UKC

Which Tablet computer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fxceltic 11 Jul 2011
Hi all, wondered if anyone has any advice on which tablet pc thing to buy?

I understand that its a choice between android and apple O/S basically, but which is really the best option?

I woudl probably go for android, but probably only really because it annoys me how much everyone drones on about how great apple is, and I have heard some stuff to suggest the ipads arent that great.
Im aware the android runs run flash where apples dont.

Im concerned though that there will be less apps available on android?

Anyone got any experience or advice to offer on this matter?
ta
 gethin_allen 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic:
The ASUS transformer tablet PCs look great and have had some good reviews.
The only time i've used an I pad I found it a real pain to type anything and this would solve that problem.
fxceltic 11 Jul 2011
In reply to gethin_allen: ta, bit suss about them as anything that connects together like that looks a dead cert to break at some point not too far in the future?
 Hoppo 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic:
> I woudl probably go for android, but probably only really because it annoys me how much everyone drones on about how great apple is

That's a strange reaon not to get something. Surely if people are going on about how great it is then there's a reasson for that?

I have an ipad, it's brilliant!

Dave80 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic: I've got an android phone and never had a problem getting the app I want on that so I'd guess the same would go for a tablet. That said though, we've got an iPad (due to some special needs apps being available on it but nothing else) for my son to use and it appears that the apps for the ipad are different than the ones for the iphone so it may be the same with android.

The iPad is a handy wee gizmo but I've found myself starting to use laptop / phone more than the ipad again now that the novilty has worn off.
Fawksey 2 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic:
>
>it annoys me how much everyone drones on about how great apple is, and I have heard some stuff to suggest the ipads arent that great.

mmmm contradictory. I wont tell you how great the apple ipad is then if it annoys you. I think your mind is made.
 gethin_allen 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Hoppo:
I can see the reasoning behind this. There seemss to be two types of people that I regularly meet; those that just want something to work no matter who it's made by, and those that want to be Steve Jobs' right hand and want to tell you how amazing everything apple produce is and why everything else you have is crap despite the fact that the stuff you are currently using is working fine and fulfilling all your needs.
 And Climb 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic: If you were buying one right now then the iPad 2 would be the better choice. More tablet specific apps, better supported and more mature.

In about 6 months Android based tablets will be equal to the iPad in terms of amount of quality apps.. If you're not that fussed about it I'd get the ASUS Transformer or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
fxceltic 11 Jul 2011
In reply to gethin_allen: exactly, some techical people reckon the android system is better, but ipads sell more due to nice design and marketing?
 gethin_allen 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic:
Just found a good review of that ASUS transformer if you're interested.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer_Laptop_review
 Hoppo 11 Jul 2011
In reply to gethin_allen:

Yes I agree, though the reason the op gives for not wanting to go down the apple route is just flawed logic. If somethings good it's good, not just because people ramble on about it. I'm no apple evangelist, though my experiences with the ipad are positive and I will always pass on that advice to others should they ask for it.
 rallymania 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic:

and no-one has yet asked you any really important questions... like

what do you want it to do?
how much are you really wanting to spend?
android runs flash and currently iOS doesn't... so it may be better for multi websites
apple has more apps available, but as someone else said, don't confuse quantity for quality. you may find android has all you need
hardware wise one of the best things about most android tabs may well be the sd card slot that most of them seem to have. great for looking at your pictures straight from your camera
Fawksey 2 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic: Try not to get too hot and bothered about other people who like ipads. If you want an android system get one. You dont have to tell ipad owners that they only bought it because it looks great. Its not a North Face down jacket.
 littleduck 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic: look at tech radar. Has fab reciews. There top pad this year is the asus transformer eepad. I'd get that above any other if a had the money.
I just got a cheap pad for 100 from netto. It does the trick and saves taking a millino dvds on holiday for the kids. Battery about 2 hours but we have electric in tent.
Go for android. Apple is too specifically apple based.
I hjave every app i need on android on my my phone. Flash makes big difference. I'm saving for an eepad transformer for xmas.
 Stefan Kruger 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic:

Try before you buy.

