UKC

Starter Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kitk 11 Jul 2011
I want to buy my first rope after doing a lead climbing course, before i loose the skills i learnt and to indulge in the vibe of doing it.

I will mainly be indoor but some outdoor - sports climbing and top roping.

Seen a deal on a 2 ropes and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on these or other offers they know of. Thanks K :

Eldelrid Python 10mm x 60m for £86.36
Weight (g/m) 64
Sheath proportion (%) 38
Number of falls 6
Impact force (kN) 8.9
Dynamic elongation (%) 33
Static elongation (%) 9.1
Sheath slippage (mm) 0

or the Beal Edlinger II 10.2mm x 60m for £79.96 Diameter: 10.2mm
Meets EN892 requirements
Weight: 65g per metre
Number of UIAA falls: 8
Impact force: 8kn
Material: Polymid (PA)
Elongation with an 80kg weight: 9.5%
 James Goodwin 11 Jul 2011
In reply to kitk: From the info given they seem much the same, it may be worth finding out more about them to compare the 2 on all criteria.

Also if you can, try and get hold of the August issue of Climber (I got mine in the post today so they're likely due in shops any time now) which has a gear review of various ropes across the whole price range, including the Edelrid Python (though not the Beal Edlinger unfortunately).
 Chi Cheng 11 Jul 2011
In reply to kitk:

Hello,

I have and will always go with the Eldelrid, over the Beal.

Have owned 2 Beal ropes and have found compared to Eldelrid and marmot ropes the build quality is not really on par with them.

I now own a set of 1/2 made by marmot and my single is Eldelrid.

I'm sorry to say this but you missed out on a amazing deal at GoOutdoors: it was £69.99 for a 60m Python. Just go a new rope even if i done need it right now.

Hope this helps
Chi
 Jungle_153 11 Jul 2011
In reply to kitk:

For a better deal you could look at a shorter rope. If you're only going to use it as you describe a rope of 30 to 50 metres should do the trick, depending on the height of the wall / crags you are likely to frequent. I use my 60m rope indoors and its a pain to keep coiling it, although good for outdoor multi pitch.

If however you're looking to move into multi pitching and longer single pitch routes then either rope you've highlighted would be good, I'd also consider a lighter thinner rope if you are thinking on developing your skills over a year or two as you'll not have to fork out for another rope in a years time.
kitk 12 Jul 2011
In reply to Blue031177:

Thanks all.

There is a 50m version of the Beal for £66.36 - which may be a better deal for less rope....i get what you say about thinner rope, but it may get stuffed more quickly as i am a beginner. I am pretty careful with my things, but being new to this game, I imagine what they say about ropes getting damaged when you start is a possibility....I shall have to take a look in the shops, try and see if i can find the magazine and talk to a few more people then just get on with it. Once I have the rope, the world's my lobster...
ice.solo 12 Jul 2011
In reply to kitk:

this will sound wrong, but really, any 10mm will work for you.

they all have to pass a bunch of tests, and so long as its from one of the big names, just go see what feels best to you and the colour you like.

if its for indoor and sport cragging then most of the details on the package (and which youve kindly included above) you wont need to worry about just now - maybe if you start alpine ice.

no rope lasts forever, so go grab what you like the feel of and have fun using it.
think about a 50m as it gives you enough to play with, is a bit cheaper, and you can chop the ends a bit if they get knackered.
 FreshSlate 12 Jul 2011
In reply to kitk: My first was a 10.4 a few years ago, a 10mm will be my next single and is now a good standard for all round use.
In reply to kitk: I also got the Python a few months back when it was on offer at GoOutdoors, unlucky that you missed that one. Think I have similar usage to you in that it's all indoors at the moment but am planning on going outdoor with it soon. Can't say I have any complaints other than its a bit annoying coiling it up at the end of an indoor session, but then it was worth it for the price I got!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...