UKC

NEW REVIEW: 'All Rounder' Rock Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 29 Jun 2011
Same same but different, 6 kb"I took them all out together in a sort of shoe orgy and became an Imelda Marcos figure at the local crag," explains Sarah Flint, "wearing a succession of different shoes – by which I mean different shoes on each foot (as well as the normal way of course). And what did I find? Same, same but different..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3847
 TobyA 29 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

"For me these are a bit of a conundrum when it comes to fit. I'm usually a size 5 ½ but I had to go for a size 6 – which proved to be vice-like rather than glove-like. I can't need a whole size larger can I?"

Well, probably, yes.

I think anyone new to climbing should just ignore the label size. I climb in size 39s and in 42s from different brands, and both are good fits. It doesn't really matter what you "normally wear" because rock shoes from various brands aren't normal.

The more shoes I have owned over the years, the more I'm convinced that unless you are just buying like for like, you need to go to shop and try shoes on until you find the ones that fit. Ignore the size label besides as a starting point.
 GrahamD 29 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

> The more shoes I have owned over the years, the more I'm convinced that unless you are just buying like for like, ....

Even then !
 tony 29 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:
>
> The more shoes I have owned over the years, the more I'm convinced that unless you are just buying like for like, you need to go to shop and try shoes on until you find the ones that fit.

Even then it doesn't always work. There was a time when 5-10 sizing was so random you could buy two pairs that were nominally the same size but were significantly different sizes when squeezed onto the foot.
 Reach>Talent 29 Jun 2011
In reply to tony:
I'd second that, thee first lot of 5.10 Galileos seemed particularly bad and had a full size of variation in the 3 pairs of 11s I tried on.
 TobyA 29 Jun 2011
In reply to tony and Graham: Yeah, actually agree although Sportivas I've found ok over time and even between models. Although they size slightly differently between models so my Miuras are 40 (scrunched and dead tight for my 'hard' [ha ha] sends) and my Cliffs are 40 (comfy all day for mountain routes).

The EpiCentre 01 Jul 2011
http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/blog

Here's a short film of our Rock Shoe range at the Epicentre.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...