Note that there are hardly any apps specifically for Android tablets (Android 3.0). iPads are popular for a reason.
 rallymania 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Stefan Kruger:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> Try before you buy.
>
> Note that there are hardly any apps specifically for Android tablets (Android 3.0). iPads are popular for a reason.

Ok i'll bite...

Bigger advertising budget?
 Stefan Kruger 11 Jul 2011
In reply to rallymania:
> (In reply to Stefan Kruger)
> [...]
>
> Ok i'll bite...
>
> Bigger advertising budget?

Perhaps. But the key is in the 'try before you buy'. On my desk right now I have an iPad1, an iPad2, a BlackBerry PlayBook and a Motorola Xoom.

Apple has the advantage that they design both hardware and software - they can build truly integrated experiences that the others just can't match. Looking away for a second from the trendy Apple-hatred, there really is a class difference - even the latest and greatest Android tablet looks plain shoddy and ill thought through even next to the iPad1. I see a lot of these things through my work.

There are several reasons for there not being a great deal many apps for Android tablets - firstly, the market just isn't there - there are 20 million iPads out there, so the developer mind share is with Apple. Secondly, there is no real hardware standard for Android - screen sizes vary etc, making it much more painful for developers to cover all bases. Thirdly, Android owners - to a greater extent than Apple owners - seem to expect their apps to be free. Apple seems to have fostered an expectation that you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't get an iPad if I had to pay for it with my own money - although it's (by a mile) the best of the tablets, it's still expensive and don't (in my opinion) offer enough beyond what I already get from a laptop and a smartphone. But as it stands, I use my (work) iPad every day - I wouldn't use an Android tab even if one was given to me for free - not because I dislike Android (I have an Android phone), but because at the moment, they're too immature and lacking in useable apps.
 Reach>Talent 11 Jul 2011
The blog of the developer of Battleheart on iOS and Android has some quite interesting reading on the differences between the two platforms.

http://mikamobile.blogspot.com/2011/06/android.html
 rallymania 11 Jul 2011

completely agree with your "try before you buy" advice.

re you comment about variety of hardware on android v iOS... isn't that the point? while apple's method has a lot of merit, i can't see how giving the consumer more choice is a bad thing

not having used the tab version of android, i take it no android v2 apps work on v3? what apps do you think are missing?

fxceltic 11 Jul 2011
In reply to rallymania:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> and no-one has yet asked you any really important questions... like
>
> what do you want it to do?

browse web, play games, use apps, watch films, play music

> how much are you really wanting to spend?

no more than £500

> android runs flash and currently iOS doesn't... so it may be better for multi websites

thats what i figured

> apple has more apps available, but as someone else said, don't confuse quantity for quality. you may find android has all you need
> hardware wise one of the best things about most android tabs may well be the sd card slot that most of them seem to have. great for looking at your pictures straight from your camera

I guess my problem is Im worried that android is the better long term option, but ipad is better for now.

Isnt it a massive pain in the arse not having a USB on the ipad?
 Ian McNeill 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic:

iPad all the way i have been using one since last year fantastic great if you uses with drop box, apples cloud and office to go and now there's keynote, numbers and pages great if you don't want bulk .

the usb socket concern there is also another connector out there too ... http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/ipad-usb-camera-connector-works-with...

http://www.porta-charge.co.uk/ipad-usb-adapter.html
 pneame 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to Stefan Kruger)
> The blog of the developer of Battleheart on iOS and Android has some quite interesting reading on the differences between the two platforms.
>
> http://mikamobile.blogspot.com/2011/06/android.html

Most interesting - I'd say from the point of view of programming the iPad is a HUGE PAIN IN THE A**, although the development platform / support network is great. Android lets the developer use the customer base for debugging whereas Apple insists on a workable and reasonably reliable product before they will let you into their walled garden.
As he points out, the net result is that you have to deal with your user base directly which can be a bit time consuming to put it mildly.
As a result, I'd not bother working (as a programmer) with android yet. The apple user is enough of a pain as it is ("this application is a complete waste of money. I want my 99cents back. I've been ripped off" etc etc"). The result of this quite common mindset is that the iPad is likely to have more and better software for quite some time. Possibly into the next paradigm shift in computer, whatever that will be.

