waste and uses no organic solvents (VOCs). Like SIGG's previous high performance bottle liner, the new SIGG EcoCare Liner ensures no taste or odour transfer and leach-free durability. This new liner has been thoroughly tested and is made from BPA- and phthalate-free ingredients.

We made this change to manufacture our bottles in a more environmentally friendly manner - as well as to remove BPA from our liner formula. We took this decision despite the fact that BPA has been approved for use in food and beverage products by all worldwide health and regulatory authorities for decades - and is still being widely used today. For a few years, there has been some confusion and concern surrounding this ingredient particularly in North America so we concluded: if we can remove BPA from our liner, it might be more appealing to more people.

As a Swiss company, we take great pride in manufacturing our own bottles at our own factory in Frauenfeld, Switzerland. This allows us to closely monitor the production of SIGG bottles, ensuring the highest standards of quality and safety and minimizing the impact that our manufacturing process has on the environment. At SIGG Switzerland, we stand behind the quality and safety of all of our bottles, both old and new.

I trust you will continue to use your bottles with confidence.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...