Back to the OPs question - I find the iPad is a great device for reading (in a variety of formats), light email, web browsing, iTunes, light word processing (best to get a keyboard/stand for this). For anything else, a laptop computer is far more useful. And an Android would be just as good.

But not as cool. And it's very important to be cool
Phil Payne 11 Jul 2011
In reply to fxceltic:

I have an 8" android tablet and it does everything that I wanted it to do. I can check email, browse the web, watch videos and play games as well as a few other useful apps. Typing anything is a bit clunky when using the screen, so I have a wireless keyboard for that and battery life is only about 4 hours, which is a bit annoying. Not bad for £130 from ebay though.

I've tried other android tablets and the branded ones that cost £350+ are a lot nicer and have brighter screens and more responsive touch panel, but from what I've seen don't actually do any more things.

I've also tried the iPad and it instantly feels in another class, with a really quality screen and fantastic touch response. The apps seem a lot more mature and there's more of them. The iPad still only does the same things though and isn't a replacement for a proper laptop or PC.

I used my tablet loads when I first got it, but the novelty soon wears off and now I occasionally use it for playing angry birds or if I'm travelling and don't want to take a laptop. I think that ultimately they are just a novelty item that are great for taking on your travels or in the case of an iPad, a great fashion accessory.
 Stefan Kruger 12 Jul 2011
In reply to rallymania:

> re you comment about variety of hardware on android v iOS... isn't that the point? while apple's method has a lot of merit, i can't see how giving the consumer more choice is a bad thing

Customers have a bewildering array of choice in the tablet arena - iOS, Android (a lot of them..), QNX (RIM/BlackBerry), WebOS (HP), and - sooner or later - a credible Microsoft tablet OS. Apple, HP and RIM control both their hardware and software. This makes the life so much easier for the app developer, and what makes or breaks a tablet in the market is its apps. There are currently 500k+ apps in the Apple appstore. This is probably hard for any competitor to catch up with in the foreseeable future, regardless of any technical merits their product may have.

Critics tend to point out that Apple is a closed eco system, not being "open". This is true, very much deliberate, and perhaps the one reason that makes it successful. No hardware ports = no hardware incompatibilities. No unvetted apps = limited software bugs and incompatibilities. Apple makes a living on providing a "premium experience" - at a premium price, usually. Shit just works. Your average punter couldn't care less about openness, they care that things look good, and work. This is what Apple does best.

The "premium price" thing is interesting though - it certainly applies to Apple's computers, but for tablets, no credible competitor have been able to undercut Apple on price, probably due to Apple basically creating the niche, and owning a large chunk of the manufacturing process. So we're in the somewhat curious situation that the best (and I say that with zero hesitation) tablet is also the cheapest - although still eye-wateringly expensive, of course.

> not having used the tab version of android, i take it no android v2 apps work on v3? what apps do you think are missing?

You can run some apps in emulation mode, in a window, kind of thing - but they look ugly, and don't always work, as they're based on a phone OS for small screens.

I saw a piece recently that reckoned Apple use their $50bn (yes billion) cash reserve to offer help to manufacturers in building new fabrication facilities in return for exclusive access to the end product for some period and preferential pricing thereafter. So for something like touchscreens, Apple will be there first and be cheaper for enough time to ensure that they are ahead in the market.

For other manufacturers to come in they will be paying a premium for the parts so the end product either has to be sold at a near loss (if not actually at a loss) to compete with the iPad.

Apple is a closed system but then quite a lot of similar delivery mechanisms are just as restrictive.

Then there is the cachet that Apple have successfully generated for their products that means they can charge more, in this respect they are still far behind the "designer water" companies though.

ALC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...